Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I expect we want folks to pay attention to us. Is there anyone whose attention you specifically want and can't seem to get? Why?

I expect we want folks to pay attention to us. Is there anyone whose attention you specifically want and can't seem to get? Why?

Posted - June 18, 2019

Responses

• Nope, I'm not into drawing attention to myself. I'd rather not have attention. It's an aspect of being an introvert.
      June 18, 2019 10:01 AM MDT

I don't want to be performing for the camera in the spotlight on stage. I want to be BEHIND it directing others. Thank you for your reply SC and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      June 19, 2019 4:59 AM MDT

In conversations with my literary friends, it feels like an equal amount of give and take - and that is bliss.

If anything, I aim to listen more than I speak.
    Attention spans can be short with many people. 
    I wondered about all this and looked it up.
    Most people's attention begins to drift if one speaks for more than a minute.
    I try to condense what I need to say into about 45 seconds or three sentences max.

Writing gives me a lot more freedom.

Sometimes I wish my husband would pay more attention. It's frustrating when he forgets what I said a few seconds ago and when he forgets agreements (which I thought were genuine and freely made.) He's only 72 and I don't think he's got early dementia. He's always been this way.
      June 18, 2019 10:36 PM MDT

I hear you loud and clear m'dear. My Jim is 83 and I think he doesn't listen or hear me at all the first time. I find myself having to repeat myself a lot. But then truth be told he has to repeat himself a lot too. I had chemo for uterine cancer in 2008 and one of the side effects they told me about was loss of memory. I think it can be short-term as well as long-term. I will say something to him and then a few minutes later say it again or ask if I already said it having forgotten which is which. So far it doesn't concern me GREATLY since we are both in that same boat. As long as it doesn't sink and we can still row I think we'll be okay. I write precisely as I speak in my daily life.  I use the same words here as I do in my real life. Years ago on another internet social site (Answerbag)  a member said he avoided using "big words" on that site because he didn't want folks to think he was showing off! Well you can guess what I said! I said he was being very insulting to the other members in his assumption that they were so dumb they wouldn't understand him. I also said that changing the words he used was the same as lying. Instead of being authentically himself he "adjusted" to accommodate dummies. Which I thought was incredibly condescending patronizing and arrogant. So being whom you are everywhere you are is really what everyone should be. Tempered with kindness of course. That is always a good thing to me. Thank you for your thoughtful reply bw! :) As for me I have always been attracted to super intelligent people. I love to learn and I have specifically tried to surround myself with smart cookies. I have been blessed that they understand  WHY. Because I am a perennial student and there are so many teachers out there both professionally and organically.  So I attend classes every day on Answermug! :)
      June 19, 2019 5:15 AM MDT