Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you a people person? Excited to meet new people, expand your horizons? Or do you dread meeting strangers and avoid doing so? WHY?

Are you a people person? Excited to meet new people, expand your horizons? Or do you dread meeting strangers and avoid doing so? WHY?

Posted - June 18, 2019

Responses

I am anti-social  in politics and in people. Not a people person at all. 
      June 18, 2019 9:06 AM MDT

I am not being sarcastic. I am really surprised.  You seem quite friendly to people.  Okay.  I know you know better than I do about this one subject.
      June 18, 2019 1:49 PM MDT

I am friendly...I am just quiet, reserved and generally uncomfortable around new people in a social setting.  Funny thing is I deal with people everyday in my job.  I have to sell my products.  But that is different I am the boss...I am the one in charge. And still then I kind of have a set thing I say to everyone. I answer the same questions everyday. LOL. 
      June 18, 2019 1:55 PM MDT

SAY WHAT? WHAT? OK who are you and what did you do with my long-time pal m2c? Seriously! I'm shocked stunned and perplexed. Through the years despite our political "differences" you have always been there and reached out to me when I needed it. Now if you are what you say you are WHY would you do that? "Splain  yourself cuz I am befuddled. SIGH. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Wednesday to thee. I don't have to remind you about specifics do I?
      June 19, 2019 4:14 AM MDT

Key words long time pal. 
    I am not good with new people. And also it is easier for me online. 
    But thank you for the kind words. :)
      June 19, 2019 6:04 AM MDT

Touche! But I am very surprised that you think you are not good with new people sweetie. It's easier for me online too because my fingers can keep up with my brain more easily than my mouth can. Maybe it's like that for most of us. There is ease to typing that is often absent when speaking.  I like that line. I'm gonna use it.  If we go to a place where there are mostly strangers I just cling to Jim. I kind of get smaller and quieter. I know. Hard to imagine isn't it but it's true. Crowds intimidate me. Especially strangers. I'm better one-on-one and actually isn't that what an internet social site is? One-on-one interactions? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply. You're welcome but you know I only ever say what's on my mind. Sometimes that works for me. :) ((hugs))
      June 19, 2019 6:22 AM MDT

I enjoy people and expanding my horizons.  I just am not so in love with them that I get horizontal too often.  
      June 18, 2019 1:48 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Sharon. I fall in and out of "love" easily.
      June 19, 2019 4:16 AM MDT

Depends entirely on the kind of person.
    For years I hung around in a rural area and my friends were fellow horse riders or members of my yoga class - but I felt painfully lonely. I was acutely aware (plenty of obvious clues) of the necessity to hide my inner self in order to have those few friends.
    But then about three years ago I went back to university to study creative writing. There I've met fellow writers - people with broad ranges of interests and knowledge, people who are free and deep thinkers. Suddenly I am on fire, in love with life and the world. Now I have a small circle of friends who mean everything to me. I can be myself with them and they with me. It is the first time in my life when I've felt free to be fully myself and hold nothing back.
    Why?
    I have discovered over the years that non-intellectuals often hold a kind of inverted-intellectual-snobbery. They literally hate people with education. They are apt to say things like "brainy people have no common sense" (a myth), "you can't learn about life from a book" (it's amazing how much more one can learn about the world through books than what personal experience alone can teach), "boffins are buffoons who know nothing about how to relate to people" (conflates intelligence with Aspergers), and on and on it goes. I learned to hide to save myself from slurs like "you're too much in your head" and false accusations that I do not feel things. How those slights hurt!
    I discovered that their beliefs were rooted in shame-binds from experiences with toxic teachers in school days. In primary school, they developed the idea that they were stupid (almost everyone can learn if they want to.) They ceased making the effort to learn and fell increasingly behind. In the meantime, they developed coping strategies which helped them survive on the practical level - they got jobs in supermarkets or driving trucks - and life trickled along happily enough.
    There is nothing wrong with these people. The problem is with me.

Now that I've found my milieu, I've discovered that I love being with people. This post was edited by inky at June 19, 2019 4:17 AM MDT
      June 18, 2019 10:18 PM MDT

Welcome home bw! ((hugs)). Nice to have the real you here. Mediocrity is celebrated. Mediocrity doesn't threaten people. Mediocrity comforts them. Mediocrity is always vanilla.  That's why mediocrity so often WINS. Take Mayor Pete! A Rhodes Scholar I believe. Speaks 6 or 7 languages. Served in the military! Is a successful MAYOR of an American City. Honest honorable brilliant and authentic. What chance will he have vis a vis the people who adore the current occupant of the big house whitehouse? Zilch. In the olden days (I'm 81) EDUCATION WAS CELEBRATED. ACHIEVEMENT was measured by old-time standards of EXCELLENCE AUTHENTICITY CREATIVITY INVENTIVENESS IMAGINATION SINGULAR. Now all of those things have been forced underground. They are suspect and as such are vilified denigrated demeaned attacked. The "people" want mediocre and dull and predictability more than anything. They will give up security and stability and honor to get it. They teach their children to aspire to mediocre too. Isn't that a sad devolution of how things used to be? We are in a nosedive, tailspin. A crash is coming. These mediocrity lovers don't care. How do you make people care? I shall ask. Anyway I ADMIRE excellence intelligence creativity authenticity. There are a few old birds like me who do as well. We are surrounded by a sea of ordinary standard off-the-shelf pre-programmed folks who cede thinking to others because well thinking is hard work. I'm glad you are living the life you were intended to live. We all have to find our niche in life. I'm glad you found yours bw!  Thank you for sharing more of whom you are with us! :)
      June 19, 2019 4:29 AM MDT