Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you wish you were iin the Land of Cotton where the good times there were not forgotten? Or do your remember it a little differently?

Do you wish you were iin the Land of Cotton where the good times there were not forgotten? Or do your remember it a little differently?

Posted - June 22, 2019

Responses

• There's buckwheat cakes and Injun batter,
    Makes you fat or a little fatter
    Look away! Look away! Look away!
    Dixie Land
      June 22, 2019 3:26 PM MDT

Injun 

INJUN.  LOL

Injun BUTTER?  That sounds worse than the N word.  
      June 23, 2019 12:34 AM MDT

• There's buckwheat cakes and Injun batter,
    Makes you fat or a little fatter
    Look away! Look away! Look away!
    Dixie Land
      June 22, 2019 3:26 PM MDT

There was never anything idyllic about the land of cotton for anyone with open eyes and a heart.
    Probably you meant it ironically.
    Try reading Toni Morrison's novel, "Belovéd," magical realism but based on careful historical documentation of cases.
      June 22, 2019 3:35 PM MDT

PROBABLY?  

Are you serious?  Do you think I am FOR this idea?   I think my question speaks volumes.   I think the picture speaks volumes.  These ARE SLAVES.  Please do not insult me.  Please.

I would deeply appreciate it if you were to read what I say as carefully as you write what you write.

I am making a big deal of this simply because I do not want anyone on here to think I would EVER think this is some special homily about the South.  

It is evidence of just how clueless the WHITE SOUTH was.  That is OBVIOUSLY what this question is portraying.   I love the line "look away" "look away" because that is exactly what WHITE SLAVE OWNER DID EVERY DAY.  There is no sorrow or suffering, just look away..... This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 23, 2019 11:16 AM MDT
      June 23, 2019 11:07 AM MDT

• I just know the Schoolhouse Rock lyrics:

Oh, things were rotten in the land of cotton
    'til Whitney made the cotton gin
    Now old times there will soon be forgotten
    'cause it did the work of 100 men

June 23, 2019 10:51 AM MDT

It's amazing how people can look around and write a nostalgic song when they were not victims of oppression.  They can just look AWAY.  Look AWAY.
      June 23, 2019 11:09 AM MDT

No way do I wish  I was in the land of cotton because there are poisonous snakes there ( I scream when I see a harmless garden snake). The way I see slavery is a slave could be getting whipped - fall down get bite by a poisonous snake - left to die and if their family or friends stopped working they would get wiped. I was just thinking that maybe some day those times will be forgotten and immigrants and maybe minorities will get rounded up and forced to work in the fields. I was also thinking if you want to read some interesting info on the war on slavery across the pond  - Google Queen Nanny and the Jamaican Maroons. Cheers!
      June 23, 2019 11:43 AM MDT

I hate to tell you but there are poisonous snakes all over.  Not just there.  But there are a lot of SNAKES in the South. Many of them work for Donald Trump.  And many just LOOK AWAY.  LOOK AWAY.  LOOK AWAY.....
      June 23, 2019 12:28 PM MDT