Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Cities are refusing to cooperate with the feds during the upcoming immigration raids. What do you make of this?

Cities are refusing to cooperate with the feds during the upcoming immigration raids. What do you make of this?

Personally, I think it's freaking awesome, but at the same time, the fragmentation of the country worries me. 

Details on the story here: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration/us-cities-brace-for-immigration-raids-say-they-will-not-participate-idUSKCN1TM2F1

Posted - June 22, 2019

Responses

NYC has always done that, so I'm happy to hear that others are joining in.  Yes, we need to have immigration reform, but we can't treat people like stray dogs and put them in kennels - especially children.
      June 22, 2019 5:26 PM MDT

ICE is Federal, leave it to the Feds. They can take the flack for it. Let the Gmen earn their pay.

The local jurisdictions have enough of their own concerns. 
      June 22, 2019 6:01 PM MDT

I'm in favour of locals having greater rights of self-determination so long as the choices cause no harm.

It's a wonderful thing when humans have a humanitarian spirit and are willing to act as Good Samaritans.
    Imagine escaping from starvation or political persecution and suddenly finding oneself in a world of total rejection at every turn.
    Imagine finding a corner of the world where locals make one welcome, offer work, and appreciate our willingness to contribute to the common good.
    The USA is an amalgamation of states which are somewhat like countries or nations. It would be good to see that freedom thrive.

I am aware of the cohort that views illegal immigrants as out-competing in the job stakes and stealing jobs. While there is undercutting and it's wrong, it's the legal system that makes it possible. If the migrants are permitted legitimacy, then they work under the same rates as everyone else and it becomes a matter of merit. And the larger the population, the more goods and services are required - there's a natural balance in the trade.
    The children of migrants soon become integrated as Americans.

The same happens in Australia.

As to fracturing, I think over time, neighbouring states would soon see how the hosts benefit and thrive.
      June 22, 2019 6:51 PM MDT

Glad to see it happening.
    This administration is 
    using fear tactics
    and bullying techniques,
    that they love to embrace.
         Glad to see some standing up
    for humane attitudes.

June 22, 2019 7:30 PM MDT

Talk about divisive.  We have the FEDS on the one hand, being denigrated by Trump for telling the truth about his crimes.

Then we have this faction of the FEDS.  

I mean what do we have now, Good FEDS and Bad FEDS? 

June 23, 2019 12:17 AM MDT

• Is illegal crossing illegal or not?  Yes or no?
      June 23, 2019 6:29 AM MDT

• Aaaaand...the raids were cancelled. Because it was just more bluffing on Trump's part. 
      June 23, 2019 10:49 AM MDT

Florida's new law (SB 168) requires local and state law enforcement officials and entities to honor federal "immigration detainer" requests, which ask a law enforcement agency to detain someone on probable cause that they are "removable" under federal immigration laws. It also prohibits local officials from implementing "sanctuary" policies, which had previously not been defined in state law, and gives the governor the authority to remove them if they do not comply with the law.  The law takes effect 7-1-2019.  Perhaps this is why the roundup was delayed, I don't know.

Miami is on the list (I read a week or so ago) of cities.
      June 23, 2019 3:37 PM MDT

I know they postponed but I think any city that does not cooperate should loose all federal funding for everything.

We are not talking about random illegals.  We are talking about people who already have had their day in court. There is already an court ordered deportation order.  We are either a nation of laws or we are not.  If these people do not have to follow the laws and courts orders, why does anyone else in this country have to....I do not like paying my taxes but the laws and courts say I am required to pay.  Well, these courts have said these people must be deported. 
      June 25, 2019 3:58 PM MDT

I agree with you that the law should be upheld,
    and but I believe the laws are unjust.
    If I had my way, only refugees and asylum seekers who are proven terrorists would be deported - and that instantly (at the nation's, not the state's or the city's) expense.
    According to UN statistics, less than 0.3% of refugees from countries afflicted by terrorism so far have been found to have had an association or active involvement with a terrorist organisation. Most are refugees from poverty, criminal ghettos, climate change or political or religious persecution. If they had not fled, they and their children would be dead or in slavery.
    I realise that absorbing so many people is extremely difficult and creates many cultural challenges - but what alternatives do these people have? What Good Samaritan could refuse them?
      June 25, 2019 4:20 PM MDT

Under UN law, economic is not a valid reason for asylum. I have no problem with the seeking to come to the US but they can do it legally. Apply in their country and wait for permission to come to the country. That is the proper way to immigrate to a country, your first action in the new country should not be to break the laws.
      June 25, 2019 5:10 PM MDT

Just ridiculous. Cut off Medicare (among other essential services) because local cops won’t do the Feds jobs for them. Threaten taxpayers- great thinking. Despot much? 

Hint: it is the federal Homeland Security Dept’s ICE division’s responsibility to carry out those FEDERAL laws.
    Not local police, or local governments. Period.  
    Maybe police where YOU live have time, manpower and funding to carry out federal raids, ...and maybe not. 
    Maybe a perusal of the Constitution will enlighten you as to States’ Rights to self-determination,... and maybe not. 
      June 25, 2019 4:23 PM MDT

A cop"s job is to enforce the laws. No one is asking them to round them up just hold them in custody if there is a deportation/hold order. It is safer for all involved if they do this including the illegals themselves and their neighbors.

All maybe to strong a word... not things like medical or food subsidies, education.  But anything for law enforcement, infrastructure, nope. 
      June 25, 2019 5:45 PM MDT

Maybe you’ve never heard the term “unfunded mandate”.
    I can guarantee every badge in your neck of the woods knows what it means, and safe to say it doesn’t inspire lockstep cooperation. 

Blackmailing taxpayers is a curious strategy. Like shutting down the govt on purpose during the holidays. Both just as politically tenable. 

June 25, 2019 6:26 PM MDT

Holding criminals until ICE picks them up from the jail or court is not an unfunded mandate.....they get money from the Fed gov they are funded. This post was edited by my2cents at June 25, 2019 7:11 PM MDT
      June 25, 2019 7:11 PM MDT

New York sends $40.9B more to the feds than it gets back.  I'm more than willing to have the feds refuse to fund anything in my state and we will be $40.9B richer.  Great idea, my2cents.  Thanks.

June 25, 2019 8:40 PM MDT

I live in a so-called "sanctuary city".  Actually it is a large old country town in which mostly well-to-do people can afford to live.  I think people desperately want to feel they are "good" and that they are "doing good".  And I guess harboring and defending illegal immigrants has become the latest fad.  The people who want to do this are not bad people but they don't seem to have much feeling for or understanding of the consequences of their actions.  I know of no instances where this has gone on here. But of course they would not tell me about any instances because they know I would report them to the government. JA the affluent do often just feel so satisfied and protected they never even think that anything would ever be capable of cracking that veneer.  They feel guilty for feeling that so they try and make atonement.  They want to save the whole world and of course understand that is impossible. So they posture and seek forgiveness and I guess fulfillment in trying to stand by and stand up for who they regard as "victims". 
      July 3, 2019 5:38 AM MDT