Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Maurice214
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Another animal question. What species of birds are in your area?

Another animal question. What species of birds are in your area?

Sparrows (several species)
Finches
robins
cardinals
grackles
starlings
crows
ravens
hummingbirds (one specie)
pigeons
doves
red-tail hawks
owls
wood peckers
Great blue herons
Coots (Mudhens)
various ducks
Canada geese
Swans
egrets
red-wing blackbirds
Bald eagles
loons
various gulls
swallows
wild turkeys
bluejays
vultures

Posted - June 25, 2019

Responses

Lots of robins and occasional cardinals. A ton of geese. I don't really pay attention to the others. 
      June 25, 2019 8:50 PM MDT

Within a 10-mile radius of this place one can see...

Bald Eagles
    Herons
    Swallows
    Owls (asstd.)
    Blue Jays
    Woodpeckers
    Hummingbirds
    Geese (Canadian)
    Mallards
    Quail (california)
    Turkeys
    Peacocks
    Grouse
    Gulls
    Crows
    Robins
    Vultures
    Sparrows (asstd.)
    Scrub Jays
    Goldfinches
    Blackbirds
    Orioles
    Pigeons
    Doves
    Kites
    Red-tailed hawks
    Titmouse (yes, its a bird)
    Sand Cranes (especially during migration times)
    Bluebirds
    Chickens
    (just to name a few)

And of course..

House Finches

This post was edited by Shuhak at June 26, 2019 6:51 AM MDT
      June 25, 2019 10:18 PM MDT

(Canada geese) Good list. We probably have a few that you listed that I didn't. I would have to ask my sister. I think she has seen orioles.
      June 26, 2019 6:53 AM MDT

You might get more than you expected here...

I'm in the Tweed Valley, on the far north coast of NSW, Eastern Australia. It is subtropical, with four kinds of rainforest as well as open crop and grazing lands, swamps, lakes, rivers, mangroves, beach dunes and rocky cliffs. It has the highest diversity of species in NSW and is world heritage listed. 

Sea and estuarine birds
    Eastern (Grey) Reef Egret, Australian White Ibis, Straw-necked Ibis, Royal Spoonbill, Eastern Osprey, Gull-billed Tern, Crested Tern, Silver Gull  

Waterbirds, lakes, swamps, low lying ground
    Purple Swamphen, Dusky Moorhen, Eurasian Coot, Aust. Pied Oystercatcher, Sooty Oystercatcher, Black-winged Stilt, Masked Lapwing, Whimbrel,Bar-tailed Godwit, Black-fronted Dotterel, Bar-tailed Godwit, Magpie Goose, Plumed Whistling-Duck, Wandering Whistling-Duck, Black Swan, Australian Wood Duck, Grey Teal, Chestnut Teal, Pacific Black Duck, Hardhead or White-Eyed Duck, Australasian Grebe, Australasian Darter, Little Pied Cormorant, Great Cormorant, Little Black Cormorant, Pied Cormorant, Australian Pelican, White-necked Heron, Eastern Great Egret, Intermediate Egret, Cattle Egret, Striated Heron, White-faced Heron, Little Egret, Azure Kingfisher, Forest Kingfisher, Sacred Kingfisher, Collared Kingfisher, Mangrove Gerygone, Mangrove Honeyeater,  

Grassland birds
    Brown Quail, Buff-banded Rail, Eastern Curlew, 

Light forest and shrub birds - where shrubs provide a liminal zone between forest and grasslands
    Pheasant Coucal, Eastern Koel, Channel-billed Cuckoo, Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Brush Cuckoo, 
    Australian Brush-turkey, Superb Fairy-wren, Red-backed Fairy-wren, Variegated Fairy-wren, White-browed Scrubwren, Large-billed Scrubwren, White-throated Gerygone, Rainbow Bee-eater, Dollarbird, Noisy Pitta, Brown Thornbill, Spotted Pardalote, Striated Pardalote, Eastern Spinebill, Lewin’s Honeyeater, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, Noisy Miner, Little Wattlebird, Scarlet Honeyeater, Brown Honeyeater, White-cheeked Honeyeater, Blue-faced Honeyeater, Noisy Friarbird, Little Friarbird, Striped Honeyeater, Black-faced Cuckooshrike, Cicadabird, Varied Triller, Golden Whistler, Rufous Whistler, Little Shrike-thrush, Grey Shrike-thrush, Olive-backed Oriole, White-breasted Woodswallow, Rufous Fantail, Grey Fantail, Willie Wagtail, Leaden Flycatcher, Restless Flycatcher, White-eared Monarch   

Dry Forest - Casurina, eucalypts, shrubs, fruit trees, nectar flowering trees and semi-open
    Yellow-tailed BlackCockatoo, Galah, Little Corella, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Rainbow Lorikeet, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Australian King-Parrot, Eastern Rosella, Pale-headed Rosella,
    Grey Butcherbird, Pied Butcherbird, Australian Magpie, Pied Currawong, Laughing Kookaburra, Torresian Crow 

Rainforest birds
    Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon), White-headed Pigeon, Spotted Dove, Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Emerald Dove, Crested Pigeon, Peaceful Dove, Bar-shouldered Dove, Wonga Pigeon, Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove, Topknot Pigeon, White-throated Needletail, Green Catbird, Regent Bowerbird, Satin Bowerbird, Australian Logrunner, Eastern Whipbird, Australasian Figbird, Alberts Lyrebird, Spangled Drongo  

Raptors
    Wedge-tailed Eagle, Peregrin Falcon, Tawny Frogmouth Owl, Black-shouldered Kite, Pacific Baza, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Whistling Kite, Brahminy Kite, Black Kite, Brown Goshawk, Collared Sparrowhawk, Spotted Harrier, Swamp Harrier, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Nankeen Kestrel 
      June 25, 2019 11:44 PM MDT

OH MY LORD!!!!!
      June 25, 2019 11:45 PM MDT

Yikes. What a list. I forgot we have peregrin falcons.
      June 26, 2019 6:55 AM MDT

Well, I told you most of them in the other question and there are so many answers here already, that I will just tell you I have these in my house. 

Thing 1, Thing 2
    Nuka and Coka
    Yellow and Willow and Aretha and Franklin.

June 25, 2019 11:49 PM MDT

This is the first animal question I have come across.  I must start backwards.
    There's a big surprise!
    Between you, Shuhak, and especially bookworm, it's a wonder any of you ever see the sun!  
    Nooooo.  It is wonderful that you have such a variety and actually KNOW them by sight.  Very, very cool!
     We have many but I can't name them all by their given scientific latin name.
    I'm better with dogs and horses when it comes to naming the breed or type. :)
    However, we do have some very special birds I/we have personally named. :)  They are wild and live outside but these definitely stand out and watch over us.  I'm serious! ;)  It is crazy-fun! :)
    Don has this owl that hoots for him some nights. He wanted to name her "Hooters" but I told him I thought she would be appalled. He opted for "Who? Who?"  Instead.  When he sits outside at night, she comes over to talk to him.  When I am outside by myself, she doesn't say a word but I can see her.  I talk to her and she glares at me.  It's a Hoot! (I couldn't resist!)
    We have our buzz birds, commonly known by others as hummingbirds.  They vary in color.  Element, you and I had a great chat not too long ago about the different types of hummingbirds we have in our given areas.  I haven't named any of those individually.  We know the difference in them when they come to the feeder. We wave at them and talk to them.  They look at us out of the corner of their eye with the, "You do know we don't dig on the wave thing and if you insist on talking to us, please brush your teeth, first," sort of look.  Our house sits so we are eye to buzz-bird eye with them at the feeder.  When they are running low on food, they buzz right up to my ear and dive-bomb me.  That, and how fast their wings move is how they got their nicknames. :)It's funny. They are spoiled and boss me around all the time.
    We have our fair share of seagulls but only one Jonathon that comes to visit us all by himself from time to time.  I can tell.  Don't laugh too hard.  He has a mark or a scar on his left wing.  He always make me smile.
    We have our love birds named. "coo" and "coo."  Not too orginal but that is what they do for us at night. I really think they might be pigeons but we don't tell them that.  I like the coo-coo's and the sound they make. :)
    We have Kitty and Hawk.  A pair of red winged hawks, I believe.  They have a nest we can see.  It's amazing to watch them hunt.  We love it when they do, not only for our entertainment but because they feed on he squirells and rats!  How can you beat that??  They have been around for a long time.  It is nice.
    And finally, we have Crawford.  He is my long-time, very loyal, always there to guide me, dear friend.  He is a crow.
    I should write a book about Crawford and me. 
    This crow and I have had a long and meaningful friendship.
    His name has nothing to do with politics. 
    We have many more but those are the few that seem to want to be part of our lives and we enjoy their company. :) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at June 26, 2019 6:58 AM MDT
      June 26, 2019 3:34 AM MDT

I asked a mammal question earlier.

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/84119/what-mammal-critters-live-in-your-area/view/post_id/656109 This post was edited by Element 99 at June 27, 2019 12:43 AM MDT
      June 26, 2019 6:59 AM MDT

I have many birds. Most you've already mentioned. Did I see Woodcocks in there?
      June 26, 2019 4:18 AM MDT

Not on my list, but that doesn't mean they aren't here. My sister knows more about them.
      June 26, 2019 7:00 AM MDT

Robins
    Finch (yellow and blue)
    Ducks
    Chickens
    Buzzards
    Doves
    Cardinals
    Blue jay
    Crow
    Geese
    Eagles
    Hawks
    Whippoorwill
    Bunch others I do not know the names.
      June 26, 2019 7:11 AM MDT

dupe... This post was edited by excon at June 26, 2019 7:47 AM MDT
      June 26, 2019 7:47 AM MDT

A total of 436 bird species have been documented in my state which is why you'll understand why I can't list them all here.
      June 26, 2019 7:56 AM MDT