Discussion » Questions » Communication » Are Islamophobes and Homophobes Correctly Labeled?

Are Islamophobes and Homophobes Correctly Labeled?

Consider:

The word 'phobia,' upon which the suffix '-phobe' is based, is itself based on the Greek word 'Phobos' (meaning fear or the personification thereof).  The dictionary (and popular understanding) has the definition of 'homophobia' as the fear OR hatred of homosexuals.  (We'll just assume the same rules apply in regard to 'Islamophobia.' I haven't looked it up. :-))

Fear and hatred are two wholly distinct emotions requiring equally distinct responses from society, so how is either term accurate (or fair) for both of the 'phobias' each is used to describe?  (Maybe the wholesale manufacture of nonsensical neologisms is why people are getting so sick of the clear tyranny of political correctness?)

Let's use myself for an example. While I do not fear or hate homosexuals, I definitely DO fear Islam--as any rational person would--and I certainly do not hate Muslims.   Why, in my case, should I be considered a 'hater' when I 'hate' no one?   Why should anyone?  Why do people have such a hard time differentiating between an ideology which is fully WORTHY of rational fear (to say nothing of hatred), and those who've fallen victim to it who may or may not be worthy of fear?

Posted - September 4, 2016

Responses

• You're a hater because you make degrading and hateful comments and jokes about Muslims and gays. That's why you're a hater.

September 4, 2016 7:45 AM MDT

• Trying to explain the meaning of those words using their constituent roots is not always going to be useful nor is it going to give you a clear-cut explanation of the definition. For example, the word "hydrophobic" combines the roots for "fear" and "water", yet this word is used in a chemical sense to refer to substances that repel water; I don't think anyone would claim those substances are "afraid" of water. That said, yes, you're correct, the word cannot differentiate between fear and hatred. If you're called "Islamophobe", we don't know if that means you fear it or you hate it. For the most part, those who are wary of Islam shouldn't be confused with those who are just bigots, but often there is little differentiation. If you believe Islam is to be feared, you probably believe Islam is dangerous, harmful, and worthy of being, well...hated? 

September 4, 2016 9:19 AM MDT

Muslim
    noun Mus·lim \ˈməz-ləm, ˈmu̇s-, ˈmu̇z-\

: a person whose religion is Islam : a follower of Islam

——

Islam
    noun Is·lam \is-ˈläm, iz-, -ˈlam, ˈis-ˌ, ˈiz-ˌ\

: the religion which teaches that there is only one God and that Muhammad is God's prophet : the religion of Muslims
    : the modern nations in which Islam is the main religion
      September 4, 2016 9:32 AM MDT
  • Bez

If the dictionary says "phobia" means "hatred" then the dictionary is wrong about that. "Phobia" means "fear", it always has done and it always will. As you say, fear and hatred are two wholly distinct emotions requiring equally distinct responses from society.

If one is homophobic, I would define that as being afraid of being on the receiving end of an unwanted homosexual assault. As for Islamophobia, that's a fear of Islam which stems from Islam's reputation for using violent means to try to take over the world. But do these things also mean hatred? Not necessarily. I must admit, I do worry about the thought of Islam taking over the world, but despite that I don't hate individual people just because they are Muslims. With me, I only hate people for PERSONAL reasons when they have done something to offend me PERSONALLY. It has nothing to do with sexuality or religion (or race, for that matter). I certainly don't hate an entire group of people just because of something personal that one of them has done. That kind of attitude is totally nonsensical and incomprehensible to me simply because it's so...well, IMPERSONAL, and therefore totally alien to my highly PERSONAL way of thinking.

In short, I would say Islamophobes and homophobes are inaccurately labelled.

September 4, 2016 9:41 AM MDT
  • Bez

I think the real reason why Islam is seen as dangerous and harmful is because it appears to threaten people's comfort zones, and how many people take kindly to their comfort zones being threatened or destroyed? I'm not only wary of Islam for that reason, I'm wary of all kinds of things for that reason. Anything that appears to be a threat to the status quo as I remember it in my childhood is definitely to be viewed with extreme caution. That doesn't mean anything remotely on the lines of hatred and bigotry, it's simply the normal human reaction to the dreaded C-word. I don't hate Muslims as people at all, most of them seem quiet individuals who don't bother anyone else. Also, I like Cat Stevens as a singer, I have some of his music in my collection, and he famously became a Muslim in the late 1970s. If I hated Muslims I wouldn't want anything to do with him, would I? I guess this brings us back to that PERSONAL way of thinking which I emphasised in my own answer to this question.

September 4, 2016 9:49 AM MDT

Prove it.  Cite ONE example where I've said anything degrading or hateful about Muslims and gays.

ONE comment.  That's all you need to establish that you're not a liar.

September 4, 2016 2:33 PM MDT

Correct on all counts.

September 4, 2016 2:34 PM MDT

September 4, 2016 2:35 PM MDT

The two are not the same. Only some morons would assume they were.

Islam is an ideology--a sick/sadistic one, but still.

Muslims are people.  Not all people--hell, not all Muslims--think alike.

September 4, 2016 2:36 PM MDT

Bingo!

September 4, 2016 2:38 PM MDT

Who said the same? Islam is the religion of Muslims. Simple as that.

I'll let the moron stand by itself.
      September 4, 2016 3:20 PM MDT
  • Bez

September 4, 2016 4:22 PM MDT

• I would suggest that although separate, there are strong links between fear and hatred.  Although not required of each other, they are often found together, although 'fear' can often be substituted for 'ignorant' - another of this happy group of words that are often found hanging out in the same places.

September 4, 2016 8:54 PM MDT

This is a guilt-by-association kind of thing, Sap.  The epithet only applies to those who have conflated -ist and -ism.  You're obviously not one such individual, so...

September 5, 2016 12:04 AM MDT

Perhaps.  I can only speak for myself, so while I might 'hate' the ism I do not hate those who've been afflicted by it...no moreso than I would 'hate' a person with cholera.

September 5, 2016 12:06 AM MDT

It's a guilt-by-association kind of thing. You're so right. Some do have associations, and try to put them on others and have them fit into that someone and their world picture. It's all about perspective, so...
      September 5, 2016 12:57 AM MDT

Correct!

September 5, 2016 1:02 AM MDT

I know.
      September 5, 2016 1:04 AM MDT

Good.  LOL!

September 5, 2016 1:34 AM MDT

Yes.
      September 5, 2016 1:45 AM MDT

Indeed. :-)

September 5, 2016 1:52 AM MDT

I don't need your confirmation. Thanks anyway. Lol.
      September 5, 2016 1:54 AM MDT
  • Bez

September 5, 2016 1:55 AM MDT

This isn't about what you need, dear. :-)

September 5, 2016 2:04 AM MDT