Discussion » Questions » Communication » Are Islamophobes and Homophobes Correctly Labeled?

Are Islamophobes and Homophobes Correctly Labeled?

Consider:

The word 'phobia,' upon which the suffix '-phobe' is based, is itself based on the Greek word 'Phobos' (meaning fear or the personification thereof).  The dictionary (and popular understanding) has the definition of 'homophobia' as the fear OR hatred of homosexuals.  (We'll just assume the same rules apply in regard to 'Islamophobia.' I haven't looked it up. :-))

Fear and hatred are two wholly distinct emotions requiring equally distinct responses from society, so how is either term accurate (or fair) for both of the 'phobias' each is used to describe?  (Maybe the wholesale manufacture of nonsensical neologisms is why people are getting so sick of the clear tyranny of political correctness?)

Let's use myself for an example. While I do not fear or hate homosexuals, I definitely DO fear Islam--as any rational person would--and I certainly do not hate Muslims.   Why, in my case, should I be considered a 'hater' when I 'hate' no one?   Why should anyone?  Why do people have such a hard time differentiating between an ideology which is fully WORTHY of rational fear (to say nothing of hatred), and those who've fallen victim to it who may or may not be worthy of fear?

Posted - September 4, 2016

Responses

Sorry, but I'm not your dear. Your previous behaviour has shown you don't mean such words in a genuine way in any context involving my person.

Whatever motives you might have. Frankly...
      September 5, 2016 2:18 AM MDT

But you are dear to me, Sap.  You're a broken child of God same as me. (Whether you believe in a God or gods is irrelevant; I do.) In a sense you're my sister.  A fractious, combative one to be sure, but a sister nevertheless. In any case I do not dislike you and I certainly harbor no ill will toward you.

And my "previous behavior" has been deliberately modeled in reaction to the behavior of others, so using it as a basis for an assay of my character really isn't the best of all possible standards.  You might actually take the time to get to know me before operating on the basis of prejudicial ideas.

As to my motives, here's a novel approach. ASK me about them. I promise to be as honest about them as possible.

September 5, 2016 2:31 AM MDT

I'm not interested Nimitz. Someone who needs to say peace after making personal assaults isn't my kind of preferred company, and most certainly not any "brother" or even a "relative" to me. All the God nonsense doesn't really bite on me.

You're outbreaks making personal comments about me in third person making accusations about MY motives closed any possibility for civility. It only confirmed previously behaviour and builds on the character you want to marketeer yourself with online. Not something I want to be associated with.
      September 5, 2016 2:38 AM MDT

If you're not interested, then why do you continue to respond to me and/or get the last word in?  Is getting the last word important to you?  If so, this can be my last response. (BTW, I've indicated, previously, a desire to strike a deal with you: you don't talk to me and I won't talk to you. Do you now wish to accept those terms?)

And how exactly does text on a screen represent any kind of 'assault'?  LOL! 

(You must have missed that part where I said your belief in God/gods was irrelevant to MY perceptions/position.)

As for your last paragraph, I'm afraid you'll have to provide examples of such "third person outbreaks" for me to have any clue about what you're talking.

September 5, 2016 2:45 AM MDT

As I recall it you were not offering me a deal. You made a choice for your own part, and made a request to me, but weren't making your choice depending on my response or acting afterwards. However you have shown you're not able to hold the courtesy you were going to show me. All I have done from my side since then, with one exception has been to add comments that clearly were about the subject asked about and not YOU, and furthermore comments left to others (NOT you) that have contributed to your questions.

I don't care about the last word. I have shown previously I don't, and have given you the last word on several occasions.

As for your usual give me examples. No, I don't have to. You will know for yourself. Keep lying to yourself if you claim not knowing what they are. It will be your choice if you want to keep up that kind of behaviour or not. It has shown me a great deal about your online personality. As said, not one I cherish.

Now go make up your decision IF you want to live up to your own words or not. Bye.
      September 5, 2016 3:09 AM MDT

:-)

September 5, 2016 3:11 AM MDT

• Nah, it's alright.

September 5, 2016 11:35 AM MDT

• Weren't you just asking for just one example earlier?

September 5, 2016 11:37 AM MDT

• Nice back pedaling there buddy.

September 5, 2016 11:37 AM MDT

Another drive-by liberal bites the dust. :-)

September 5, 2016 2:24 PM MDT

Nope.

September 5, 2016 2:25 PM MDT

•   September 5, 2016 6:16 PM MDT

September 5, 2016 6:23 PM MDT

• I think it's various things. One thing I noticed is that it is often used as a smear tactic. You have to question if the person actually believes that the other is an islamophobe or homophobe and it isn't just because of their politics. A lot of people don't like to be questioned about the "way" see their reality. I also think a lot of people won't ever admit that the other party have good points because it would be admitting that the people they admire the most are not perfect and it would force them to re-evaluate the way they see things.

They see things as black and white.

Take sharia law for example you know how many times I've heard that I am lying? They don't actually believe that. There's no way they can deny things that are right in front of them. Most victims of sharia law are MUSLIM but they still dismiss it as pure racism if I talk about it because of the logical fallacy of "well I know Muslim neighbors and THEY don't do it." Even though I can name many reasons why that is so.

People are just intellectually lazy and when it comes down to it they don't like being questioned and they don't like people that question.

The word phobia deals with irrational fear. I do NOT have an irrational fear of Muslims. Those people who say that make crappy psychologists.

September 5, 2016 6:54 PM MDT

• There it is, your example I mean.

September 6, 2016 7:58 AM MDT

• No, but it makes you one.

September 6, 2016 9:51 AM MDT

September 6, 2016 1:40 PM MDT

I would say that if you fear Islam, you have "Islamophobia", because, in terms of the meaning of the term "phobia", it refers to having a persistent fear of or aversion to something. 

Does that answer your question? 

September 8, 2016 9:47 AM MDT

Yep!  It answers it flawlessly...

...And correctly.  Any rational person would have good reason to fear Islam.  Maybe not all Muslims, but certainly Islam.  It's one of humanity's most insidious and brutally metastatic ideologies.

September 8, 2016 2:28 PM MDT

Perhaps. And others would same the same about Christianity... not all Christians, but certainly Christianity. 

I have come around to really understanding people who despise religion, in any form, because of the conflict it causes. I'm not among those people, I still believe that it can be a very positive part of people's lives and bring comfort to them. I do understand why people feel that way, though. So many horrible things have been done throughout history in the name of religion, and there's no reason to think that will ever cease. 

Personally, I subscribe to the line of thinking that it's the actions of individuals, regardless of their alleged religious or theological beliefs (or lack thereof) that really define who they are as human beings. I try not to fear or hate entire groups of people, with a few obvious exceptions (i.e - racists, rapists). But again, that's based on their actions, not their ideology.  

September 8, 2016 8:26 PM MDT

Not really.

September 8, 2016 8:29 PM MDT

1) I could see that...if there were a scriptural (NT) commandment to kill the infidel. :-)

2) I couldn't agree more--with every word.  I'm a Christian to be sure, but I've not much use for organized religion, and I have ZERO use for fundamentalism in ANY form.

3) Weird!  Same here!  I do 'hate (more like intensely dislike)' various destructive ideologies, but I try to judge people by their proverbial fruits.

September 8, 2016 10:12 PM MDT

Correct!

September 8, 2016 10:13 PM MDT

September 9, 2016 8:26 AM MDT

Nah, The words "Bigot" or "Hater" are both more precise, so that would be preferable ;-))

September 9, 2016 8:34 AM MDT