Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you enjoy having INANIMATE objects "talk" to you? Your phone computer car refrigerator TV whatever? Why?

Do you enjoy having INANIMATE objects "talk" to you? Your phone computer car refrigerator TV whatever? Why?

Posted - June 29, 2019

Responses

I have no objects that talk to me.  
      June 29, 2019 9:10 AM MDT

Years ago the company computer guy set my computer to say "Good morning Rosemarie" when I turned it on one morning. I told him to shut it off. It creeped me out bigly. I've seen commercials that will have a computer in the car tell you "the door is ajar". Not in my car! Thank you for your reply L and Happy Sunday! Now there is Alexis and/or other smart phone gizmos that absolutely talk to you and reply to your questions. When you dial a number most often a computer voice will give you options and if you finally get to a human being you are very lucky!  We have a GPS system that talks to us. We let it know our destination. It knows where we are and so it will show us how to get to where we wanna be and tell us how far we are from a turn and it tells us "you have arrived at your destination". That I live with because it's better than getting lost. Otherwise? No sale. Of course answering machines do that all the time. This post was edited by RosieG at June 30, 2019 6:14 AM MDT
      June 30, 2019 4:40 AM MDT

LOL ... I do have an integrated answering machine on my phone and I do use GPS (or I'd wind up in Alaska), so those things are OK.  I'm not getting Alexa or anything else that talks to me.  Happy Sunday. :)
      June 30, 2019 6:16 AM MDT

Me too neither honey! I can only take so much L! You too I see! Is it Alexa not Alexia? Anyway talking back to a disembodied voice that isn't even human is very scifi. You'd think that my being a scifi fan I'd be into it. I'm not! Happy Sunday right backatcha m'dear! :)
      June 30, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

It is Alexa.  I like the peace and quiet of my home - don't need artificial intelligence talking to me. :)
      June 30, 2019 6:22 AM MDT

Ditto. The Answering Machine is bad enough but it beats talking to a salespitcher! :)
      June 30, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

I've been pretty fortunate. I've had an unlisted number since I moved into my own apartment, so I don't get as many robocalls as some others do.  
      June 30, 2019 11:40 AM MDT

I don't have an answering machine, though I don't know what the message recording says (I've never tried ringing my own phone to find out!).

My car beeps if I open the door with the lights still on - which is very useful. It has saved me from a flat battery a few times.

Other than that, no, and I would not want anything beyond things like that warning beep! My microwave does ping at minute intervals after it's finished cooking, until I open the door, and I use this as the "Stand for 1 minute" timer.

I don't want or need gadgets like Aleksa or whatever. (Is that the right spelling?), and I can't be doing with all this "smart home" twaddle the gadget sellers keep reckoning we'll "all" have. I am perfectly capable of setting the central-heating boiler clock or a time-switch.
      June 30, 2019 8:17 PM MDT