Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If folks weren't so afraid they wouldn't need to own so many guns. Afraid of WHAT? WHY?

If folks weren't so afraid they wouldn't need to own so many guns. Afraid of WHAT? WHY?

Posted - July 1, 2019

Responses

I grew up in a household with guns. How many we had is irrelevant. We didn't own guns out of fear but because we were an outdoors family that fished and hunted. I have personally owned several firearms. Again not because I lived or live in fear but because I enjoy shooting. Something some people can't comprehend because of the fact they live in unwarranted fear of guns. Or perhaps because they hate the idea that there are many citizens that like something they, for reasons known only to them, hate. If a person wants to hate guns, fine, but don't take that hatred and fear and try to infringe on my right to own something. :)
      July 1, 2019 6:25 AM MDT

Guns kill living things. Having rifles for hunting game that you eat is one thing. Having guns to protect yourself from "the other" is another thing entirely.  I have a son who hunts. That is the only thing he uses his rifle for...hunting game. He does not carry a gun to protect himself. He doesn't own a zillion of them. Of course however you grow up you think is superior to however non-yous grow up. I understand that ru. I am not afraid of "the other". No reason for me to own a gun or have a gun or buy a gun or want a gun. I do not go out to hunt the food I eat. No reason to have a rifle.  I am an un-gun person because that is how I was raised. So you are you and think people like me are afraid? You are the one with the guns not me. Thank you for your reply.
      July 2, 2019 2:52 AM MDT

The 2nd Amendment gives me the right to keep and bear arms. I exercise that right, not out of fear but because I choose to. Just as you have the right to choose not to exercise that right. Are you wrong for not exercising that right? Am I wrong for exercising that right? Hating guns is not a crime and frankly, I don't care if some people hate guns. However, when that hatred of guns results in someone trying to take away my right that the Second Amendment gives me, it becomes a whole different matter.

Let me ask you this, is there a human right to defend family and oneself against a violent attacker or a government that oversteps the authority given to it by the law of the land? The authors of the Constitution thought so when they added the words "Shall not be infringed" in the 2nd Amendment. If I'm in my home with my family, sleeping or not, and one, two, or possibly three intruders enters my home, what do I use to defend my family? A butter knife? If someone breaks into my home, they aren't doing so to have a cup of coffee with me. If I have a gun I will defend my family with that gun before they get hurt, raped, or murdered. Always remember, the police cannot be everywhere at all times and they almost always get to the scene of the crime after the fact. I know because I am a former police officer. Take away my guns and my options for protecting my family is severely limited.

July 3, 2019 5:53 AM MDT

We can see one thing they are afraid of.
    Government.

This is demonstrated every time there is serious discussion ... or rumors ... of the government taking guns, or registering gun sales.  There are always thousands of increased gun sales.

Why are people afraid of government?
    Because the government has no fear of being held accountable for its actions.
    Kill someone?  Destroy the life of someone?  It doesn't matter what government did.  The person either "deserved" it, or it was an "honest" mistake.
    Either way, the government employee will rarely be punished.
    In fact, probably the best career for someone wanting to be a serial killer is a government agent.
      July 1, 2019 1:52 PM MDT

I am what they call a Constitutional Conservative and though I don't fear our government I am very concerned about its behavior.  Some of which you mentioned in your comment. As innocuous and inconspicuous as it may look to some, the constant chipping away of our freedoms and encroachments on our personal lives by our elected officials is very real. :)
      July 1, 2019 4:29 PM MDT

Being a despot dictator is the best protection against being held accountable for your actions Walt. Why are the people today in America (the prodons) AFRAID OF GUBMENT? There is no gubment currently. There is only a giddy slobbering old bobbysoxer who swoons over the world's strongmen and sides with perps and eviscerates victims. He is their guy. What's to fear? Thank you for your reply. "The government of the people by the people and for the people" is what the people fear? I don't get it. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at July 2, 2019 2:56 AM MDT
      July 2, 2019 2:55 AM MDT

The government stopped being "by the people" over 100 years ago.
    The Civil War was the largest power grab by the federal government since the Revolution.
    It wasn't just slavery that ended ... states and The People lost much of their Constitutional (10th Amendment) power, and have been losing more ever since.

The only people who aren't afraid of the government, are those who fall into 2 camps:
    1 - They want big government to regulate our lives.  Usually because they think big government will force the rest of us to follow THEIR beliefs.
    2 - They are not aware of how out-of-control and unanswerable our government already is, to The People.
      July 2, 2019 7:26 AM MDT