Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » I saw a news story recently where a doctor said he had delivered over 10,000 babies. How can that be?

I saw a news story recently where a doctor said he had delivered over 10,000 babies. How can that be?

Posted - July 2, 2019

Responses

That would be just under 278 babies per annum, leaving 87 days of rest.
    Easy hours.

Advantages:
    Midwives supervise most of the woman's labour so the obstetrician only needs to be on call.

Disadvantages: 
    The hours are unpredictable.

July 2, 2019 4:09 PM MDT

July 2, 2019 6:21 PM MDT

He probably had a few multiple births in that number.
      July 2, 2019 7:25 PM MDT

Since you are the only one online...he didn't deliver ANY babies. The women did.
      July 25, 2019 7:25 PM MDT

Good point.
    You win the prize for best feminist on answerMug.

Gee, I hate it when my own unconscious sexism gets caught in the act.

On second thoughts - I think it depends on how one defines "delivered."

I think mid-wives and obstetricians deliver when they assist in the birthing process.

But I think the mothers don't deliver; they almost involuntarily give birth.
    It's the baby's release of oxytocin into her bloodstream that triggers her body into labour, compels her whether she feels ready or not.
    After that, there's nothing the woman can do about it except for some control over the timing of her breathing and bearing down.
    Sometimes she's so out of her mind with pain or exhaustion that she can't even think enough to make decisions -
    she needs her trusted partner or friend beside her to intervene on her behalf with the professionals.

This post was edited by inky at July 25, 2019 8:40 PM MDT
      July 25, 2019 8:32 PM MDT

He owned a line of busses.
      July 2, 2019 9:43 PM MDT

He's just use to being busy ,as his last job was a PostMan ,or a MaleMan as you call them in America...and as he was use to put things in a box ,he takes them out of one for a living now instead...   :)D
      July 3, 2019 1:15 AM MDT

That would be easy to achieve during a career.  The average in a suburban setting is 250 to 300 per year according to this guy claiming to know:    https://www.justanswer.com/ob-gyn/286cl-average-deliveries-does-ob-gyn-perform.html
      July 3, 2019 1:38 AM MDT

That's no big deal. You can easily do 5,000 working part-time too.

Cuban-born Milanes, who was a Lake Forest resident, has the distinction of holding the record for delivering the most babies in the United States.

In 2002, the Illinois House of representatives passed a resolution honoring Dr. Milanes for delivering more than 15,000 babies at area hospitals including Advocate Condell and Vista East and West. Over the span of her career, she delivered nearly 17,000 babies, according to her obituary from Strang Funeral Chapel.

Dr. Milanes delivered her first baby after reading a "how to" book at the age of 15 and began her internship and residency in Grayslake in 1954 after completing medical school in Havana, Cuba, according to the House of Representatives resolution.

"She will be greatly missed as she was an inspiration to generations of physicians, nurses, administrators and staff," said Vista Health System President and CEO Barbara Martin in a story in the Lake County News-Sun.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 25, 2019 7:23 PM MDT
      July 3, 2019 1:48 AM MDT