Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Starbucks thoughts?

Starbucks thoughts?

#DumpStarbucks Trends After Arizona Police Officers Reportedly Asked To Leave Starbucks Over Customer Concerns

News 2 Hours AgoNewsweek

The Starbucks logo is displayed in the window of a Starbucks coffee shop, in San Francisco, on January 24. The coffee giant has been accused of putting its customers lives at risk by using a hazardous pesticide near food.

A group of Tempe, Arizona, police officers have said they were asked to leave a Starbucks coffee shop on the Fourth of July after a customer complained to baristas at the location that they did not feel "safe." 

The #DumpStarbucks hashtag began trending on Twitter and other social media outlets Saturday after the Tempe Officers Association accounts tweeted that Starbucks baristas have "zero respect" for law enforcement after kicking them out of the store.

According to the tweets, six Tempe Police Department officers were drinking at a Starbucks near Scottsdale and McKellips roads when a customer who "did not feel safe" complained about their presence. 

The officers claimed that a barista approached them as they stood in the Starbucks Thursday and asked that they either leave the complaining customer's line of sight or exit the coffee shop altogether. 

"This treatment of public safety workers could not be more disheartening. While the barista was polite, making such a request at all was offensive. Unfortunately, such treatment has become all too common in 2019," the police organization wrote on Twitter. "We know this is not a national policy at Starbucks Corporate and we look forward to working collaboratively with them on this important dialogue."

"Don't appreciate @Starbucks asking our #Tempe cops to leave your establishment on the #4thofjuly2019. Several of those cops are #veteranswho fought for this country! #ZeroRespect," the Tempe Officers Assocation tweeted Thursday, receiving tens of thousands of likes. 

A corporate spokesperson for Starbucks, Reggie Borges, told the Arizona Republic Saturday the company is still investigating the incident before taking action.

"We have a deep respect for the Tempe Police and their service to the community," he told the Arizona newspaper. "We've reached out to the Tempe Police Department and Tempe Officers Association to better understand what happened and apologize. We want everyone in our stores to feel welcomed and the incident described is not indicative of what we want any of our customers to feel in our stores."

Almost immediately, other local coffee business offered the police alternative places to get their caffeine boost. 

"Come to @TheCoffeeBean Tempe Marketplace ! I'd like to offer you guys coffees on Me. I am a barista and I am so saddened that this happened to our local police. Come try GOOD coffee & Teas . We will win you over with good customer service and taste!" wrote one business owner. 

While the #DumpStarbucks hashtag appeared to have a fairly sizable number of Twitter users saying they would — or already had — stopped patronizing the coffee chain, users used the tag to mock the protest or point out what they viewed as hypocrisy. 

Many social media observers compared the events in Arizona to an April 2018 incident in which two black men were asked to leave by officers at a Philadelphia Starbucks for what managers later conceded was a mistake. The company issued an apology and hosted racial awareness programs, but the police chief told news outlets the officers didn't ask the men to leave over racist issues.

"Those of y'all who want to #DumpStarbucks because some police officers were asked to leave are the same people who were real quiet when two black men were arrested for waiting at a Starbucks. But I digress," read one top reply Saturday.

Posted - July 6, 2019

Responses

I was actually going to post a question about this, myself. Personally, I'm disgusted with Starbucks. I have a lot of respect for our officers. Tempe Police, in particular, do a lot of outdoor work. It's one of the few cities in which officers walk, bike, and go on horseback. It's been 110 degrees plus lately. Had I been on staff, I would have been thrilled to have officers there. MOST people feel safer to have officers around, but given the extreme heat and how hard those guys are working... to kick them out because someone feels uncomfortable... it's appalling. If that's the case, that person is going to feel uncomfortable EVERYWHERE because police are out in full force due to the holiday. I went out yesterday and I literally saw five officers in the span of two miles. I went out to run errands on the fourth and lost count.

Oddly enough, I used to go to that exact Starbucks a fair amount. Perhaps what's most ironic is that I was present in that very Starbucks when there was an incident literally right in front of the store. And, because there was an officer inside having coffee at the exact same time, he saw the issue unfolding and immediately ran out to resolve it. I wouldn't call that area "unsafe," but it's definitely a little rough. It was bad enough that when my acquaintances and I would leave the establishment we visited, we always left in pairs. Nobody ever walked alone. So, that location had built-in protection. It was safer because of the frequent presence of officers. Not anymore. They just kissed that goodbye. 

And, I see people are trying to draw parallels between this and the incident where people were loitering a few months back. There is no comparison. The previous incident involved a staff member asking people who were not paying customers to give up their table for people who were. It was handled poorly, but the logic made sense. If your paying customers cannot sit because non-customers have the tables, the non-customers shouldn't be surprised at all they were asked to leave. In this case, these officers were paying customers who bought drinks and were there chatting prior to their shift. It is not the same situation at all. They might have a case for comparison if the officers were loitering. They weren't. 

July 6, 2019 6:21 PM MDT

This is why I only go to Dunkin Doughnuts (aka Dunkin's)

Seriously, I have nothing more to say that needs to be said about this.  

July 6, 2019 6:39 PM MDT

I go to My Kitchen for coffee.
      July 6, 2019 8:04 PM MDT

@the ACAB people ruin the party again 
      July 6, 2019 7:36 PM MDT