Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Business » So far the flood damage in Louisiana in August is estimated to cost at least $8.7 billion.This time. Who will pay and will that repair work be finished before the next catastophic flooding?

So far the flood damage in Louisiana in August is estimated to cost at least $8.7 billion.This time. Who will pay and will that repair work be finished before the next catastophic flooding?

Parts of Louisiana are below sea level. Will that ever change? Can the  Army Corps of Engineers figure out a way to raise it? Or is everyone there living in hamster cages furiously running in circles never getting anywhere?

Posted - September 5, 2016

Responses

Several years ago, after Katrina thrashed New Orleans, the Federal govt. decided to 'redraw' my neighborhoods' floodplain map to include me and a few dozen other homes. It is really stupid because flooding isn't a problem here unless Noah's flood comes again. So now we pay a good bit more on our mortgages every year for flood insurance. Hey, somebody has to pay for Katrina. 

September 5, 2016 9:49 AM MDT

In 1906 there was an earthquake in San Francisco. Stores reopened within a few days, and within a year there was no remaining evidence of the quake except where the ground level had changed. Compare that to any modern disaster. The difference was that in 1906 there was almost zero mortgaged property; businesses were mostly proprietorships and the proprietors mostly owned the property their stores sat on.

As for Louisiana, we observe that not too many people live there, for the reasons you mention.

September 5, 2016 1:23 PM MDT

• Use Mexico's wall money. 

September 5, 2016 1:24 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply bh and Happy Tuesday.:)

September 6, 2016 2:57 AM MDT

That is a he** uva  great idea. Think PMURT will go for it? Is the desire to help US citizens survive more important than the desire to keep Mexicans out of the US? Anyway I like it char and I will sign a petition if you circulate one. Thank you for your reply! :)

September 6, 2016 2:58 AM MDT