Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Element 99
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Do you think being financially illiterate is sort of a death sentence?

Do you think being financially illiterate is sort of a death sentence?

Posted - July 9, 2019

Responses

More like a life sentence. 
      July 9, 2019 8:37 PM MDT

Absolutely.  As much as I hate to admit it, money is a HUGE part of living a comfortable life.  The less you know about how to have it work for you instead of working for it, the more you may feel the crunch of the machine.
      July 10, 2019 3:59 AM MDT

• Why..just this morning Merlin..one of my first thoughts was rage against the machine. Besides being a rock band it must have some basis. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 10, 2019 5:30 AM MDT
      July 10, 2019 5:29 AM MDT

It depends.

Mostly I'd agree with Don Barzini and Merlin.

However, one could follow the advice of an honest and reliable accountant and it would earn far more than it would cost.

Alternatively, one need not stay financially illiterate. The brain is plastic, mouldable; it develops the talents it practices.
    Start with the foundation - basic numeracy, and work one's way up from there.

However, finances can be incredibly complicated when one gets into the details of the constant changes in legislation, taxes, allowances etc. So, unless one's finances are simple (just the salary or super) checking with an accountant each year is a good idea anyway.
      July 10, 2019 5:00 AM MDT

Few people are financially illiterate.  That would mean they have NO understanding of finances, even to the point of not knowing denominations of currency/coin.

Unfortunately, it's true that most schools no longer teach "Home Economics" - which included things like how to balance a checkbook, how to set a budget, and even how to compare prices when shopping.  And far too few parents took up the slack, and taught their children those lessons.

July 10, 2019 10:28 AM MDT