Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What does "RADICAL" mean to you? Someone whose views you do not share or is a lot more than that there? Like what?

What does "RADICAL" mean to you? Someone whose views you do not share or is a lot more than that there? Like what?

Posted - July 15, 2019

Responses

IMO ... "radical" refers to anyone who refuses to consider opposing viewpoints. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at July 16, 2019 5:25 AM MDT
      July 15, 2019 1:49 PM MDT

You mean a TRUE BELIEVER? What if the "radical's" view mirror yours? Does that mean you are a radical too or neither of you are radical Walt? Does RADICAL depend entirely upon whether or not he/she shares your views or does not? Just wondering. Thank you for your reply Walt. Are you a radical in any way?
      July 16, 2019 5:27 AM MDT

Two people can share the same view ... and 1 be a radical, while the other is not.

I may consider opposing viewpoints, but keep my viewpoint because I don't find their argument reasonable (or valid for whatever reason).
    Maintaining my viewpoint after considering other viewpoints doesn't make me a radical.
    Though it does make me someone with strong opinions.

If someone changes their opinion every time they are confronted with an opposing view - they are just as bad as a radical, IMO.
    You can't rely on them.
      July 16, 2019 7:28 AM MDT

OK sweetie! WHOOSH! That went right over my head. I don't understand what you mean Walt when you say "two people can share one view and 1 be a radical". About other things though right? Because if their view is the same how can they be different? One radical and one not? Apologies but I really don't get your point. Mea culpa! HELP! :(
      July 16, 2019 8:18 AM MDT

Take the example of "gun control".

Two people can be against it.

1 - "radical" is against it based solely on their interpretation of the Second Amendment.  It doesn't matter what opposing arguments are, if they even bother to listen to them.  The ONLY thing that matters is their Second Amendment Right.

2 - "non radical" is against it based on their opinion after weighing the arguments of both sides.  

IMO, they have the same viewpoint - being against "gun control" - but came to that decision different ways.  
    Person #2 may hold that opinion their entire life, or they may change it based on new arguments or applying different weight to arguments they've already heard.
    Person #1 will NEVER change their opinion.
      July 16, 2019 11:23 AM MDT

Oh. Okey dokey. However I don't see how anyone can be against gun control. I think it is a radical view that there should be no backgrounds checks and that no one should be deprived of the right to arm bears...even if they're crazy. I think THAT is the radical view. Being against it. I think the LOGICAL view is to have some limits in some areas. Who has a RIGHT to own one? I think limiting the size of the magazine is logical. I think limiting the kind of gun/weapon you cn own is LOGICAL. Just my opinion being a non-gun person. Thank you for hanging in and explaining what you mean. Appreciate it! :)
      July 17, 2019 4:00 AM MDT