Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » You are only allowed a total of three books in your home, which ones would you choose and why?

You are only allowed a total of three books in your home, which ones would you choose and why?

Posted - July 16, 2019

Responses

Backyard Ballistics

The Anarchists Cookbook

Edible plants of the Pacific NW
      July 16, 2019 10:23 AM MDT

• Interesting choices. 

I'm gonna have to look up some info on "The Anarchists Cookbook".
    My curiosity is piqued.  
    Thanks for playin' Walt O'Reagun.
      July 16, 2019 10:35 AM MDT

Image result for the sundial shirley jackson

One would be the novel,  "The Sundial" by Shirley Jackson  

Why? It's possibly the only book I've read three separate times -- this book  -- no words at the moment to describe.

BUT -- also, the opening paragraph is "mind-blowingly" chilling in the best of ways for me:

After the funeral they came back to the house, now indisputably Mrs. Halloran's. They stood uneasily, without any certainty, in the large lovely entrance hall, and watched Mrs. Halloran go into the right wing of the house to let Mr. Halloran know that Lionel's last rites had gone off without melodrama. Young Mrs. Halloran, looking after her mother-in-law, said without hope, "Maybe she will drop dead on the doorstep. Fancy dear, would you like to see Granny drop dead on the doorstep?"
        "Yes, mother."

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 29, 2019 9:48 AM MDT
      July 16, 2019 12:30 PM MDT

• My Dearest Welby,

There was, once upon a time, a misconception that I lived under. I always felt relatively certain that I possessed a good set of eyes and ears for various mediums within the realm of entertainment.  Over the years though, throughout the process of getting to know both you and The Goat (a long and arduous process with him, lol) I have come to realize that I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!  You, as well as he, have put me to shame with your uber-extensive knowledge and love of Music, Cinema, Music, Books, Music, Sex.  Lest we get too crude here, I'll just avoid the last topic for now.  I emphasized music though because in my mind you are now synonymous with "great tunes".  I have enjoyed immensely spending time with you here at The Mug sharing laughs and learning, and can still name a whole litany of songs you've introduced me to.  But here we are in the book section...

I am not familiar with the book you mentioned above.  I do know of another by Shirley Jackson, touted on the paperback cover above, though I have not read it, "The Haunting Of Hill House".  I shall have to investigate further.  How well recieved is this offering of hers as compared to the others?  I wonder too if it has ever been adapted to film.  I am sure as is the case with the many songs you have introduced me too, that this tale is sure to satisfy.  I'm so glad you graced this post with your suggestion.  

And in honour of you, I can't think of anything more appropriate to do right now than to post a video of a famous song which is based on a famous book which was made into a famous movie, this  musical composition being a favorite of mine...

Kate Bush  -  "Wuthering Heights"  (I wonder what Emily Bronte would think)

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 26, 2019 8:24 PM MST
      July 18, 2019 8:17 AM MDT

Aw, shucks. Thanks, Twinkle Dink!
    :)

And I think this may be the first song I've heard by Kate Bush. I only know her by name-recognition. I couldn't catch many of the lyrics but I still liked the song and her singing. Thanks for sharing this!!

I take it the song is tongue-in-cheek? Her, at times, over-the-top (to me) facial expressions and choreography moves seems to indicate a quiet joke going on maybe? I don't know.
    She is a smooth and elegant dancer!

You know what? I don't even know if I've read Bronte's book. I know I've not seen the movie.

As far as Shirley Jackson, I believe I may have read everything of hers that has been published and I can say, without a doubt, she has NEVER ( Never Say Never? In this case, I CAN!) NEVER disappointed me. In fact, she floors me in countless ways, always. That's why, if I had to choose a favorite, she'd be my favorite author. With Flannery O'Connor up there. And Franz Kafka (and what a cutie he was, too, ha!) and . . .

Anyway - - "The Sundial" draws me to it, even as it sits in a pile of books under the window at the bottom of my stairs and I pass by it numerous times daily. That Pensacola News Journal review summation in the image up there -- sums it up well. (Though, I tend to read the book slowly - - not all in one night, ha.)
    "The Sundial" is so subtle.
    Quiet.
    Disturbing (but not horrifically).
    Poetic.
    Chilling.
    Moving.
    Whispering.
    Rather an entire cast of unlikable characters.
    Hovering.
    Shuffling.
    Sneaking.
    I can't describe it well enough.
    It's not a terribly long novel, either. I highly recommend it.

I don't believe it's been made into a movie.

You know? I don't know how well "The Sundial" is received. In fact, I'm so floored by her, I can truly say that I guess I only know for sure i'm a huge fan of her work, regardless of critical and popular attention. her short story "The Lottery" -- made me cry out loud when I first had to read it for class as a teenager - - has received a HUGE amount of attention. No other of her works seem to get that kind of attention, it seems to me.

There was an excellent movie made of her "The Haunting of Hill House" - - from the 1960's "The Haunting." I first saw it as a young kid - - literally sneaking down to the living room in the middle of the night, my entire family asleep, my knowing it was going to be shown, having seen the teaser ads on TV the previous week. TERRIFIED me!! Ha! [Another version of the novel was made (in the 1990's I think) but a very disappointing-to-me 'take' on the novel; it was called "The Haunting," also. But the movie has a GREAT move score by Jerry Goldsmith, ha!]

"The Haunting of Hill house" is a great read, too, of course.

I plan on coming back and reading more-in-depth all of the other muggers' answers and your comments and replies to other muggers here.

As always, thanks for your kindness to me!

(So, we talk about sex now? Ha!)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 29, 2019 9:48 AM MDT
      July 18, 2019 6:08 PM MDT

• OMG! 
    I am such a Cotton-Headed Ninnymuggin! 

I totally forgot, until later in the day long after I had replied to you, about a new take on Shirley Jackson's work "The Haunting Of Hill House".  It is actually part of an ongoing series which delves into different stories each new season.  The whole first season was dedicated to Her novel.  The second one being crafted around the book "The Haunting Of Bly Manor" by Henry James based on his novella, "The Turn Of The Screw". 

It is currently available to watch on Netflix and has been well received.  However, with your love of the novel and of the original movie adaptation you may not take a shine to this one.  Just thought I'd let you know anyway in case you are interested.  Here is a Wikipedia link to information about the series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunting_of_Hill_House_(TV_series)

Let me know if you have any interest in seeing it, and if so, I will message you the passwords to Goatsey's Netflix account so you can binge watch it for free.  LOL!  What he don't know won't hurt him.
      July 18, 2019 6:34 PM MDT

Now I'M the dimwit - - yeah, I seem to remember about this Jackson-inspired take/series on Hill House.
    Maybe I'd like it, I don't know. I've never seen any part of it. But you may be right - - I so adore Jackson in her pure state that I just take her and bask.

About the passwords, ha! I'd feel too guilty.

James' 'The Turn of the Screw" - - love it!!!! That was made into a movie that ALSO TERRIFIED me as a child!! "The Innocents" -- Deborah Kerr is in it. GREAT movie. Both "The Innocents" and the original "The Haunting" still scare me, probably in part due to my memories of seeing them as a little tyke.
      July 20, 2019 7:10 AM MDT

"Play Of Consciousness"
    .....BY Swami Muktananda
    His Spiritual Autobiography
    why?
    The deepest book one will ever read
    on the depths of Meditation.
    Have read it five times
    With each reading, another door opens.

"The Second Coming of Christ"
    By Paramahansa Yogananda
    why?
    It is about the resurrection 
    of the Christ within you.
    From the original teachings of Jesus
    A Must read for the 
    Spiritually inclined.

"From the Finite to the Infinite"
    Books 1 and 2
    By Swami Muktananda
    Why?
    Deep insights into Meditation
    and Absolute Consciousness.

July 16, 2019 1:07 PM MDT

• Baba,

I'm sure you have recognized many times throughout these posts and threads that aside from my tendency to be overly even obnoxiously silly at times, that I also have a voracious heart and mind for things of a spiritual nature.  Yes, topics of outward spiritual things such as God, Christ, even angels, as well as supernatural laws that govern the universe not just the ones of a scientific nature, forces of good and evil, Heaven and afterlife, etc. all of these things fascinate me, but there is an inward spirituality too.  It is the result of tearing down defenses that this world teaches us to erect from the time we enter it, and instead welcoming those outer powers into us.  Hopefully the good ones, not the bad.  And may we all, I pray, be able to discern the difference.  When we open ourselves up, we become them as they become us and as a result we are closer to God.  The inner more so than the outer, I believe may be most important of all.  We are a temple.  Do we allow love to reside there?  Do we allow hope to reside there?  Do we let the light in?  Well that is the lesson we continually learn in our growing toward what we are meant to be.  For me it is a journey filled with joy, each step a movement closer in the coming home. 

I am so glad you took the time to peek in on this post and reveal some of your favorite works.  Anything suggested by you I consider to be highly recommended.  I am very anxious to read "The Second Coming Of Christ"  I think I'll start there and then work my way through your other choices.  Thank you for all the pleasant postings you grace the Mug with.  Thanks for always speaking and sharing in a voice of Peace and Love. 
      July 18, 2019 7:19 AM MDT

I that case I'd use the local library so I could have three fresh books every week, or reborrow the favourites.

Currently, I'm reading a novel, Zadie Smith's White Teeth,
    a non-fiction Bruce Pascoe's Dark Emu, a history and archeology of Australian Aboriginal agriculture before the white invasion,
    and a range of poems - elegies and requiems.

If I had to pick what three books I could keep
    it would probably include 
    Jack Kornfield and Joseph Goldstein's Seeking the Heart of Wisdom
    Marshall Rosenberg's Non-Violent Communication.
    The third would have to be a toss-up between
    M. Scott-Peck's The Road Less Travelled,
    Edouard de Bono's Six Thinking Hats, or
    Peter Singer's Practical Ethics
    because all of them are worth rereading and practising thousands of times to assist in personal growth.

Please tell us your pick. :) Pretty please? :)

July 16, 2019 2:20 PM MDT

• Oh dear!

You've turned this back around on me. You're sneaky. LOL!

How unfair of me though, to have asked a question of every Mugger, which I am hard pressed to be able to answer myself. Ahh, Books! Glorious books! I love them. I sometimes fear they are becoming a thing of the past, at least in the traditional sense. I am not customarily one who is afraid of change, but to me that feels less like an evolution but rather more like a loss. Don't get me wrong, The digital medium is an awesome frontier holding so much promise. The sheer magnitude of information at our fingertips simply overwhelms me at times, and it delights me too. However, call me "old-school" in my way of thinking, for I have always been an old soul, but it saddens me to imagine books, with their comfortably worn bindings, their fibrous organic pages, their bold neutral shades of ink set alongside rich colorful illustrations, and their unmistakable smell of aged wisdom that fills the atmosphere of many used bookstores, all of these things fading away into the darkness as the bright light of LED screens continues to break over the horizon of the information super highway. From the clutches of my rigor mortis inflicted members will they ever pry away certain works.

But, which ones do I hold most dear? Which ones must I keep near me? Which ones have become such a part of my life that It would not be too pretentious, too ridiculous, or too far off the mark, to call them friend? The ones who have been there with me, throughout the years, making me laugh, making me cry, staying with me through long grey days of depression and keeping me company on cold lonely nights, lying in the sun with me, on the beach against the sound of crashing waves on the breeze and the sound of their narrative in my head, constant companions ever teaching me what i may have never even known I needed to know, sparking the fire of imagination whose warm glow gives lift to my dreams as they take flight.

Right now I am stressed though. I have backed myself into an uncomfortable corner. Only three huh? Can I somehow argue my way back out of this? I can't help but think of the story in Genesis 18 of The Old Testament in which Abraham tried to negotiate with God in an effort to save the citizens of Sodom. I have to make a facetious mention here, what gay man doesn't just love the story of Sodom and Gomorrah?  (sarcasm) LOL!  So, do indulge me for a moment if you will.  When approached by The Lord and asked to find at least 50 righteous people in all the city so that it will be spared from destruction, Abraham knew the people he lived amongst and their wicked ways very well and realized that 50 may be a tall order. So, he began to boldly negotiate with God. He implored Lord what if I can only find 40? And the Lord willingly agreed that number would be enough. Then feeling somewhat emboldened he asked what if I can only find 30. And God assured him that would be fine. Then he pleaded for the acceptance of merely 20 who are good. Until finally reaching a mere 10. LOL! This is how desperate I feel at the moment to negotiate my way out of this. It is with a generous helping of irony that I resign myself to the fact that I am the one who set these perimeters.  Everyone on this post should beseech and make arguments for an increased allotment, in reverse fashion of what Abraham did, starting at three and working their way up. Though I'm not exactly sure personally where I would want to set the ceiling. 50?  100?  Can one ever have enough or too many books? I think not.

As I sit here typing this to you I am glancing over my laptop casting occasional glances at the bookshelf on the other side of my bedroom. It is filled to overflowing with what I consider delicious literary delights. At one time it belonged to my younger brother who also housed it in his room and decorated it with stuffed animals, Legos and Transformers, board games and video games, Cd's, DVD's, picture frames filled with snapshots of his life, and a high tech record player. Each item a little treasure, belongings he held dear, But these are only things, and now his life is no more. He died of Cancer some three years ago and I have been bequeathed this piece of furniture along with some of his belongings. This simple unassuming wooden structure that once held precious pieces of his life proudly put on display is still here, adjusting to its new life with me, though he is gone. This bookshelf as it is called, holds more than just books. It once held dreams but now it holds mostly memories. And I as its new keeper, line its sturdy wooden planks with the same type of things that it has long since been comfortable with and accustomed to. Things such as my heart's dreams, wishes, hopes, and prayers. It may look like a catch all for knick and knack or brick and brack but these shelves gather together and keep safe so many parts of me.
    Not the least of which are my books that sit upon these criss-crossed boards and they are many.

Dare I name a few? looking at them now I see the book of David's "Psalms", hardback bound in my favorite colours of purple and gold, with text resembling handwritten script in beautiful Latin and read quite often. I see a rich green and gold special edition of Christmas works by Charles Dickens. Oh yes, it has within its pages, "A Christmas Carol", but it has many other lessor known holiday offerings by him as well. Let it be known, that I am a big fan of Dickens. Gazing further down the length of this old pine family member, I spy with my eyes a gift. A book purchased for me by my precious love, an old goat who is so much smarter than me. It is a lovely copy of "The Picture Of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wilde. It is encased in a "collectors box" cover. I treasure it. I treasure he who gifted it to me even more. Does a Hymnal count as well? For there are two set upon these high perches. They may be filled with music, but it is a book nonetheless filled with stories all of which are told passionately in song. Each page a fantastic read. Not so much for the eyes and mind, but rather for the ears and heart, which is equally as important if you ask me. A harmony, a melody, a lyric, these books are a showcase of classic timeless wonder. My faith and love for God is never greater than when I study, or listen to, or sing these works of praise. Where would I be without "Amazing Grace"? With the heart of a child I look and see a section of children's books doing a tremendous job of holding their own against a crowded collection of great literature. I have such a special place in my heart for them much in the same way I do the children for whom they are written. So simple and beautiful an art form are children and so are these works created for them. Amongst these youthful offerings is "Harold and The purple crayon" by Crockett Johnson. Why Harold? LOL! because purple of course. I do love purple, and if I could create with one simple crayon the kind of world he draws with his imagination there would be no end to where the boy in me would go. I see biographies and auto biographies scattered about on everyone from Lucille Ball to Cher. They get a mention because I am a big ole fag and I love both of them. Lucy keeps me connected to my love of vintage things while Cher being nearly vintage herself at this point continues to somehow remain a relevant gay icon, talented and beautiful. If only we could all be so lucky as we age, but methinks she is not the norm. I have poetry in various forms available with just the reach of my hand. Leaning against "The Owl And The Pussycat" in all its whimsy, is one of my favorites. It is a classic piece of old world writing known as "The Dream Of The Rood". I still remember the first time I read the tale it spun. My spirit was moved and I wept.

I am emotional like that at times. I wear my heart on my sleeve and always have because I have nothing to hide. I am just me and that ain't such a bad thing to be. If I am happy everyone will know it. If I am sad it clearly shows, and if I am angry I can assure you there will be no doubt of it being so. And all these books, what role do they play? They are often a catalyst causing this abundance of deep and layered emotions to manifest. They make me feel. They enrich my life, as is overtly evident within the pages of an old tattered worn out notebook stacked upon the many others that I have like it, each one scribbled with the silliness of a teenage girl trapped in a grown man's body, the words, "I love Jon".  Perhaps these are my most precious "books" of all.  Inside each one of these unpublished private novelettes are the stories and poems and drawings of my journey in this world. My life. Maybe one day I will feel worthy enough or someone will show interest enough for me to share them, but for now it is enough to have these still unread words simply exist and be recorded on paper. And there is so very, very, much more.

But I've rattled on long enough. Three? A holy trinity of books huh? Might I take a moment to say, before committing myself to only three works, that I would consider my shelves extremely blessed to have upon them a work written by you. I've read your responses to posts, I've perused and studied your blogs, I've admired and devoured both the savory and sweet taste of your poems, and I have been inspired profoundly. You are a great writer, bookworm. But I digress. So, without further adieu I present my three picks, like picking favorites of ones own children, I feel sadness for the ones I am slighting in the process, but here goes.

1) "The Holy Bible" (including The Apocrypha)
    2) "A Christmas Carol" (by Charles Dickens)
    3) "The Prophet" (Khalil Gibran)

And that's that!

"Valley Of The Dolls" by Jacqueline Susann didn't even make the top 100.  LOL! 
    Though "120 days of Sodom" by Marquis de Sade probably would.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 19, 2019 6:38 PM MDT
      July 17, 2019 5:26 PM MDT