Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Why did so many ancient people from ancient civilizations bury so many of their buildings? What were they trying to hide?

Why did so many ancient people from ancient civilizations bury so many of their buildings? What were they trying to hide?

Posted - July 16, 2019

Responses

They watched "Back to the Future" in a parallel universe and it scared them. 
      July 16, 2019 10:23 AM MDT

Hah!

I was just talking about that movie with Twinkle Dink last evening.  
    Conspiracy has been documented! 
    I love it.  Thanks ! LOL

July 16, 2019 11:16 AM MDT

• Some did, some didn't .

A lot of what modern archaeologists uncover was once above ground, but temples and palaces were looted, burned, and built over by invading conquerors.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 16, 2019 12:54 PM MDT
      July 16, 2019 12:12 PM MDT

And some were buried by volcanic eruptions.

It was brought to my attention that when cities of Pompeii, Herculaneum, Oplontis and Stabiae were being re-discovered and uncovered many years later after they were buried from Mt Vesuviuous's devestating eruption, many images of eroticism, graffiti and phallics galore were destroyed in an effort to "sanitize" the discoveries for general viewing.

Isn't that beautiful???
      July 16, 2019 1:06 PM MDT

• HA! True thing

BUT - But in fact only a few were actually destroyed or defaced. A lot of the archaeologists working on ruins in the 1800's were Victorian Brits. And being the suppressed, conflicted, sexual gluttons  they were - They hid away what they found to enjoy it in private. 

So now the National Museum in Naples has a so-called Secret Collection. It holds hundreds of mosaics, paintings & sculptures. Worth seeing - 

Now watch what happens ...  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 18, 2019 8:50 PM MDT
      July 16, 2019 1:34 PM MDT

Circa 5,000 BCE, ancient Middle Eastern cultures discovered how to build catacombs. If you get at least a meter underground (in that part of the world), the temperature drops to a steady 12ºC all year 'round - great for storage of oils, grains, dried meats and fruits, wines, pickles, and cheeses.

A "tell" is a mound or hill formed from building over the foundations of previous dwellings - very common throughout Mesopotamia.
    e.g., Sippar (Tell Abu Habbah); Sippar-Amnanum (Tell ed-Der); Kutha (Tell Ibrahim)
    The Middle East has always been prone to earthquakes. Without bulldozers in ancient times, it was easier to use the fallen stones to rebuild over the top of the rubble. Over the centuries the towns grew into large hills, which had the advantage of offering views into the distance - being able to see who was coming along the roads, merchants or an army - and being better able to fortify walls for defence.

(Part of my research for a novel on the life of the Mitannian horseman, Kikkuli.)

This post was edited by inky at July 16, 2019 1:06 PM MDT
      July 16, 2019 12:44 PM MDT

You're so darn cool. LOL
    Quck story.  When I was young, there were three things I wanted to be; A Chef, an Archaeologist, or a Plumber.  Unfortunately, I lived in a very "Leave it to Beaver" household and Dad was very controling. I was told that:
    • Archaelogists make crap for money so I won't be an Archaeologist.
    • All Chefs are Drunks and Fags (surprise!)
    • And no son of his will make a living sticking his hands in another man's sh*t!
    I think you get the idea and I'll save the remainder of that story for some other time, but I have a deep fascination for archaelogy and ancient history. 

Did you actually publish a book?!?!?!
    I would love to read it. 

July 16, 2019 1:14 PM MDT

• They filled it in with their trash and excrement till it was buried and uninhabitable.  That's how they all died away.  That's what happens to every human civilization eventually.
      July 16, 2019 3:49 PM MDT

They didn't bury anything, apart of course from their dead.

Volcanic eruptions or wars apart, long-abandoned buildings became used as a source of stone for buildings elsewhere, or were eroded by the weather, and layers of sand or soil developed over what was left.
      July 18, 2019 5:25 PM MDT