Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » An Answermug friend thinks the U.S. capitol should be in the middle of the country not on a coast. Do you? Where is your state capitol?

An Answermug friend thinks the U.S. capitol should be in the middle of the country not on a coast. Do you? Where is your state capitol?

The reason he thinks so is that it would give folks more equal access to it. Our state capitol is in northern California...Sacramento. I wouldn't mind a more central location honestly speaking.

So how about you? Do you agree with him? Centralize?

Posted - July 17, 2019

Responses

Certainly it would help the politicians get out of their coastal bubbles. 
    Kansas City maybe. 
      July 17, 2019 7:35 AM MDT

Where is your state capitol m2c? In the middle of your state so that all have equal access to it? Ours is in Sacramento, northern California. I wouldn't mind if it were in the middle of the state. It never occurred to me but the more I think about it the more I like that idea. Thank you for your reply. As for Kansas City isn't that where there are lots of stockyards and where cattle are slaughtered? Kansas City beef? I know Chicago has stockyards. The stench would tbe pretty big I think. I'd like a capitol to be in a beautiful aromatic area. 
      July 17, 2019 7:52 AM MDT

Yes, Missouri's capital is pretty much center of the state. If you put anything in the middle of the country you will be near farms. However, you cannot smell the stock yard unless you are at the stock yard. This post was edited by my2cents at July 17, 2019 8:28 AM MDT
      July 17, 2019 7:55 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply.
      July 17, 2019 8:02 AM MDT

Washington DC probably was pretty close to the center of the country when it was picked for the national capital.  My own state capital is also pretty close to the center of the state.  Changing the capital city from Washington to Kansas City would just be a waste of money and time, not that that's ever stopped them from wasting either one before. 
      July 17, 2019 8:05 AM MDT

But imagine all the jobs it would create.
    Dismantling, moving, and reassembling the monuments and other necessary buildings.

I mean, if the sea levels are going to rise 11 feet (as predicted if Thwaites Glacier melts) - Washington DC will be underwater.
    And parts of it are already slipping, thanks to it being originally built on swampland.
      July 17, 2019 10:33 AM MDT

Is that what they mean when they say clear the swamp?
      July 17, 2019 10:42 AM MDT

Albany, the capital of New York State, is about 110 miles north of New York City and a little less than midway up the eastern portion of the state.
      July 17, 2019 10:50 AM MDT

the capital here in NH is Concord, it was Portsmouth in the past but since its so close to the coast they thought it was more susceptible to an attack and moved it inland 
      July 17, 2019 10:51 AM MDT

At least if they moved the capital near the stockyards there would be a good reason for the stench emanating from government.
      July 17, 2019 10:44 AM MDT