Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Anyone remember the TV series "Joan of Arcadia"? Every week God was featured as a different person. WHAT IF?

Anyone remember the TV series "Joan of Arcadia"? Every week God was featured as a different person. WHAT IF?

God showed up as an asylum seeker? A parent, a child, a baby fleeing from CERTAIN DEATH in his/her country? Just to test the homo saps? What do you think the fallout of that would be? If you don't believe in God there is no problem obviously. If you do what d/ya suppose would happen next?

Posted - July 22, 2019

Responses

Even when I believed in the Christian God ... I thought He washed His hands of humanity long ago.
      July 22, 2019 8:13 AM MDT

I hope HE hasn't Walt but between thee and me I have no idea why he would hang around this long. Hoping we'd get better? Hoping we'd really believe in HIM and pay attention and actually really truly "LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF"? Obviously we are incapable of it. A lost cause. Something only a mother could love or THE FATHER. It could be true...your view. Long ago HE washed HIS hands of us and left us to flounder until we die. We certainly don't deserve rescue since we are clearly unworthy. So the religionists keep hoping and the realists see the writing on the wall. We are so far apart on everything. We have learned nothing during our time here. We are hopeless. Well that sure made me feel depressed as he**! Not your fault. Thank you for your reply Walt. Where do we go from here? Does it matter? This post was edited by RosieG at July 22, 2019 10:40 AM MDT
      July 22, 2019 10:39 AM MDT

I had believed that, due to the difference between the Old and New Testaments.
    The god did not appear the same.
    Old Testament God kept sending prophets to the Hebrews.  Which I wondered why He didn't keep doing so.

Allegedly, Jesus was the last prophet He sent.  And would send no more, but rather offer salvation to the Gentiles.
    Even that doesn't sound like the god of the Old Testament.

But Mohammed wasn't struck down for claiming to be a prophet of the OT god.  So I figured He just gave up and probably started over on another planet.
      July 22, 2019 11:36 AM MDT

A reasonable explanation for that is that Christ brought not a new "religion" but rather what was a new relationship that would exist forever after His death and resurrection.

In essence, Christ brought a new reality that would fundamentally change the relationship between God and His creation---and would work both backward and forward in time.
      July 22, 2019 4:43 PM MDT

But (IMO) that would violate the premise that "God is unchanging" ... which is taught in many Christian sects.
      July 23, 2019 7:26 AM MDT

Change involves movement from potency to act---only "limited" beings change.  God is "esse" (to be) and does not change.  The change is in us as we change our relationship to Him based on our understanding of Him as He constantly reveals more of what He is---including what to the human mind is interpreted as change.
      July 23, 2019 3:59 PM MDT