Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What do you think about allowing Cigarette ads again to control the population?

What do you think about allowing Cigarette ads again to control the population?

Posted - September 6, 2016

Responses

• Bez

I don't like anything being used to control the population.

September 6, 2016 12:06 PM MDT

• Neither do I...I was being unapologetically facetious

September 6, 2016 12:07 PM MDT

Why not? the world is already over populated and the dummies still bring people into the world and don't support them.

September 6, 2016 12:24 PM MDT

the smokers are already pawns to the tobacco industry

I imagine they suck it all up.

September 6, 2016 1:23 PM MDT

I don't think they should have ever been banned in the first place.  Other than insuring that ads are honest (i.e., make no claims regarding the healthfulness of a given product), it's not the government's job to engage in ANY act of social engineering.

I have a mother and father.  The government is neither one of them.

September 6, 2016 2:07 PM MDT

This is one of those discussions which those of leftward bent would do well to file away for the edification of conspiracy theorists who think 'They' are trying to cull the herd.  If 'They' were, 'They' wouldn't be spending so much time trying to save the stupid from themselves.

Seriously? Some band of elites is trying to reduce world population...by pumping out ceaseless warnings not to put electrical appliances in bathtubs, not to put plastic bags over children's heads, that products contain allergens....and on and on and on?

September 6, 2016 2:11 PM MDT

As ever, those who are smart control their reproduction. Those who aren't breed.

September 6, 2016 2:12 PM MDT

• Who knows.  Some people even think that the US is erecting 'FEMA' camps in their quest to begin controlling population growth among other things.  left or right...It makes no difference

I would not say that ceaseless warning labels about products that contain allergens is frivolous.

September 6, 2016 2:49 PM MDT

Show us your Lark.No worse than lawyer ads.

September 6, 2016 3:44 PM MDT

• Bring back the Winston Cup. 

September 6, 2016 3:54 PM MDT

Compare that to campaign ads used to control the population.

September 6, 2016 4:39 PM MDT

Cigarette commercials have now been replaced with vaping commercials.  And years from now they will be banned after it's discovered they, too, cause all sorts of health related problems.  Then there will be something else that'll replace the vaping commercials.  

I may be mistaken but I don't think it was commercials that caused people to start smoking.  I think it was peer pressure and kids wanting to fit in and be cool.

September 6, 2016 5:41 PM MDT

Frivolous it may or may not be, but it serves as evidence that population control conspiracies won't fly. :-)

September 6, 2016 5:48 PM MDT

More like a suggestive influence that an order to buy the products. I smoke roll-ups and Newport Shorts when my tobacco is low. I do it because its the cheaper option. What I like the most is Marlboro Reds. That's the smoke I crave. 

"I want to drink that shot of whisky, I want to smoke that cigarette, I want to smell that sweet addiction on my breath"

"I want to ride 'cross West Virginia, in the backseat of a cadillac, you know some cowboys like me go out like that"

-Tim McGraw's reference to the passing of Hank (Sr) Williams. 

September 6, 2016 5:51 PM MDT

Nah. I smoked for over 40 years and I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
      September 6, 2016 6:49 PM MDT

I think there are insidious methods used to control the population and cigarette ads just aren't one of them. Not even when they were popular.

I am curious as to why ads for alcohol and various other dangerous consumables aren't treated with the same ire. I can't turn the tv on without seeing at least 4 ads from the "there's a pill for everything" industry in less than an hour long time-frame. 

September 7, 2016 8:31 AM MDT

So, you're anti-abortion and anti-birth control?

Probably anti-vaccination too . . .

September 7, 2016 10:36 AM MDT

Not a good idea.

September 7, 2016 12:03 PM MDT

• Smoke 'em! Smoke 'em! Then you'll see. L.S... L.S.M.F.T

September 9, 2016 10:01 AM MDT

• That's why I'm a libertarian anarchist.

September 9, 2016 10:02 AM MDT

• It used to be easy to find great stocking stuffers;  A carton of marlboros and a personalized Zippo lighter.

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a tumor

Cancer like a boss!  :)

September 9, 2016 11:16 AM MDT

• I've found breathing a lot more pleasant since fewer people smoked. Over here in OZ, smokers are now in the minority. I'd rather not return to the days when they polluted everyone else's air. Plus the health bill on smoking related diseases is now steadily falling.

We've also put restrictions on the advertising of alcohol. And are debating restrictions on the advertising of unhealthy foods.

I'm not sure how you think cigarette ads can control a nation - unless by that you mean control of mass addiction to nicotine. Or, given the cost of cigarettes and the diseases they cause, perhaps you mean the knock-on effect on the economy - lower standard of living (impact on personal incomes), lost productivity in illnesses - high medical bills, etc.

September 9, 2016 11:21 AM MDT

• ummmmm.  Give a dog a bone, dude.

You can't say EVERYTHING is evidence of population control any more than you can say flat-out that there is no evidence of population control because of a warning label on a cigarette pack or peanut presence.

Look what the government does with UFOs and Aliens. They've turned it into a circus and everyone knows that Crop circles are caused by land-locked puffer fish

September 9, 2016 11:30 AM MDT

• Kids can still find plenty of other uses for a nice new Zippo. Pack it in with some black powder and cannon fuse. Kids love it.

September 9, 2016 12:22 PM MDT