Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why are there so many negative names for women who have many casual sexual encounters or get paid for them

Why are there so many negative names for women who have many casual sexual encounters or get paid for them

and there no negative names for men that do the same thing? (Or none that I can think of.)

Posted - July 22, 2019

Responses

because women are viewed as sexual objects and men are viewed as sexual beings SO women exist only for the pleasure of men and seeking out pleasure for just themselves makes them selfish whores

OH also men are insecure babies
      July 22, 2019 7:44 AM MDT

WoW!!
    Now there is an analogy that walks the walk, talks the talk, takes the cake, takes the cake home, AND has the enjoyment of eating it too.
    :) :)
    Nothing further.  Any more questions?
    SPOT ON!
    I can't think of any other way to say:

Great Answer!
    :) :)

That's a wrap.  CUT! This post was edited by Merlin at July 23, 2019 1:32 AM MDT
      July 22, 2019 8:20 AM MDT

thanks for coming to my TED talk :) ;)
      July 22, 2019 10:09 PM MDT

Tom cat, player, gigalo are the only male equivalents I can think of. But, they are rarely seen as pejorative as the many names for women who do the same things. I believe it is because historically, men have held the power and taking what they want is perceived as their right.  
      July 22, 2019 8:29 AM MDT

• Pregnancy is your answer.  It stemmed from the fact that in most of history there was no way of knowing who fathered the baby of a woman other than by her word.
      July 22, 2019 8:32 AM MDT

Thus the reason why Jewish heritage is only passed through the mothers.
      July 22, 2019 8:48 AM MDT

• Probably
      July 22, 2019 9:21 AM MDT

• I'm not sure what you're talking about, E99.  I know for a fact that men are sometimes called sluts, b!tches, and wh*res etc.  Perhaps it's something more commonly heard within the homosexual community, but being around women in a friendship capacity I have many times heard them refer to certain guys using those particular terms, just as gay men occasionally refer to other gay men as such. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 22, 2019 1:10 PM MDT
      July 22, 2019 9:39 AM MDT

Twinkle Dink, I absolutely agree. I would like to expound on your observations. Others borrowed those degrading terms that were used on women.
    Please don't get me wrong.  I happen to be quite fond of most people and dodge using them to describe any person.  Yes, they can be used for both genders in a distasteful fashion. This post was edited by Merlin at August 10, 2019 12:24 PM MDT
      July 22, 2019 10:08 AM MDT

Because the sexual double standard is still alive and thriving.
    The rise of the right and religious conservatism has probably increased the prevalence.
    It seems as though the Me-Too movement and all the various waves of feminism have made little difference.

Sleezebag, player, womaniser, lech -- I hear women use these words in private when warning each other about specific men who behave in sexually predatory ways. But I rarely hear these terms in public or in cultural genres.

The recent adoption of the words "ho" and "bitch" into the rap culture of young people disturbs me. I suspect it does not bode well for future generations of women.

July 22, 2019 12:25 PM MDT

It's kind of unfortunate for people whose family name is "Ho", too.
      July 22, 2019 12:27 PM MDT

Oh, my goodness! I'd never thought of that.
    I do hope most people recognise the difference in context.
      July 22, 2019 1:03 PM MDT

Residue of the traditional Patriarchal standards inculcated into our society.

Wasn’t that long ago when women couldn’t vote, or hold certain jobs or positions of authority over men. 
    It‘s much worse than that the further one goes back in the historical record, or into certain countries even today, particularly theocracies. 
      July 22, 2019 8:20 PM MDT

The old double standard. Men who take any sex they can get are just being men. Women who enjoy casual sex are frowned upon. Though, I do think it seems that times are changing a bit. 

There are a few names, though. Man-whore is my favorite. I believe that young people use the term 'fukboy'. 

July 22, 2019 9:57 PM MDT