Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » What is your personal prediction for the future of humanity?

What is your personal prediction for the future of humanity?

Posted - August 5, 2019

Responses

That ended a long time ago.  When we allow people like Trump to reign?  We are ZOMBIES with a maniac for a leader to control our every breath.

There is no future and there certainly is no humanity.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 5, 2019 12:19 PM MDT
      August 5, 2019 11:07 AM MDT

August 5, 2019 12:02 PM MDT

It's also been supposed to end at numerous points in history, but we somehow just keep muddling along.
      August 5, 2019 7:02 PM MDT

And it will be our responsibility to keep it alive!!
      August 6, 2019 11:34 AM MDT

Could be today, tomorrow or any time sooner or later...depending on whether or not we have already wiped ourselves out.

Yellowstone Super-volcano

August 5, 2019 12:25 PM MDT

We will continue to squander the wealth of this world, and create a landscape of ruin, suffering and compounding crises.
    I agree with Stephen Hawking, he gave it 600 years until we are an endangered species. Likely by our own hand. 
      August 5, 2019 12:52 PM MDT

Personally, I'm thinking he is off by 500 years. Odd how those with uncanny abilities, like theoretical physics etc, can say anything they want or make such predictions about things outside their realm and others give them credence. There are no mathematical equations that can make such predictions. Obviously, we are reproducing at a pace that the earth cannot sustain us. In that sense, unless there is some major birth control, we are doomed.
      August 5, 2019 1:02 PM MDT

We agree the prognosis is grim. I think small groups of us could hold out in isolated pockets for a time after the majority succumb to some combination of starvation and disease. Perhaps a number of generations. Then, genetic problems from inbreeding would become prevalent in time. 

I wouldn’t anticipate our extinction within the next hundred years, though as you say, the strain our billions are placing upon this earth will inevitably result in mass famine, pestilence and collapse of societies, region by region. 

Absent something like a worldwide pandemic, or Yellowstone eruption, I expect this will be a growing reality during the lifetimes of my grandchildren.  
      August 5, 2019 4:08 PM MDT

• Eh same thing that has happened throughout history.  Man creates a new grand society and civilization.  Prosperity ensues for a flash of time,  the population grows to critical mass, the resources that rules the technology that built said civilization become depleted ,   the society declines,  the civilisation crumbles. 

Its an experiment that has been tried and tried over and over again throughout our history and has always failed in the end.
      August 5, 2019 1:59 PM MDT

I  think humanity will become extinct due to obesity unless we develop four legs to stand/walk on to carry the weight.  Plus arms and hands 'course. 
      August 5, 2019 3:51 PM MDT

• Actually I think we'll be fine - If we get control of our insane politics , and shake off the programmed negativity that corporate news and social media inject us with every hour.

While a majority of people seem to accept we're doomed (it's just easier to make up excuses when you're cursed),  there are lots of signs that humans are making progress and in fact living better. While you were busy hating yourself this is what's been happening :

• The number of people living in extreme poverty declined by 25% . 

• The Global Hunger Index improved by 27%.

• Child labor was reduced 40% .

•  Average life expectancy increased by 9 years worldwide.

• The number of countries governed by elected democracies increased  by 14% since 1990

• Reforestation exceeded global tree loss by a total replanted area of more than 800,000 square miles.

• Clean renewable power now supplies one-third of worldwide energy consumption, and is growing at over 7% annually.

Source: 
    https://www.vox.com/2014/11/24/7272929/global-poverty-health-crime-literacy-good-news

Of course there's still a big mess somebody needs to clean up. But problems caused by humans have human solutions, and when we believe we can do better we usually find a way.

My prediction ? The sun will burn up the planet in about 1.5 billion years. Some of you will get laid before then, and most of us will touch the stars.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 6, 2019 11:34 AM MDT
      August 5, 2019 6:52 PM MDT