Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Was Frankenstein Jewish? If he was, was the monster he MADE Jewish by proxy?

Was Frankenstein Jewish? If he was, was the monster he MADE Jewish by proxy?

Posted - August 15, 2019

Responses

my2?  Read Element's answer. LOL

How did we miss the OBVIOUS.  
      August 15, 2019 11:42 AM MDT

Oh ... this brings up an interesting angle, I had not considered previously.
    If Dr Frankenstein was Jewish ... then perhaps he was a Rabbi, who created an "advanced" golem (capable of speech and free thought).

According to Jewish mythology, golems were created out of clay.
    This would also explain why the book didn't say anything about Dr Frankenstein robbing body parts to build his creation. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at August 15, 2019 11:20 AM MDT
      August 15, 2019 10:00 AM MDT

If you look at the thing and what it utters, it could be the first TRUMP supporter.  

Or Trump's great-great grandpa more likely.  
      August 15, 2019 10:02 AM MDT

"According to Jewish mythology, golems were created out of clay."

As I originally stated
      August 15, 2019 11:27 AM MDT

No. Jewish heritage is only passed down through the mother.
      August 15, 2019 11:21 AM MDT

If I were treating this as a serious query, I’d answer it straight by saying, NO, probably not. 

A history lesson: The name Frankenstein is derived from a barony in central Germany in the 13th century, and the castle that still stands. According to Mary Shelley’s 19th century book, the character, Victor Frankenstein grew up in Switzerland, sometime in the 18th century. By then, both countries had been solid bastions of Christianity for over a thousand years.  
    If we examine history, Jews were largely expelled from the alpine nations of Central Europe during the 11th-14th century. They would not have held positions of nobility in the region. 

Thought we could use some historical context. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 16, 2019 12:31 AM MDT
      August 15, 2019 7:53 PM MDT

he couldve been
      August 16, 2019 2:52 PM MDT

I remember how in one Frankenstein film, Boris Karloff's character accidentally dropped an eyeball and its attachments on the floor from something like a Petri-dish. The audience gasped in horror. Years later, in a re-run of the film, the same occurrence caused the audience to howl with laughter. The awfulness factor in films is probably quietly dogging our tracks, becoming more specific and more graphic, as we become more and more hardened to guts, gore, death and general frightfulness. 
      September 12, 2019 10:27 AM MDT