Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Hmmm Listen to a Trump at a Rally or Don't Get Paid? I'd rather not get paid

Hmmm Listen to a Trump at a Rally or Don't Get Paid? I'd rather not get paid

SUPPORT FROM BIG OIL? WHO KNEW? 

Shell union workers were told they had to attend a Trump event or lose pay, Post-Gazette reports
Thousands of employees at a Shell petrochemical plant in Pennsylvania were told that a Trump event was not mandatory, but only those who attended would receive pay for the day, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. A memo sent to the employees also stated: "No yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event.

Posted - August 18, 2019

Responses

What a load of crap. Almost mandatory a**-kissing.
    Not mandatory. However...
      August 18, 2019 12:56 PM MDT

I would rather not work in a place that had enough PRO TRUMPERS to HAVE a rally at.  

WORSE?  If there are NONE and they are scared and need to go for fear of retaliation.  What kind of a scene would THAT be?  Would Trump scan the cameras for people who don't look PRO TRUMP enough?  AND have them thrown out of the country?  Like the new Kim Jong Un?    How far will he go?  He already accused Hilary of killing people and Bill of killing PEDO JEFF, so he must be a murderer himself. That's his M.O.:  deflection.   KILL ME NOW. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 18, 2019 5:07 PM MDT
      August 18, 2019 1:17 PM MDT

I would love....just free money. 
      August 18, 2019 2:05 PM MDT

Try reading that again.

Attendance not mandatory.
    If you don't attend (of course) you will not get overtime at the end of the week (because you took an excused absence).

No one was paid to go to a rally.  The place of reporting was changed to a destination to which the workers were bused, and they were fed a meal.  This is exactly how my company handled manning the PGA when it was a major sponsor.  I only went once because I don't care for golf and heat, plus I didn't get overtime any way, as I was a salaried employee.  Management with direct reports had no choice but to go.  Hourly workers had a choice.  I had a choice because I worked in the president's office.

It's best to read what is written rather than to read what you imagine is written.  Every. Single. Time.

August 18, 2019 6:40 PM MDT

"No one was paid to go to a rally."

That's right.  They were NOT paid if they did NOT go.
    I worked as an account manager for Royal Dutch Shell in the Netherlands. I know how they operate.

These people were union workers forced to support a political campaign outside the scope of their normal job responsibilities. 

Disgusting

Sugar coat it for Daddy Trump... 
    This post was edited by Jon at August 19, 2019 4:53 PM MDT
      August 18, 2019 6:50 PM MDT

If you are right and the workers actually lost pay for regular scheduled hours (not overtime) due to not going, well, I can't imagine the union going along with it.  My experience in dealing with labor issues between the company and union were generally friendly, but not that friendly.  My reading of that was if you didn't go you would get an excused day off with pay, but not qualify for the end of week overtime because even though you were paid, it was not for hours worked.  If you are saying an excused day off work is without pay is a horse of another color.  I reread it and got no sense of whether the excused day was with pay or not.  

It sounds like you had an exciting (and probably pretty lucrative) job with Shell.  My brother worked for Shell in Houston a long time ago.  He only stayed with them about five years.  He has stories too.
      August 18, 2019 7:51 PM MDT

I had a great job. Actually, I was a Global Project Manager for EDS and RDS was one of my clients. I was rather sad to leave that job but the assignment ended
      August 19, 2019 4:51 PM MDT

Hmm, I'm curious as to how you feel about my husband upon first joining a construction union, where he was forced to hold signs in our city for Democrat candidates in my blue state, as well as FORCED to put signs in our front yard supporting democrat candidates OR he'd be fined $250 out of his paycheck if he didn't. This came to my knowledge back in 1998 when we were struggling to make ends meet to support our young family, where I being a fiscal conservative had to reluctantly agree to allow these Democrat politicians signs in my front yard for fear of my husband not eventually being accepted into his construction union if they found out that we were conservatives....so back then we had to suck it up and put signs in our front yard supporting Democrats that we did NOT support. 
      August 18, 2019 11:43 PM MDT

Oh please, ever since my husband has been in a construction union (since 1998) in our blue state, he was forced to put Democrat politicians signs in our front, yard as well as forced to hold signs supporting  Democrat politicians OR be financially fined if he didn't....thus when he first got into the Union we as a middle class family had to tow the line agreeing to put Ted Kennedy sings in our front and then eventually having to also put Elizabeth Warren sings in our front yard OR he'd BE FINED or laid off....

eh my husband eventually didn't give a rat's ass anymore if he got fined or fired for not agreeing to support Democrat candidates that he disagreed with......where since he "came out" as being a conservative and no longer giving a shit of being fired or being laid off for his political beliefs. he' hasn't been laid off or fired....BECAUSE  he's an old school (tough as nails) construction guy,  who has  no tolerance/ patience for the young construction workers on his job site. thus riding them HARD to DO THEIR F***ing JOB and get off your F***ing damn phones and get back work!!".......where the BILLIONAIRE developers of the buildings he works on actually love his attitude, and want him on all their jobs....but could never say so publically, for fear that  they would be labeled as RACIST by employing this mean guy /Trump supporter who' is insensitive to the FEELINGS of his young construction co-workers on their jobs, smh.
      August 18, 2019 11:03 PM MDT

Massachusettes never fined anyone or required anyone to support Democrats. 
    I grew up there. I know this for a fact. 

August 19, 2019 6:31 AM MDT