Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Student debt forgiveness...signed into law. Guess by who?

Student debt forgiveness...signed into law. Guess by who?

Dems have been campaigning on this for decades...Clinton did, Obama did. But the first do anything of the kind President Trump. On Aug 21, 2019 President Trump signed student debt forgiveness for disabled vets. Surprised?

Posted - August 22, 2019

Responses

Nope. 

If anyone else did it?  I would not be suspect.  

This is like you telling me, yes Hitler gassed the Jews, yes Hitler caused World War II, but you know what else he did?

TOO LITTLE my 2 and way too late to care after all the atrocities he committed against the military including denouncing their leaders and saying he knew better than all the generals. FOR STARTERS.
    He has hi-jacked the military on all sides and made them his BEOTCHES and you know it. Where Putin points, Trump and the military follow.  

You know how he said Dems who are Jews are a disgrace if they vote Democratic?  Well, those in the military who are pro-Trump puppets are who we really should be pointing the finger towards.

BIG DEAL. HOW ABOUT STUDENT DEBT-FORGIVENESS FOR EVERYONE?  

College used to cost $5 a semester hour when I was in college. And I understand that we have to allow for cost of living increases.  

Does that amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to go to college?

Let him do that one?  I will vote for him myself.  

THAT WILL BE THE DAY MORON WOULD EVER BE THAT SAVVY.
      August 22, 2019 9:10 AM MDT

Do I expect anyone on the left to give him credit....of course not.
      August 22, 2019 11:53 AM MDT

Thankfully, vets can opt out of the program.
    Why would anybody want to NOT have their student loan forgiven?
    Because it's counted as taxable income by the federal government.
    (it would take an act of Congress to change that part of the tax law)

Veterans will still have the right to weigh their options and to decline loan discharge within 60 days of notification of their eligibility.  Veterans may elect to decline loan relief either because of potential tax liability in some states, or because receiving loan relief could make it more difficult to take future student loans.  
    https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/trump-administration-automatically-forgive-federal-student-loan-debt-totally-and-permanently-disabled-veterans

After further research ... it MAY NOT be taxable income (depending if the person is totally disabled):
    https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc431

EXCEPTIONS to Cancellation of Debt Income:

1. Amounts canceled as gifts, bequests, devises, or inheritances
    2. Certain qualified student loans canceled under the loan provisions that the loans would be canceled if you work for a certain period of time in certain professions for a broad class of employers
    3. Certain other education loan repayment or loan forgiveness programs to help provide health services in certain areas.
    4. Amounts of canceled debt that would be deductible if you, as a cash basis taxpayer, paid it
    5. A qualified purchase price reduction given by the seller of property to the buyer
    6. Any Pay-for-Performance Success Payments that reduce the principal balance of your home mortgage under the Home Affordable Modification Program
    7. Amounts from student loans discharged on the account of death or total and permanent disability of the student.
    This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at August 22, 2019 4:07 PM MDT
      August 22, 2019 9:37 AM MDT

Someone will always figure out a way to screw us, no matter what.
      August 22, 2019 11:45 AM MDT

By the last line in your post....if a vet qualifies to have the student debt cancelled means they are disabled and therefore not subject to being taxed as additional income. 
      August 22, 2019 11:57 AM MDT

That is Walt's post. I just responded.
      August 22, 2019 12:10 PM MDT

Sorry hit reply on the wrong one. But he found it anyways. 
      August 22, 2019 1:34 PM MDT

ONLY if they are totally disabled.
    If they are not totally disabled ... it doesn't matter that they are permanently disabled.

But what does "total" disability mean?
    According to the IRS: You are permanently and totally disabled if you cannot engage in any substantial gainful activity because of your physical or mental condition.

https://www.taxact.com/support/16819/2015/disability-requirement-for-irs-credits-definition-of-permanently-and-totally-disabled

It also clarifies what "substantial gainful activity" means.

So ... a vet who has lost a limb, but can still work, will likely not qualify as "totally" disabled.  While a vet who is physically whole, but suffers mental trauma (PTSD) to the point of being incapable of working, will likely qualify.
      August 22, 2019 12:19 PM MDT

Correct. Disabled is about not being able to hold a job that pays you X amount of money per month. It is the same rule for everyone. Veteran or civilian.
      August 22, 2019 1:33 PM MDT

I am a veteran. And disabled after my service. Does that count? I still have $35K to pay.
      August 22, 2019 10:53 AM MDT

I don't know. Apply and see.
      August 22, 2019 11:40 AM MDT

I will.
      August 22, 2019 11:44 AM MDT

Pandering to one of the very few demographics he has yet to denigrate. 
    Is it about time? Sure it is.

Does it cover every vet, every student loan, or even a majority of either? No, it doesn’t. Not even close, but those who are eligible are among the most deserving and, not coincidentally, the least able to pay. 

Does it change or improve ANY aspect of Trump’s comprehensive unfitness for public office? No, not in the slightest. 
      August 22, 2019 3:03 PM MDT

Politicians on the right of politics sometimes enact laws that surprise and please left-wing voters.
    In Australia, Prime Minister John Howard brought in gun ownership restrictions after the Port Arthur massacre and the subsequent statistics show that the measure greatly helped to reduce the number of gun crimes.
    Recently in NSW, Premier Gladys Berejiklian brought in the decriminalisation of abortion on the basis of a conscience vote for all politicians.
    If I examine the record of all right-wing leaders, there is usually something in what they've achieved that I approve of.

In the record of left-wing leaders there are often things I disapprove of. For instance, It was Prime Minister Kevin Rudd who set up Australia's off-shore detention and processing of "illegal" asylum seekers. To be clear - these refugees are and always have been legal under international law to which Australia is a signatory. But due to circumstances directly caused by their position as refugees, they had no identity papers and were therefore unable to apply by the usual rules of immigration.
    The off-shore detention camps were concentration camps. The refugees had inadequate medicine and care on many levels. Many became very sick and some died. The horror and shame of it has made Australia an example of injustice and inhumanity.

my2cents - what do you think? Has there ever been a Democratic leader who did something good in your view?
      August 22, 2019 6:49 PM MDT