Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Why do some dogs hate men?

Why do some dogs hate men?

My new lab hates all men. He bares his teeth when he sees a man and gets all scary. He's not like that with women or children. Someone told me that's probably because the dog was abused as a pup, but that seems to be the catch-all excuse and I don't think it's backed by any research. Are there dogs that haven't been abused that simply don't like men? Is there any known cause for this? I've had other dogs who have behaved in a similar way (all adopted from the pound, so I didn't know their histories), but this guy is pretty extreme. 

Posted - August 23, 2019

Responses

• There may not be an actual reason. I think pets like people can just be born crazy sometimes. 
      August 23, 2019 8:32 PM MDT

Maybe it's a Alfa male thing. Cheers and happy weekend!
      August 23, 2019 9:02 PM MDT

A family member has Dachshunds and one of them hates her father.  When dad comes over that dog stays in the room where dad is and never takes her eyes off of him.  It's interesting to observe.  
      August 23, 2019 9:19 PM MDT

This makes me curious about the relationship between the dad and daughter, especially if he's the only man the dog reacts to that way. 
      August 24, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

I was curious as well. Maybe not about the father/ daughter relationship specifically, but if there was anything that might explain the dog's behavior.
      August 24, 2019 10:35 AM MDT

My daughter has three weenies and they love everyone they know, other than the one dog that doesn't like my daughter's dad.  She and her dad have a good relationship.  The dog may have been abused before my daughter got her; she (my daughter) takes abandoned animals.  Other men come and go and the little dog doesn't treat them like she does dad.  

August 24, 2019 6:43 PM MDT

I was curious about this, so I googled it. Apparently it's common and there are no concrete answers.  Some theories are that most men are bigger, louder and more assertive than most women, that puppies were raised by women and not used to men, and that the smell of men is different than the smell of women which is (to a dog), more similar to its mother.
      August 24, 2019 2:32 AM MDT

Interesting. Thank you.
      August 24, 2019 10:34 AM MDT

One thing I know for certain, is that dogs have their own intuition and feelings because of past experiences. They are also keenly aware of their humans' feelings and often base their reactions on those. 

I'm not presuming that you have a distrust of men, but if you do, it could explain it. Also could have been his previous owner.

What name did you go with for him, btw? 
      August 24, 2019 7:02 AM MDT

We went with Loki. It fits him. He's really sweet with my little kids and me, but gets carried away in play. The pound listed him as being two, but when we were doing our meet-and-greet, even the lady there agreed he was probably closer to one. 

He doesn't behave like an abused dog. He gets pretty wild, but stops when I scold him. The few times I've challenged him (took an aggressive posture, stared him down), like when he wouldn't stop jumping, he didn't behave aggressively toward me. He certainly stared me down back but there's nothing about his behavior to suggest he sees me as a threat or gets wary of fast movements, like you would expect with an abused dog. I really can't gauge his behavior and what his life might have been like before. It feels like the prior owner didn't work with him at all. Like he was mostly ignored. 

As for distrusting men... well, yeah. I do. LMAO But, Loki doesn't seem to differentiate one man from the next. I've been storing things for one of my exes. He came by and let himself in to get stuff. I came through and the dog had him cornered and was bearing his teeth. Yes! One point for Loki! But, then my son came to visit- he's 22. He's in no way a threat and we're all very much at ease. I would think the dog would pick up on the relationship. Loki did eventually chill (after like 30 minutes of conditioning), but he still wasn't a fan. I've got an elderly neighbor as well. Great guy. Probably in his early 80s. He wanted to meet the dog, so he stuck his head up over the fence to say hello, and then Loki almost took it. The dog's got some jump. lol 
      August 24, 2019 10:53 AM MDT

• Dogs in general are adverse to anything that deviates from there norm.
    People wonder why this dog doesn't like men.  That dog doesn't like black people. These dogs don't like white people.  My dog hates any woman I bring over.. Etc, etc, etc.

Dogs very often don't like or are apprehensive around different people they aren't often exposed to at home.
      August 24, 2019 9:43 AM MDT

That's a very good point. That probably makes more sense. I didn't see your answer before I responded to the others, but if he was in a house with a single mom and small children before, it's entirely possible he was loved and just not worked with. It would explain all the odd behaviors, including the distrust/ dislike for men. 
      August 24, 2019 10:55 AM MDT

• I often speculate  it to pheromone differences and dogs being so scent driven.  I think us smelling similar but different at the same time to kinda gets their attention.
      August 24, 2019 12:42 PM MDT

You know, surprisingly, Chance didn't like black people either.  Isn't that odd?
    She had no reason not to like them.  We have many black friends and she didn't dig them for some reason.  I mean, she didn't bite but she growl low and under her breath.  We told her it was rude and defintely inappropiate behavior and if she didn't change her attitude she would have to leave the room.
    That did shut her up a few times but other times, like when we'd all be getting up and down at a bbq or something, we put her in the other room.  It was the only behavior of hers that we didn't get.  Totally wierd, 
      August 24, 2019 3:01 PM MDT

I came into this question a bit late. All of the above are excellent points, facts, and choices as to why this behavior is happening, especially with labs.
    There is another thought I've experienced that may not have been addressed.

Please look at it from Loki's point of view.
    Protection and thankfulness.
    Many people don't realize the effect being in the pound has on a dogs psyche. Dogs/puppies are very susceptible to being behind bars and feeling unwanted.  It is like being at an adoption agency and being behind bars for just existing all wrapped into one.
    They are very lonely and need human companionship.  They are depressed and feel nobody wants them.  Watching people walk by, one by one... day in and day out takes a toll on a dog/pup.  The more the days the more the feeling of nobody loving them or wanting them.  What did they do wrong? They talk to the other dogs who have been there for weeks.  They hear the howls of the lonely one who knows his days are numbered.  They see other dogs be adopted.  Why not them?  They don't know why they are there and feel so sad nobody wants them.  It's making me cry just writing this.
    The day you walked in and brought Loki home was and is the best day of his life.  He is so happy to feel love and be in a home with a wonderful women and children to play with.  He is so happy to have fresh food and water and a collar and a leash he can call his.  He has a castle to protect and people who love him and he DOES LOVE YOU SO Much, he is beside himself with joy and wants to show you.
    If ANY MAN comes into his house and his party of life, he is NOT going to let that man hurt you and your kids.  He knows this and is going to show you he is capable.  He now owns you, too.  You are his humans and no man is going to stop that.
    Why he singles out men, I can only gather the same conclusions as the others above.  The scent.  The alpha dog, the stature, your feelings on men, his love for you and your kids.
    There is one thing for sure. You will never find a man who is more loyal, more loving, nor as thankful for your existence than you will a pound puppy.
    Dogs/puppies picked up from the pound are THE MOST dedicated and loyal fur-family friends you will EVER have in your life.
    Every pound puppy I have had has proven this to be true.  They have all lived happy and healthy lives with me and I will never buy a dog from a breeder or a friend. 
    Dogs know this and are thankful to you, for the rest of their lives.
    Congratulations to you, your kids and especially Loki!! You all are going to have great lives together!  Yipppeee!!
    :) :)

P.S.  Great name!  It sounds like it fits him perfectly. :) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at August 24, 2019 8:20 PM MDT
      August 24, 2019 2:51 PM MDT