Active Now

Danilo_G
WelbyQuentin
DannyPetti
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » If you hate everyone equally, are you racist?

If you hate everyone equally, are you racist?

Posted - August 25, 2019

Responses

Nup. That just makes the person a misanthrop - fancy word for someone who hates people.
    It's probably a symptom of a personality disorder - and probably caused by having been treated very badly as a child.

I wondered for a moment whether people who are accustomed to experiencing racism might misinterpret such hate as directed towards them because of their appearance. But then I decided, probably not. Racist behaviours and remarks have a particular flavour that is self-revealing in the moment.
      August 25, 2019 12:03 PM MDT

Well-put and just about perfect.

August 25, 2019 12:08 PM MDT

• Misanthropy and cynicism is just the logical conclusion of reaching 30.  If you're paying attention to humanity anyway.

August 25, 2019 12:22 PM MDT

I'm paying attention and reading you and Goat boy talking about your neighbors. HILARIOUS.  It is NOT racist if it is TRUE.  
      August 25, 2019 12:27 PM MDT

• Plus it is all in good nature.  I love the variety.
      August 25, 2019 12:29 PM MDT

Of course.  We all have that same humor. Imagine us trying to get people all RILED up over this.  LOL 
      August 25, 2019 12:43 PM MDT

I sort of disagree.
    A cynic is a disappointed idealist - one who has learned not to expect things to turn out to be the same as the public image.
    If we expect people to be perfect, or to always meet high standards, then naturally we will be disappointed.

But if we understand that there are almost always very good reasons why people are as they are - then disappointment is rare.

Humans will always be a complex mix of beneficial and negative traits.
    We will always drift towards a mean of mediocrity.
    We will always make serious mistakes out of greed, ignorance, fear or anger.

But this does not mean that anyone over 30 will naturally end up hating all fellow humans.

Despite our flaws, we are an innately social species. We need each other in order to survive and thrive.
    But to do so takes emotional intelligence and wisdom.
    Fortunately, these are learnable skills. This post was edited by inky at August 25, 2019 7:10 PM MDT
      August 25, 2019 1:41 PM MDT

• There is no good reason for Jeffery Epstiens, Donald Trumps, and instagram influencers.
      August 25, 2019 2:16 PM MDT

Well.... there is.... but that is another 50 page back and forth......
      August 25, 2019 2:20 PM MDT

Racism is thinking one race is superior to another. You can love all races equally and still be a racist.
      August 25, 2019 3:36 PM MDT