Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Have you ever assembled your own computer? If so, why in the world did you want to do that? If you didn't do it, then why the heck not?

Have you ever assembled your own computer? If so, why in the world did you want to do that? If you didn't do it, then why the heck not?

Posted - August 29, 2019

Responses

I have assembled many PCs, mostly for myself but I have built some for others. I built my boys PC.
    I had the Desktop that I am currently using built per my specifications. I did no't not feel like going down that road again. It's fun if you know what you're doing and a great learning experience
      August 29, 2019 4:26 PM MDT

• I can't wait to see all the joy that radiates from your face
    when you help me build mine. 
    I wuvs you!

I'm so glad I can bring these special moments to your life.
      August 29, 2019 4:37 PM MDT

I am really excited about doing that with you. We're gonna have a blast!
      August 29, 2019 4:52 PM MDT

No. I have changed out parts and added memory etc. But never from the shell out. I did have my brother build one years ago. 
    More recently, I have noticed it is hard to buy the equipment to do it and not spend more than you would buying ready to go cpu. 
      August 29, 2019 4:58 PM MDT

You are correct.  It can be more expensive. Especially when you start ordering high-end parts which is very easy to do.  This post was edited by Jon at September 2, 2019 8:38 AM MDT
      August 29, 2019 5:15 PM MDT

I could do so if I wanted to, but haven't. Electronics was my specialty in the Navy. Cheaper to just buy one.
      August 29, 2019 6:32 PM MDT

Not from where I'm standing, it isn't. I built a very good computer for half what it would have cost to buy one of the same specification.
      August 29, 2019 8:23 PM MDT

Back in the day when the inside of a pc became really relly dusty I would take it apart and put it back together.  also added various drives, simple things.  Today technology has passed me by.  
      August 29, 2019 8:10 PM MDT

Several times. There's a parts store not far from me, it costs roughly half to buy the parts and put them together than to buy an already assembled one. Everything is plug-and-play these days, so it's not hard.
      August 29, 2019 8:21 PM MDT

I would have trouble with the software set-up.
      August 30, 2019 7:36 AM MDT

Yes many times when I had Desktops.  Cost was half of a Premade and I could get what I want.  Really no effort at all.  Most of my friends who are Gamers still build there own.

These days I am 100% laptops so no more assembly
      August 30, 2019 8:50 AM MDT

• I have, yes. I have built a number of gaming desktops, for me and for friends. It can be a lot of fun, it is more affordable than having someone do it for you, and you can get better parts than what you can get from OEM computers. That said, it's not so easy and it isn't for everyone. 
      August 31, 2019 2:08 PM MDT