Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » Do (or Did) you like Don Rickles?

Do (or Did) you like Don Rickles?

I thought he was hysterically funny.  But the funniest friend I've ever had didn't like him; said he was too mean to people.  That was the kind of humor I grew up with.  If only my ex-Marine step-father had been that funny!

Posted - September 6, 2019

Responses

He was witty.  He was ballsy.  He was the first of the insult comics.  I think that dog is him as a puppet.  That insult dog.
    Robert Smigel. Robert Smigel (born February 7, 1960) is an American actor, humorist, puppeteer, comedian and writer known for his Saturday Night Live "TV Funhouse" cartoon shorts and as the puppeteer and voice behind Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 22, 2020 12:08 AM MDT
      September 6, 2019 8:20 PM MDT

I think he was a funny guy.
    The skinny is, in person Rickles was a gracious, kind and gentle man. 
      September 6, 2019 8:23 PM MDT

I've heard that, too.
      March 16, 2020 10:39 AM MDT

Back in the day, I thought he was great.  Now that I'm older I really don't appreciate his degrading method of humor. 
      September 7, 2019 5:38 AM MDT

Okay, thanks a lot.  Now sit down, you're making a fool of yourself.  (Paraphrased from Don Rickles interviewing an audience member while substitute hosting the Tonight Show years ago.)  Don't you  think that's even a little funny?  You never had a relative or boss that treated you like that?  Wouldn't YOU like to mock them just a little?
      March 22, 2020 12:14 AM MDT

I grew up with him and thought he was funny.  
      September 7, 2019 10:54 AM MDT

I haven't listened to him in a long time but I admit I can get uncomfortable a bit (not in a major way) sometimes by his humor but I still laugh. Something about his harshness is still approachable and funny.

Actually, I'm more of a Kevin Meaney and Brian Regan type of guy.
    :)
      March 16, 2020 10:42 AM MDT