Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » 70 THOUSAND people are homeless in the Bahamas. What kind of relief is possible for them now?

70 THOUSAND people are homeless in the Bahamas. What kind of relief is possible for them now?

Posted - September 7, 2019

Responses

Rebuilding is going to be a monumental task which will cost billions of dollars and which will require much financial assistance from around the world.  We know that it will likely come down to the US, UK, ad possibly France and Germany assisting.  You can bet there will be little money from the Middle East although I believe Israel sent help when Haiti was decimated and they could conceivably do the same in the Bahamas.  If the cruise lines will send ships to feed and house people temporarily, that would be a great help.  
      September 7, 2019 10:33 AM MDT

They would be better off building huts for all.   Did you see the airport?  There is none. It is a shell.  How can anything even get in and out that way?  And so many hurt and injured and dead.  I'm still processing all this.  Have you ever HEARD of Category FIVE?   That is who is in charge of Puerto Rico and I doubt very much that the Bahamas will see any help from Trump at all.  He may lie about it, but he won't do it.  
      September 7, 2019 11:04 AM MDT

The place is nothing more than rubble at this point.  Before they can erect any type of housing, they have to clear the rubble, then they can set up tents.  At the moment, ships are able to enter the harbor, so they can bring in supplies.  They can also be air-dropped.  There was a Bahamian man interviewed on the news two days ago who said that the only help they were getting was from the U.S.  Even if Trump doesn't send much in terms of the country, I believe Americans will send assistance in the form of clothing and money for supplies on their own - same as they did for Haiti.  We are a generous people.  I have contributed to World Central Kitchen and my firm is matching donations.  They are the people who went down to P.R. and set up food stations to feed those in need.  
      September 7, 2019 11:11 AM MDT

Of course.  I hear you.  But Haiti needs a lot more than what they received.  They are starving.  Oh.  And YOU ARE GREAT.  WONDERFUL TO HEAR your work and generosity and inspiring.  
      September 7, 2019 11:16 AM MDT

Unfortunately, Haiti's government is very corrupt which has made it more difficult for people to open their wallets because the money is not going to the people who need it.  Haiti has always been one of the poorest countries.  The Bahamas, on the other hand, seem to be well run with a decent government and people who are industrious and looking to help themselves with a little help from their friends rather than to have some country come in and do it for them.  
      September 7, 2019 11:21 AM MDT

There are entities from many countries with economic interests in the Bahamas, unlike with Haiti.
    Various resorts, cruise lines, ex-pats (like Sean Connery) and wealthy foreign investors with real estate and business holdings there. 
    I suspect the aid will be swift and substantial, but locals will suffer greatly in the short-term. 
      September 7, 2019 10:57 AM MDT

That is great for the Bahamans and really focuses on the plight of the Haitians.  I forgot all about them since we are forgetting still about Puerto Rico and all.  
      September 7, 2019 11:01 AM MDT

It’s not that PR is necessarily forgotten, just that it had not been mentioned as yet. The situation there is a roadmap of what to expect for The Bahamas, but maybe a call to arms as well. We’ll see. 
      September 8, 2019 5:09 AM MDT

Since The Bahamas are British territory, da queen can send help. All the homeless can move in with the Canadians, Aussies, etc. Trump is off the hook this time.
      September 7, 2019 6:43 PM MDT

Yeah, he can keep his focus on more golfing on our dime and spewing bile at other Americans on Twitter.

Little doubt Bahamians prefer it that way. They can get paper towels elsewhere.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 8, 2019 6:10 AM MDT
      September 8, 2019 5:11 AM MDT