Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Spunky
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What are some movies that would have been way shorter if the main character had simply done what they were told?

What are some movies that would have been way shorter if the main character had simply done what they were told?

Posted - September 9, 2019

Responses

Heist
    The Sting
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    The Outlaw Josie Wales
    Cool Hand Luke
    Pipi Longstockings
    Beverly Hills Cop
    Predator
    The Terminator
    Diehard
    Home Alone
    High Noon
    Norma Rae
    Erin Brockovich
    Trading Places
    Jungle Fever
    Bullit
    It‘s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
    Ghostbusters
    Wayne’s World
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Kelly‘s Heroes
    Kill Bill
    Thelma and Louise
    The Defiant Ones
    Silverado
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    The Guns of Navarone

~

September 9, 2019 8:32 AM MDT

• Some of those are a bit debatable...

Predator:  Dutch was just taking orders and following orders is what got him and his team stuck in the jungle being hunted by an alien in the first place.

Home Alone:  That was more child neglect than the child not listening.  

Terminator:  Can't say Sarah Connor was really ever told to do anything...a Terminator just showed up and started trying to kill her...

Trading Places:  One guy was conned and the other guy was part of the con...they didn't make a stand until the end of the movie. 
      September 9, 2019 8:41 AM MDT

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings

Game of Thrones

and a list of about a million others.  I think that it is the main reason stories are made and filmed.  It is about people not doing what they were told to do.

September 9, 2019 8:45 AM MDT

• Hmm, can't say I really see how LOTR/Hobbit applies. Frodo in LOTR actually does exactly what he is told pretty much without question and Bilbo does the same in the Hobbit.  Gandalf speaks and they move. 

And in GOT if we are going to say that Dany and Jon are the main characters both of them are just following orders for seasons on end as well until they start to see their own potential. 
      September 10, 2019 6:19 AM MDT

• If the pet owner of the little Gizmo didn’t let him get wet or eat after midnight...I barely remember that movie Cos been years. But that’s all I can think of right now. 
      September 9, 2019 5:22 PM MDT

Gremlins. 

~
      September 9, 2019 7:28 PM MDT

• But it would have to be  called something else if the gizmo never got wet or ate after midnight....
      September 10, 2019 5:31 AM MDT

I was just providing you with the name of the movie because you had forgotten it. 
    :)
      September 10, 2019 6:02 AM MDT

• Thank you :) 
      September 10, 2019 10:45 AM MDT

Should you and I get a room?

~
      September 12, 2019 7:00 AM MDT

• In Billy's defense he wasn't the one that knocked over the water.  He was also tricked into feeding them after midnight because Stripe messed with his clock.  
      September 10, 2019 6:13 AM MDT

Why defend him at all?  Her selection of that movie answers your question perfectly, doesn't it?

September 10, 2019 6:17 AM MDT

• Perfectly?  Not so much. He didn't make an effort to not do what he was told.  He was just naive and failed to execute. Big difference between someone refusing to do what you ask and someone not having the capacity to do what you ask. 
      September 10, 2019 6:25 AM MDT

Yes, perfectly. Had the Gremlins not been fed, the movie would have ended after the first twenty minutes or so. 
      Why are you fighting everyone's answer?

:•[
      September 10, 2019 6:28 AM MDT

• Ehh,  I'm not fighting.  Just putting way more thought into it than the people answering. It happens. 

September 10, 2019 6:39 AM MDT

Oak hay. 

~
      September 10, 2019 6:51 AM MDT

• What about adventures in babysitting? If Elizabeth Shue just stayed at the house with the kids ...IS THAT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU??? ;)
      September 10, 2019 10:47 AM MDT

• Yes, that is much better.  Amazing what a little bit of thinking before answering a question can do huh???
      September 10, 2019 10:57 AM MDT

• STOP BEING MEAN! Just pet my hair and tell me I’m pretty!! -_- 
      September 10, 2019 10:58 AM MDT

• I'm trying out various hair fondle techniques.....

September 10, 2019 11:03 AM MDT

• Lol, let me know when you’ve find the perfect technique. Okay I’m really going back to work now... bah :/ 
      September 10, 2019 11:12 AM MDT

That’s known as the feel-around-for-the-right-spot-just-before-breaking-the-neck-that-will-make-it-look-like-an-accident move. Run, Jaimie, run!
    ~
      September 11, 2019 8:56 AM MDT

• One of those moments where I tell her how much I love her but then suddenly do a 180 and say "but I'm sorry it has to be this way........"
      September 11, 2019 9:00 AM MDT

•   September 11, 2019 4:34 PM MDT