Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Political Correctness seems to have become anathema. Why is banning the use of the "n" word so terrible?

Political Correctness seems to have become anathema. Why is banning the use of the "n" word so terrible?

Why is refraining from being insulting worth vilifying the person who chooses to be kind and not a krass jacka**? I don't get it.

We live in a space where"ALTERNATIVE REALITY" is the only reality and questioning it marks you as a target for attack.

Why does choosing a less hurtful word so unacceptable? Is this demonizing of political correctness due to the fact that mr trump never is?

So just as NOAA insisted the scientists LIE about the weather to support the LIE mr trump insisted upon repeating is this the way we move forward?

No matter what mr trump says support it? Because he and he alone DECIDES what is true and what is not?
That will take getting used to after a zillion years of honoring respecting seeking TRUTH.

So we'll see what happens.

Posted - September 12, 2019

Responses

I haven't heard anything about banning the "n" word.
    I don't really have a problem with it - as long as it is enforced equally.
    The most common usage of the word is among blacks. 
    So if the word is banned, are they going to be held to the same standard as everybody else?
      September 12, 2019 8:33 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Walt. I am BIGLY offended by words that demean a particular group. The "n" word for AFrican Americans. The "K" word for Jewish people. The "W" word for Italians. The "F" word for members of the LGBTZ community. The "C" word for people in Asian countries. Etcetera and so forth. Others aren't. Go figger! Different strokes for different blokes and folks. Happy Thursday! :)
      September 12, 2019 11:38 AM MDT

This N word thing has not been much of an issue to me since OPRAH!   She made a huge deal of it and RIGHTLY SO.  She made a platform on her show about this very issue.

She was SICK and TIRED of it being allowed.  I don't blame her.  But it has gone past the point of any meaning to me.  

I don't think I am one iota prejudiced.  Black people are so great, I would be proud to be black.  YES.  So, I don't think I should squirm and sweat if I need to use that word.  I am not ever going to call someone that.  GOD NO.  

But to just treat it like it is the most SACRED BAD WORD ever, gives it way too much power.  It is just a stupid word to put down black people. That is all.  There are WOPS, KIKES SPIKS and CHINKS too.

They are all hideous words, I guess..   

I remember John Lennon's song:  Woman is the Nig---er of the World.  He certainly was not prejudiced.  He was the opposite.

Patty Smith did a song called Rock and Roll N999ger.  It was not about hating blacks.  

So, you can use that word to make a point and not dis black people.  

But, it would be better if we never use it.  But erasing a word does not erase a THING.  
      September 12, 2019 10:16 AM MDT

Words in and of themselves are meaningless.  it's what we associate with them that gives them meaning.   When one hears the word "rock", what  does it bring to mind?  A genre of music?  A solid object found in driveways and rivers? In and of itself the word "rock" has no meaning.  However, if some context is added ... "I like listening to rock", or, "He stubbed his toe on a rock".  Now what does the word "rock" bring to mind?
    What comes to mind when the one hears the word "gay"?  Being happy?  A person living an alternative lifestyle"?  Even without context, one's mind quickly puts a definition to that word.  The same goes for the "N" word.  In and of itself is meaningless.  However, it's what comes to the hearers  mind that gives it meaning. 
    The word "N" word used to be a racial slur against black-skinned people.  However, nowadays some black-skinned people use the "N" word to refer to themselves in rap music and street language.  However, if a non-black-skinned person says the word, it is derogatory slur.  

How does one go about banning a word?  Do we simply remove it from all written text (thou shalt not write that word again)?  Do we punish anyone who says it?  If so, how?  Do we send people who say it to jail?  Do we fine them?  Do we wash their mouths out with soap?   Who is to say which words must be banned?  Wo really has that authority?
      September 12, 2019 4:16 PM MDT

You " D".  :)
      September 12, 2019 5:06 PM MDT