Active Now

Urban Spaceman
Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » So the second amendment is all about protecting the people FROM their government? I did not know that. How paranoid is that?

So the second amendment is all about protecting the people FROM their government? I did not know that. How paranoid is that?

Posted - September 13, 2019

Responses

Most of the Bill of Rights (first 10 Amendments to the Constitution) were put in place because of the "lessons" learned by the colonists in their struggles against the British government.

The ENTIRE Bill of Rights - not just the 2nd Amendment - are "all about protecting the people from their government".

1st Amendment - protect the people from government censorship, and forced religion.
    2nd Amendment - protect the people from government use of force.
    3rd Amendment - protect the people from government quartering troops in our homes, without permission.
    4-7 Amendments - protect the people from government search and seizure, and "kangaroo courts".
    8th Amendment - protect the people from government punishments.
    9-10 Amendments - "... and those aren't the only Rights, just because they're the only ones we wrote down."
      September 13, 2019 8:37 AM MDT

The Declaration of Independence is all about the faults of the King. A list of specific grievances. It was directed at him for his past actions.

So our Constitution was built around him too? Though before chump we never had a King we do now. King chump. SIGH. The more things change the more they stay the same. If you don't learn from history you are DOOMED to keep repeating it. Dam*! Thank you for your reply Walt.
      September 13, 2019 8:46 AM MDT

A little knowledge of American history goes a long ways in understanding why we have the Second Amendment, and it has nothing to do with being paranoid. The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects the right of the individual to keep and bear firearms. The right to arm oneself is viewed as personal liberty to deter undemocratic or oppressive governing bodies from forming and to repel impending invasions. Furthermore, the right to bear arms was instituted within the Bill of Rights to suppress insurrection, participate and uphold the law, enable the citizens of the United States to organize a militia and to facilitate the natural right to self-defense. 

The Second Amendment was developed as a result of the tyrannous rule of the British parliament. Colonists were often oppressed and forced to pay unjust taxes at the hand of the unruly parliament. As a result, the American people yearned for an Amendment that would guarantee them the right to bear arms and protect themselves against similar situations. What are we seeing now as we speak? Our own government, at least the liberal part of it, is seeking to either change the wording of or completely remove the Second Amendment from the Constitution. Why? To try to do the very thing that the Second Amendment was ratified to prevent. 
      September 13, 2019 8:41 AM MDT

The only thing I would "correct" is that the 2nd Amendment isn't just about firearms.
    At the times, "arms" would have included any weapon.
    Sure, we normally think in terms of firearms ... but knives, staves, swords, bows, tomahawks ... any weapon would be covered.
    So if we get phasers in the future - those would be covered, as well.
      September 13, 2019 8:56 AM MDT

I would have to agree. When it comes to protecting your family, self, and friends against tyranny and attack, one would use whatever they had on hand.
      September 13, 2019 5:55 PM MDT

When did you get tyrannically attacked lately?  I didn't think so.  
      September 13, 2019 9:14 PM MDT

September 16, 2019 7:43 AM MDT