Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How can one tell a Russian and any other Slavic person apart?

How can one tell a Russian and any other Slavic person apart?

Is it even possible?

Posted - September 22, 2019

Responses

You tell a really funny joke the one that doesn't laugh is probably Russian (Russians usally don't have a sense of humor). Cheers and happy last day of summer!
      September 22, 2019 8:48 PM MDT

If you lived the way they have to, you wouldn't laugh either.  They also have a very high rate of alcoholism and their life expectancy is low.  
      September 22, 2019 10:04 PM MDT

• Facts.   German's (my ancestral people) don't have much a sense of humor either.  At least the Slavics have a good reason. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 23, 2019 10:23 AM MDT
      September 23, 2019 5:42 AM MDT

Well, as a Jew, I can attest to the fact that SOME Germans didn't have a sense of humor.  When I was in Berlin many years ago, I found the young people to be open and friendly, but the older ones were somewhat aloof, even with one another.  
      September 23, 2019 7:19 AM MDT

• It's supposedly a well observed general consensus my people in the Fatherland are humorless buzzkills.
      September 23, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

LOL ...
      September 24, 2019 8:23 AM MDT

Ask them.  
      September 22, 2019 10:16 PM MDT

• I couldn't.   They all spoke some sort of Russian.
      September 23, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

Sort of. I'm Polish, so I can usually identify someone who is Polish. I would say, comparatively, Polish people have rounder faces than Russians do, even though Russians are still on the rounder side compared to others, they're still more oval than the Polish. You can see it in the nose as well. Polish people tend to have longer, pointier (though not pointy) noses, and Russians have a similar shape, but they're blunted and shorter. It's in the chin too. I don't see a whole lot of Russians with a pointed or predominant chin that juts out a bit. We do get that a lot with the Polish. And, I may be wrong in this, but I think there are some differences in body shapes. I feel like Russians have wider and longer torsos. And, although I think both are known for long legs, I think Russian legs are slender and Polish legs are more muscular. 

I find it easier to tell a Polish and Russian person apart than say, a Polish person and Ukrainian. 
      September 22, 2019 11:36 PM MDT

• Oh yeah. Poles are easier to tell.  I grew up around lots of Poles and Ukies.   You could tell them apart by which alphabet they used on the front of their Church.
      September 23, 2019 5:43 AM MDT

• Already told you, furry hat. You never listen. 
      September 23, 2019 5:45 AM MDT

Facial features of Slavic folks are too diverse to make a single statement about any group. My mother's family came from Eastern Europe, Russia, The Ukraine. I look like an average white guy. I think it would take an expert to detect the minor differences. Odd, but when I met my present wife, I knew she was Slavic, as her facial features tended toward the extreme. I soon found out her ancestry is Chzeck.
      September 23, 2019 10:44 AM MDT

My paternal grandfather was Polish, my paternal grandmother was Russian.  Mom's side both were Austrian.  My father looked Italian, my mom looked Irish.  I have been asked if I was Italian or German, but no one ever thinks I'm Jewish.
      September 24, 2019 8:27 AM MDT