Active Now

Reverend Muhammadovsky
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Does your local news still have a sports anchor? Is this still actually a legitimate full time job?

Does your local news still have a sports anchor? Is this still actually a legitimate full time job?

Posted - September 24, 2019

Responses

Yeah...all three stations. All they talk about is the upcoming HS football games, though.
      September 24, 2019 7:35 AM MDT

• I imagine maybe the sports anchor operates in a dual role these days.  "And that's today's sports wrap-up....now if you'll excuse me I have to go mop the break room.  On to Sandy and today's weather."
      September 24, 2019 8:43 AM MDT

And then there is the traffic guy/girl. I wonder what they do for a living.
      September 24, 2019 11:55 AM MDT

• I guess refreshing the view on hundreds of traffic cams for 12 straight hours starting at 5 a.m. 
      September 24, 2019 12:27 PM MDT

Not here. We have about a dozen cams on four major highways. Yawn.
      September 24, 2019 12:49 PM MDT

I don't watch "regular" tv.  WHAT IS THAT?  

Does it even exist any more?  I'm serious.  

September 24, 2019 8:38 AM MDT

• Lol I never watch regular tv anymore either...but the rare instances I do I feel like I'm watching a broadcast from another planet. 
      September 24, 2019 8:42 AM MDT

I no longer watch television but I don't believe the local radio stations have a sports anchor. Sports scores are given by the news anchors.
      September 24, 2019 9:01 AM MDT

• Yeah, he's wicked annoying.
      September 24, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

• Is he a "Super Bro" that gets really loud and cracks jokes about his wife trying to talk to him while sports are on?
      September 24, 2019 12:29 PM MDT

• Nah, but there's a guy like that in Western NY on TV.  He's got your stereotypical Guido meathead on coke voice a persona.

The guy around here is this short and fat old bald dude who's like caricature of 1950s Jewish deli owner.
      September 24, 2019 1:44 PM MDT

I am not sure what local radio station serves my area: there seems to be two or three that overlap a bit! So I don't know what sports news they carry, if any. If anything like the major TV channels and the Radio Times listing for BBC Radio Five, "sports" are very limited in scope, predominantly all-professional football, cricket, boxing and tennis.

Most local stations I have encountered, especially the commercial ones, are merely pop-music broadcasters made centrally and flavoured with local advertisements and news headlines.

However, our local newspaper does cover local sports quite well, from the semi-pro football and County cricket teams, via dinghy sailing and windsurfing contests, to the local skittles leagues. 
      September 26, 2019 2:04 PM MDT