Active Now

Slartibartfast
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Music » Johnny Cash just came through. Do you keep a close watch on that heart of yours? Please post Johnny Cash.

Johnny Cash just came through. Do you keep a close watch on that heart of yours? Please post Johnny Cash.

And those of you who can't post, I am off today, so name one and I'll get it for you.  I am kind that way when I have time. 

The benevolent Sharonna

Posted - October 1, 2019

Responses

My father bought me a record player when I was about 10 years old.  I Walk the Line was the first record I ever bought for that record player.
      October 1, 2019 10:04 AM MDT

These are ALL Asker's Pick-worthy answers.  This is so cool to hear.  That guy was a poet-minstrel.  
      October 1, 2019 10:25 AM MDT

For some reason, I don't/can't remember names of songs that I like.  Of course, Ring of Fire is also a classic, but I would not have remembered it had I not read all the answers on this tread.
      October 1, 2019 10:30 AM MDT

• Huge Cash fan. He was a man with a great heart and ability to accept everyone.  A human monument to unity.

My favorite story about him is when he was asked by Nixon to play at the White House.  He accepted it as an honor and drew much disdain from.his younger and more left sided fans as it was seen as him legitimizing the agendas of the Nixon administration.  When Nixon asked him to play the song Welfare Cadillac,  a song that made fun of and derided low class citizens on public assistance.  Cash refused saying he did not know that song. He instead chose to play " What is Truth".  A protest song with a strong anti-war theme. Much to Nixon's ire.

That's class right there.  Using an opportunity and accepting an honor, while never compromising ones own beliefs and feelings. That's how unity and progress is seeded and nurtured.
      October 1, 2019 10:11 AM MDT

I gave bhw Asker's Pick. This is also Asker's Pick OF THE DAY.  

Loved that you both managed to capture the MAN who had a GREAT voice and transcended his genre ( ( am no fan of country as a rule) and managed to cross-over to everyone with his style and grace.  AND VOICE.

And character.  He is known as much for his character as his music.  Think of his family and their values and love for each other.  That resonates too.  
      October 1, 2019 10:23 AM MDT

• His main political stance and expression always seemed to boil down to " hey,  we are all in this together like it or not"
      October 1, 2019 10:44 AM MDT

I remember that maudlin sentiment.  It was called Democracy.  "member? 
      October 1, 2019 10:48 AM MDT

• That's not what democracy means but I get your point.  

No, no I don't remember.   I honestly don't know of this mythical time when we we were all on board and living harmoniously.  I know of a brief time when great strides were being made towards such and a brief time when things were moving in a better direction. That is all though.
    Sadly mass communication has stymied it. A tool that was assumed to bring people together and allowed them to share ideas and expression with each other has had unforseen.consequences. It was believed this new tool would bring people closer together and fuel cooperation and allow us to see the humanity in each other.  Well it did bring people together.  The downside and unintended consequence of that is it has brought people together in their chosen groups of confirmation biases and allowed the fringes to amass into small drives of their own.  Today's turmoil isn't about wealth, or land, or resources as it was  in the past.  Its about the infancy stage of the data and communication age and human beings not able to get fully grasp what they ate dealing with here or how to handle it.
      October 1, 2019 10:59 AM MDT

When I was about 10, in 1963, I went to the drive-in theater with my cousins to see the movie 'Ring of Fire'.  The movie was not that great, but the song was. 
      October 1, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

And that is it in a nutshell.  That man and his voice was all that was needed to make any song amazing.  He and Willie Nelson are just gifted. What can you say?

I am not a country buff, it is not my first style of music that I go to.  To put it mildly. But when you have an artist like that, he can sing the phone book.  Thanks bhw, we have bonded over Johnny.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 1, 2019 3:28 PM MDT
      October 1, 2019 10:16 AM MDT

His performance of "A Boy Named Sue" has always made me smile.
    :)

(and one of the few times I really like the 'live' performance in front of a crowd - - usually I let the crowd responses hinder my enjoyment of the singer/band -  but somehow the crowd adds to my enjoyment)

October 1, 2019 1:34 PM MDT

• Interesting factoid.  Johnny Cash's most popular and famous song was actually written by an urban Jew from Chicago. He would also write several other country songs and most of the songs for the band Dr. Hook.   Most often recognized for his children's books such as The Giving Tree and A light in the Attic, his name was Shel Silverstien.
      October 1, 2019 2:30 PM MDT

My oldest boy gave me a copy of A Light In the Attic by Silverstein for Christmas over 50 years ago---what a mind.
      October 1, 2019 3:28 PM MDT

• I loved it when I was a kid.
      October 1, 2019 4:21 PM MDT

Wow! I had no idea!
      October 1, 2019 6:45 PM MDT

Don't Take Your Guns to Town

October 1, 2019 2:22 PM MDT

• Early one morning while making the rounds
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down
    I went right home and I went to bed
    I stuck that loving 44 beneath my head