Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Military » If we are the most powerful country in the world? How come we haven't won a WAR since the 1940's? Anyone but me notice that?

If we are the most powerful country in the world? How come we haven't won a WAR since the 1940's? Anyone but me notice that?

Posted - October 8, 2019

Responses

No one wanna mess with the USA. Hitler learnt it after his conquering madness ended up pretty boldly.
      October 11, 2019 9:30 PM MDT

When the USA helped to win World War II for the Allies, it succeeded because it came in late, after Europe had already exhausted all its resources and Hitler was already overextended and badly damaged. It meant America only had to finish him off with relatively little cost. It was an easy job.

The power of the USA is in its wealth, size of the population, resources, and armaments.
    But it's not very good at strategy.
    It usually picks wars that are impossible to win and often makes the situation in that country far worse.

An exception is the war on IS. The U.S. has won ~ has temporarily put the Islamic State into retreat and hiding.
    But now that the U.S. has pulled back, the fundamentalists will probably start to regroup, rebuild, and change some of their tactics and goals.
    They won't be defeated 'til they no longer exist, or until they become sick of war, death and the costs.
      October 12, 2019 4:27 AM MDT

Oh contraire, it was not an easy job. D-Day was no cakewalk, and it took over 3 years of hell and hundreds of thousands of brave men‘s lives to get to Berlin. My grandfather would take great issue with your claim here. 

By the time Hitler stupidly turned east to attack Russia on the doorstep of winter, the Nazis controlled nearly every inch of continental Europe west of there, were bombing the UK nightly, and their U-boats were peering into NYC.
    Absent US intervention, Europe is Germany. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 12, 2019 8:08 PM MDT
      October 12, 2019 6:58 AM MDT