Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » What kinds of humour do you enjoy most? And what kinds do you find unfunny?

What kinds of humour do you enjoy most? And what kinds do you find unfunny?

Posted - October 26, 2019

Responses

I can't stand goof.  Movies like Airplane are what I call goof(y). I like comedy that is intelligent and clean.  Generally, if it's intelligent it isn't offensive.....that doesn't mean it can't be a little colorful.   
      October 26, 2019 5:52 PM MDT

Same.
    I avoid films like Ghosbusters.
    I find a film like Jim Carey's Liar Liar, while a bit goofy at times, worth it for the underlying message.
    I think Emma Thompson's a great comedian, especially in films like Nanny McFee, Saving Mr Banks. In her 2003 "Wit", she's funny, intelligent and heartbreaking as an English professor who filters her own dying of cancer through the disciplines of the poetry she loves.
      October 26, 2019 6:28 PM MDT

Actually I quite like Ghostbusters.  But was not funny! Those others never heard of. 
      October 26, 2019 7:51 PM MDT

Anything and everything , nothing to crass and one has to be tactful at times to..... 
    Humour that is meant to hurt is not funny....no subject is taboo within reason.  :)  
      October 26, 2019 5:59 PM MDT

I agree.
    I often enjoy your sense of humour. :)
      October 26, 2019 6:00 PM MDT

Thank you bookworm.....please keep well  away from  my books if you ever drop over for a visit....
    There is no wriggle room for you with my request either.....:)D 
      October 26, 2019 6:15 PM MDT

Ah, you guessed it.
    if you have a good book collection and I was your houseguest, after dinner and conversation, and after you'd gone off to bed, I'd have loved nothing better that to burrow through your books. ;)
    And of course, I'd return the favours if you came to visit us here in the rural subtropics of Australia.
      October 26, 2019 8:04 PM MDT

But can't help feeling that people who are always making light are trying to hide behind that. Like they are not comfortable with themselves.  I guess because I tend to be serious most of the time.  That is how I feel the most comfortable being. 
      October 26, 2019 7:54 PM MDT

You and I share seriousness in common.

I think there are some people who use humour as a shield against intimacy,
    or sometimes as a way to charm others,
    perhaps from a longing to be liked,
    perhaps to defuse tensions
    or perhaps to avoid facing and dealing with them.

But when there's humour here, I often see it as just the way some Muggers like to relax and turn off from their worries in their spare time.

There was a time, many years ago, when much of the humour seemed sarcastic - as though it was a national sport.
    I confess I feel much more comfortable here now that that tendency has mostly drifted away.
      October 26, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

My sentiments exactly. A lot of humor on the net is - you have to be to the manor born to appreciate it.  So much I read on here between young people - I guess they share a culture because they delight in one another's jokes which just make no sense to me. 

Don't care for it when some people make a joke of absolutely everything.  Like they are afraid of caring.

Yes takes all kinds and I no longer even expect to get the joke.  Like I tell people sometimes on here I guess I am the joke!
      October 26, 2019 8:07 PM MDT

I relate to what you say about young people's humour. It feels like they come from an alien world that I know nothing about.
    I guess that means I'm growing old but at 63 feels too soon to accept it.

When you sometimes say "I guess I am the joke", I beg to differ. It's okay for us all to have different senses of humour. Just because we're serious or don't get it, doesn't mean we deserve to be a joke, or treated as one.

I hope you're not feeling a bit down... are you?

October 26, 2019 8:25 PM MDT

Just annoyed as usual on here.  I should know better!  I try to make good and sometimes even thoughtful answers to questions on here and then I am told the question was a joke and why would I take it seriously?  

I turn (gulp) 62 this week.  I don't recall that we had our own language apart from our elders when we were young.  We acted differently and different things motivated us but I don't recall we had special inside humor that went over the heads of all others. 
      October 27, 2019 7:39 PM MDT

I hate long-winded jokes.  I don't have the patience for a bad joke teller.  And anyone who cannot get a laugh with one line has lost my interest.
      October 26, 2019 6:25 PM MDT

You shouldn't be doing lines.....do it for long enough and your nose can rot and drop off.....how wood you smell then...:( 
      October 26, 2019 7:01 PM MDT

Oh, dear.  I'm a goner. :(
      October 26, 2019 8:26 PM MDT

Well things that are funny! So much that passes for humor seems to me embarrassing or a waste of time. Jokes I don't much care for though often their success seems to be all in the telling. The most funny things are often not meant as humor at all but are very funny.  For instance at a salad bad seeing a tray with only arugula identified as "vegan arugula" - I laugh  just thinking of that. My own humor tends to be on the very dry side but I find funny things constantly in life - things which make me chuckle or laugh out loud.  Whether meant as humor or not. 

A person on this site often asks questions and then writes "humorous answers please" - which is just - no way am I able to be humorous on cue.  And makes me think they expect way too much from me.  I am pretty much a serious, earnest person but even being so I am led to much that is humorous or at least strikes me as funny.  Which is all really that matters to me because mostly what the "crowd" finds as "funny" is just not at all to me. 
      October 26, 2019 6:26 PM MDT

I know a crowd that does not see the humor in the funniest thing of all.  This joke of a Dictator.  

This is so funny how he kills our allies and expects praise for it.

And the dead kid in the water with her dad at the border?  Hilarious.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 26, 2019 6:31 PM MDT
      October 26, 2019 6:28 PM MDT

Ditto. :)
      October 26, 2019 8:27 PM MDT

I have particular taste in humor, usually thoughtful anecdotes and situational comedy. I find ‘The Simpsons‘ enjoyable.  

Can’t stand just plain stupid people ”comedy”; like anything Will Farrell has ever done.  Also toilet humor, or stand-up routines where every other word is MF’er (Katt Williams comes to mind). 

October 26, 2019 7:38 PM MDT

I seriously don't like humour of any sort.....if I'm being honest ,I actually simply love it.....:( 
      October 26, 2019 8:18 PM MDT

• I often gravitate toward the highly absurd or outlandish.  I seem to feel a certain kinship with wacky and whimsical as though they are close and possibly inbred cousins.  I like my humor served with a modicum of intelligence but certainly not so much as to distort the sweet taste of hearty laughter.  I usually find the more base American style humor as serving the lowest common denominator and at the risk of sounding of silly snobbery my funny bone is more often tickled by a British take on comedic efforts.  They seem to have a clever knack for finding perfect balance on the fulcrum between irreverence and class.  No matter what the flavor though, laughter is the best medicine and healthy doses should be administered daily.
      October 26, 2019 8:17 PM MDT

Ditto.
    That's exactly what tickles me too.
    Only wish I could generate it a bit more often than I do.
      October 26, 2019 8:29 PM MDT