Active Now

Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Other than getting short-term attention of what long-term value is protesting the National Anthem and refusing to say The Pledge of Allegiance? Why?

Other than getting short-term attention of what long-term value is protesting the National Anthem and refusing to say The Pledge of Allegiance? Why?

Posted - September 14, 2016

Responses

There are different reasons not to stand during the singing about "Stars Spangled Banner" or the Pledge of Alligiance.
    1. Some religions do not believe in doing this. It is against their religion.
    2. Sports figures use events to protest whatever issues they support. African American sports figures have used such measures against racism and/or injustice.
    3. These acts of public figures do get attention, but not the religious part. People in education do know about it because they deal with it in schools.
      September 14, 2016 5:49 AM MDT

I'm not a fan of that. I would never do that Margaret. Dishonor the flag or the pledge or the National Anthem. But I am an old lady with old-fashioned ideas about what is appropriate and what is not. What is polite/respectful and what is not.  How does protesting like that do anything about the people who committed the injustices? It doesn't. If you can't directly confront the source of the problem making such gestures are empty in my opinion. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)

September 14, 2016 6:38 AM MDT