Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Rising sea levels are allegedly much much worse than prior predictions. D'ya live at the beach? How long before you're underwater?

Rising sea levels are allegedly much much worse than prior predictions. D'ya live at the beach? How long before you're underwater?

Posted - November 2, 2019

Responses

It would depend how high above the sea you are, not how far back from it; but the difficulty is that rising sea-levels mean the coast becomes eroded back more rapidly, in a sort of balancing act. 

In some places, including I think one or two parts of Eastern England, the authorities have had to accept that "managed retreat" is the only sensible option, even without any significant sea-level rise, because the cliffs are not very high but are of very soft, friable rocks. There comes a point where building sea-defences only delays the inevitable.

If you live on a coast with high cliffs in very strong rocks, the rising sea would take a very long time to cut the cliff back, so would affect mainly only those buildings or installations (harbours etc.) actually below the cliffs.

If you live on an estuary backed by very low land, the sea might not reach that flood-plain, but because the overall base-level has risen the mean level of the river rises to compensate, so riverine flooding becomes more frequent.
      November 3, 2019 2:44 PM MST

Thank you for a thoughtful and informative reply Durdle. There are some areas where building homes seems rather foolish...like playing Russian Roulette. Eventually you will find the chamber with the bullet if you keep playing. Why do folks rebuild in areas that were devastated by the location?  I know living in view of water is beautiful and desirable. But if it is lower than sea level? Seriously? On the other hand would I want to leave an area where I've always lived where all my memories are? I don't know. I haven't faced that situation and I feel so bad for those who do. We need to be able to control our environment. On a very grand scale. How to effect that I have no idea. But maybe one day someone will figger it out! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 4, 2019 2:16 AM MST
      November 4, 2019 2:15 AM MST