Discussion » Questions » Fashion » GENERALLY* speaking, I think the untucked dress shirt is a sloppy look, so I don’t buy into the craze for a new line of them being pushed as

GENERALLY* speaking, I think the untucked dress shirt is a sloppy look, so I don’t buy into the craze for a new line of them being pushed as

a supposed relief from the so-called “rigidness” of wearing a shirt tucked in.  Some of you may have seen the advertising campaign for Untucked, a product line for men. Bear in mind that I am not referring to casual shirts, athletic shirts, etc. A business setting, a formal event, a situation where that requires a more impressive demeanor than average, all may call for a shirt to be tucked in. If a man wants to display how laid back or relaxed or cool or hip or groovy or with-it he is, then an untucked shirt may be wholly appropriate, fine.  Conversely, when the goal is presenting oneself in a tidy, gentlemanly, respectful manner, then tucking in the shirt is not the end of the world. 

What‘s your take on the issue?

[You think this is a bad rant, don’t even get get me started on the five-o’clock-shadow trend. Grrrrrr.]

*Capitalization is for emphasis. 
~

Posted - November 2, 2019

Responses

Regardless of what some feel is a new trend, untucked shirts in a formal or business environment display a lack of couth and etiquette.
    On the same subject...  many guys believe that jeans and/or sneakers and t-shirts are business-casual. They are not.

November 2, 2019 9:31 PM MDT

It appears that you and I agree on this. 

~
      November 2, 2019 9:33 PM MDT

Do not even get me started on this (Sockless)

Or this if you are you are over the age of 10.  NO!

This post was edited by Jon at November 3, 2019 10:55 AM MST
      November 2, 2019 9:55 PM MDT

Yes, it is now confirmed: you and I agree 100% on these matters. 
    ~
      November 2, 2019 9:56 PM MDT

• Dress slacks and no socks makes one look.like a sociopath.
      November 2, 2019 10:14 PM MDT

Exactly, among many other things. it looks like total sh*t
      November 2, 2019 10:21 PM MDT

Not to mention pants that look as though they've been outgrown!
      November 3, 2019 8:14 AM MST

Hah!  It looks so badddddddddddddd! lol
    That's exactly what it looks like
      November 3, 2019 1:48 PM MST

I'm with ya, buddy.

November 2, 2019 9:56 PM MDT

November 2, 2019 9:57 PM MDT

I think I need to add that from approximately age 9, when I first realized that I was not cool, I have never made the attempt to be so. 
    ~
      November 2, 2019 9:59 PM MDT

And that makes you supercool!!
      November 3, 2019 1:09 AM MDT

Slobby.
      November 3, 2019 10:56 AM MST

agree
      November 3, 2019 6:42 PM MST

• I totally get the problem you have with sloppy attire in the workplace.  Where I seem to be unable to decipher your fashion preference is in the wearing of a dress shirt un-tucked in a casual setting outside of the workplace.  Do you just find it unacceptable across the board in all venues and circumstances or only in a formal or business setting?
      November 2, 2019 10:13 PM MDT

No, no, no, no. I do not have a preference for it being worn untucked outside of the workplace; like I stated above, there are situations wherein I believe that tucked in is the only way to go. I used the examples of business, formal events, etc. I do not think a dress shirt should be worn at all in casual settings. If the mood, occasion or event is casual, then casual wear is what should be chosen. (For instance, I abhor the wearing of a sport coat or suit jacket over a t-shirt, even if it is the so-called “designer t-shirt”.  A t-shirt is a t-shirt, regardless of the name on the label or what’s being charged on the price tag.). Where I mentioned the instances where one might wear a shirt untucked, I was acquiescing to those people who prefer it, I was not advocating it as something I might do myself. I also stressed the difference between wearing a dress shirt and wearing other types of shirts, the former being tucked in while it was fine for the latter to be untucked. 

Thank you for pointing it out; I apologize for not having been clear in the first place. 
    ~
      November 3, 2019 6:47 AM MST

• Thank god I'm blue collar and this is all.over my head.
      November 2, 2019 10:13 PM MDT

I work at a law firm and if you would see how some of the younger associates come dressed to work, it would amaze you how unprofessional they look.  Even on a casual Friday, you should have some sense of what is appropriate.  Ripped jeans and a tee shirt is not "casual Friday" wear.  Not to be critical only of the men, let me tell you that there are at least half a dozen FAT women who insist on wearing leggings with crop tops.  No one needs to see all those rolls of flesh hanging over the tops of your leggings.  And ladies, if you insist on wearing open back shoes, for the love of all that is holy, WASH THE BOTTOMS OF YOUR FEET!
      November 3, 2019 8:18 AM MST

Are you trying to make us sick.
      November 3, 2019 10:59 AM MST

No, just being honest.
      November 3, 2019 1:22 PM MST