Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are any of you highbrow lowbrow? Fans of opera/ballet/theater/poetry AND all kinds of sporting events?

Are any of you highbrow lowbrow? Fans of opera/ballet/theater/poetry AND all kinds of sporting events?

Or are they mutually exclusive?

Are you one or the other but never both?

Posted - November 10, 2019

Responses

I am a fan of opera, art museums and art house films, but I am also a fan of baseball, and football to an extent. that divide also extends into film in general, where I enjoy Dirty Harry and John wick as much as I enjoy films like Synecdoche New York and the Holy Mountain.
      November 10, 2019 2:23 AM MST

Wow! I think you are VERY RARE m'dear. You just impressed the heck outta me. Seriously. I think achieving balance in life is an important goal and I doubt that many of us get there. But YOU? I have no idea if there are any others out there so well balanced in terms of interests as you are. Did you ever participate in any sports or have you always "just" been a fan? I think your moniker is very odd being as how you are not what it says you are. Might I ask WHY you chose it? Thank you for your reply sir (I'm not going to repeat your name cuz I think it would insult you) and Happy Sunday! :)
      November 10, 2019 2:36 AM MST

aw shucks you say the nicest things haha. Idk why I chose it, Im just a tad self deprecating I suppose. But yes I did play sports as a kid, I played little league baseball and I played high school golf. I also went out for football but I didn’t make the cut, I was very bad at remembering plays. but I also did theater in high school which was probably what I was best at, around the same time I started a club for film analysis too. I’m a regular renaissance man!

oh I forgot I was in band too, but I was in it for trombone which I was bad at, but I play piano and guitar which I’m good at. And in general I did well in writing/journalism and history, but very poorly in math and science. So lots of balance there haha This post was edited by bigloseridiotman at November 11, 2019 1:14 AM MST
      November 11, 2019 12:41 AM MST

Renaissance Man! That is a MUCH better moniker. And I wonder if there are more out there who are as gifted and interested in such a variety of activities or fewer as you these days? Of all the things you do is there one that stands out that you love most of all and best of all? May I ask what kind of job you have and how you chose THAT job particularly? think modesty about one's talents/abilities is extremely appealing. On the other hand truth in the advertising can't be beat. So if you show up again would you prefer Sir, Ren or RM? Apologies but I always calls 'em as I sees 'em. Thank you for your informative reply and Happy Monday! :)
      November 11, 2019 1:20 AM MST

You’re giving me a big head! Haha I work the night shift at a warehouse unloading freight, a pretty mundane blue collar job. I think the thing I stuck with the longest is music though, Im still trying to make a go of it. A lot of my friends are talented musicians or artists but most of us couldn't get our s**t together enough to make it happen. I think most people have the same story.
      November 11, 2019 3:50 PM MST

I always say exactly what I think. I have very few brakes. I mean why just talk about things/people  that drive me bonkers? I have to offset it by talking about things/people that I find very pleasing otherwise I'm not being fair and I try to be that. Don't always succeed. What folks do to earn a living isn't ever all anyone is. I bet you don't have to go to the gym to exercise though which is a plus. I  mean I know they have those huge machines to lift up pallates (sp?) to the tops of shelves but still it ain't for wimps for sure. For me i started out with a Liberal Arts major (junior college), became a secretary and ended up an internal auditor which I loved. What my dream job would have been had I been a genius? Quantum physics. No joke. I have more than a dozen books on the subject written for lay people and I don't understand everything of course but if there is news about black holes or event horizons or quantum entanglement I'm there reading about it. Next lifetime maybe! I don't know yet whether the lives we lead are mapped out for us in an elsewhere unknown to us or if we really do have choices. It's moot in any case. Thank you for your reply RM and Happy Tuesday! :)
      November 12, 2019 2:50 AM MST

Oh cool! Did you hear about the recent theory that the ninth planet some scientists suspect is still undiscovered might actually be a bowling ball sized black hole? If it turned out there was a tiny black hole orbiting our sun I would really have to start living life to the fullest because that is a terrifying thought
      November 21, 2019 5:58 PM MST

There is so much space debris I wonder why more heavenly stuff doesn't strike us. I wonder how long a human would last once sucked into a black hole? Would we implode/explode/disintegrate? I think I'm gonna ask about that RM (remember you are Renaissance Man to me m'dear). There are some really smart knowledgeable folks on Answermug who might know. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to ya! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 23, 2019 4:28 AM MST
      November 22, 2019 1:20 AM MST

I sang opera and boxed flyweight, and I'm a fan of both Tim Tszyu and Amira Willighagen. Tim punching someone in the head is about as lowbrow as you can get, and Amira has the voice of an angel to which, approaching maturity, she has added power and control. They are not mutually exclusive by any means.
      November 11, 2019 12:59 AM MST

I guess humans are capable of many contradictions aren't they R? From angel to devil and in-between. We have secret vices that we don't share because we don't want to be ridiculed. Just between you and me...sometimes I watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Don't tell a soul. This stays between the two of us. Why? Well you know I'm of Armenian descent and their father Robert was Armenian. It's why I like Cher (Cherilyn Sarkisian) and the actor Mike Connors and the author William Saroyan and the actor Richard Bakalyan. There aren't that many of us in the world you know so I am drawn to those who achieve fame. In the case of the Kardashians it's more notoriety but even so I don't hate them nor do I look down on them. No one is perfect! They had one episode where they visited Armenia and some holy sites which amazed me. My mom was born in Amasya, Armenia. I'll never go to Armenia but the Kardashians did and visited a site dedicated to e those who died in the Armenian genocide at the hands of the Turks. You see there is a serious side to them. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday. I never got why men would want to punch and be punched. It seems like a very hard way to live a life and potentially dangerous. I don't get why guys ride those bulls to see how long they can stay on them before they get flung off. Or run with bulls in Pamplona? Different strokes! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 11, 2019 1:32 AM MST
      November 11, 2019 1:30 AM MST

Have you heard Amira? Google her and do your ears a favour. Glorious voice and still a kid.
      November 11, 2019 6:41 PM MST

No I haven't R but I shall Google her. I seem to lead such a sheltered life. There is more and more I don't know as I get older. I wish it were the other around. Sheesh. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      November 12, 2019 2:52 AM MST