Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Environment » For those who recycle, do you ever have trouble finding and/or deciphering the "recycle number in the triangle"?

For those who recycle, do you ever have trouble finding and/or deciphering the "recycle number in the triangle"?

I find myself sometimes standing there looking all over the product. And sometimes when i find the triangle, I can't decipher the number itself.
:)

Image result for recycle numbers on plastic

Posted - November 14, 2019

Responses

No. I just recycle all glass, metal, and plastic.
      November 14, 2019 8:31 AM MST

Our city curbside recycling pickup accepts only plastics with numbers 1 and 2 (and plastics with no numbers) for plastic that's why I look. 

Anything not 1 or 2 I put in a bag by itself and take it elsewhere.

All the other papers/aluminum/metal/cardboard/etc have to all be separated, too.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 14, 2019 9:29 AM MST
      November 14, 2019 8:40 AM MST

That's too much work for me. I just put all glass, metal, and plastic in one bag and paper in another. Nobody's gone through the bags that I know of, except for bottle/can collectors scrounging for nickels.
      November 14, 2019 9:31 AM MST

I sort of agree about the extra work.
    And the space taken for the separate bags.
      November 14, 2019 9:49 AM MST

Not much recycling going on here.  I'm bad right now.  
      November 14, 2019 8:51 AM MST

I'd simply be happier with myself if I cleaned up my house.

But what am I doing now? I'm going to go clean out my junk drawer which includes all need info I need to keep, like repair bills, health-stuff papers a bit/ etc. Big woop because the house will look no cleaner when I'm done.
      November 14, 2019 9:16 AM MST

Yep - and it's not due to my eyesight.  Even using a powerful magnifying glass many are illegible.  Since they're now super picky here about what they will and won't accept, I just toss most plastics into the trash (lest the recycling gods smite me with a fine).
      November 14, 2019 9:06 AM MST

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has difficulty sometimes in reading the numbers!
      November 14, 2019 9:13 AM MST

Like Stu, I recycle glass, metal and plastics, but I also recycle newspapers and magazines.  They don't require us to recycle by number.
      November 14, 2019 9:28 AM MST

I do what you do, too.
      November 14, 2019 9:49 AM MST

• Numbers make me think math, and math makes me think murder.  So yes, and UGH!

November 14, 2019 9:53 AM MST

Ha!
      November 14, 2019 10:23 AM MST

If it has a recycling ('orrible word') symbol and number I recycle it - but I don't look at the number.

Our household waste-collection system is divided into three categories and bins: 1). Food Waste, 2) General, inorganic, landfill refuse not salvageable), 3) Recyclable glass, metals and paper / cardboard. I think the "metals" cover just steel and aluminium, i.e., food "tins"; but these are really only what most households produce in any significant quantity.

We don't seem to need know the type of material as long as it has that triangle, though this can lead to problems at the refiners' end of things. Generally now though, the container label carries advice on what is or is  not, salvageable about it. Or you can ask the relevant Council department's advice.

Anything else, including waste timber, bulkier metal items and garden refuse, you either take to the Council waste-collection yard and place it in the appropriate skip, or if non-ferrous metal and you have enough to make the exercise worthwhile, a scrap-yard. (Ferrous metals are usually so low in value you are lucky to be paid anything for them.)

Or for bulky items / volumes you can't move yourself, a properly, legally established and registered, waste-collection firm.  
      December 17, 2019 12:56 PM MST

Thanks, Durdle, that all makes sense.

For me, our city curbside recycling program only accepts numbers 1 and 2 as far as plastic, that's why I have to look for numbers on the plastics.

I only saw your answer just now, sorry so late.
      December 27, 2019 7:22 PM MST