Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » The YOUTH HAVE RISEN and are marching world-wide FOR CLIMATE CHANGE. They will vote NEXT. LOOK OUT GOP. LOOK OUT

The YOUTH HAVE RISEN and are marching world-wide FOR CLIMATE CHANGE. They will vote NEXT. LOOK OUT GOP. LOOK OUT

‘The youth have risen!’ Climate strikers storm the streets

CBC Kids News • Published March 22

We join kid protestors in Toronto as 1.6 million students around the world tell grown-ups to clean up their mess

“As Greta Thunberg said, we have not come here to beg politicians for change,” yelled Sophia Mathur, 11, from a podium in front of Queen’s Park, the Ontario legislature.

“We have come here to show them that change... is... coming!”

Sophia Mathur, 11, speaking in front of Queen’s Park

Sophia Mathur, 11, speaking in front of Queen’s Park in Toronto during a global student climate strike on March 15. (Joshua Ostroff/CBC)

Hundreds of student protesters in the Toronto crowd on this chilly Friday, March 15, cheered in return.

Similar scenes played out across Canada and around the world.

An estimated 150,000 climate strikers demonstrated in Montreal on March 15

An estimated 150,000 climate strikers demonstrated in Montreal on March 15. (Greenpeace/Twitter)

An estimated 1.6 million kids in more than 120 countries joined the latest, and largest, Fridays for Future climate strike.

This mass movement was inspired by a single girl — Greta Thunberg, recently nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

The 16-year-old from Sweden began her strike last August, refusing to attend school on Fridays if grown-ups refused to do more to address climate change.

Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old Swede who started the climate-strike movement last summer, speaking at a protest in Hamburg, Germany on March

Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old Swede who started the climate-strike movement last summer, speaking at a protest in Hamburg, Germany on March 1. (Axel Heimken/Getty)

Thunberg was soon joined by thousands of other kids sharing her concerns after her YouTube videos went viral, including speeches she made in front of world leaders.

Thunberg accused adults of “stealing” kids’ futures.

“I don't want you to be hopeful, I want you to panic,” she said. “And then I want you to act.”

Mathur came across Thunberg’s videos from her Sudbury home last fall and, on November 2, believes she became Canada’s first climate striker.

Sophia Mathur climate-striking in Sudbury, Ont., on Dec 7, 2018

Sophia Mathur, 11, climate-striking in Sudbury, Ont., on Dec. 7, 2018. (Sophia Mathur/Twitter)

“When I heard what Greta said, it empowered me because she just has all the perfect words,” said Mathur at the Fridays for Future GTA prep session before the March 15 protest.

“She said adults weren't doing enough for climate change. So I decided we need to do something.”

Similarly inspired, Zoe Keary-Matzner, 12, has been helping lead Friday strikes in Toronto.

She even got in the news for issuing late slips to Ontario Premier Doug Ford and his environment minister because “they’re late on climate action.”

Zoe Keary-Matzner, 12, in the striped sweater, at a Queen’s Park press conference

Zoe Keary-Matzner, 12, in the striped sweater, at a Queen’s Park press conference where she issued Premier Doug Ford a late slip for Ontario’s climate change policies. (FridaysForFutureGTA/Facebook)

“It's important that kids take the lead because we can't vote,” Keary-Matzner said. “The grown-ups are deciding the future for us, which is not fair.”

These kids say they’re fed up with adult indifference, and don’t buy the economic argument for lack of action.

“A lot of people are like, 'What about the people in the oil industry and [other] industries?” said Serafina Bennett, nine. “Well, it doesn’t really matter what job you have if you’re dead.”

Serafina Bennett and her fellow climate-strikers arrive at their Queen's Park protest on March 15. (Joshua Ostroff/CBC)

Serafina Bennett and her fellow climate-strikers arrive at their Queen's Park proteston March 15. (Joshua Ostroff/CBC)

Back at the protest, Mathur ended her speech with a crowd chant, summing up how a million climate-striking kids have responded to this crisis.

“The youth have risen! The youth have risen! The youth have risen!”

A national climate strike in Canada is planned for May 3, and a second global strike on May 24.

Posted - November 15, 2019

Responses

And I laugh to myself at the men and the ladies who never conceived of those billion dollar babies. 3 cheers to the youth of the World coming together to improve the World. Cheers and happy weekend!
      November 15, 2019 11:27 AM MST

These KIDS are going to be voters in 20/20.  OF COURSE TRUMP HAS NO IDEA WHAT THAT WILL MEAN.  OF COURSE.

He cannot even stop his former friends from turning against him and ruining his life, because he HAS TO FIRE EVERYONE.  So, imagine him preparing for the inevitability that he could be VOTED OUT OF OFFICE.  He thinks the GOP will save his fat rear.
      November 15, 2019 11:35 AM MST

Young people are almost always liberal.  As they grown and learn most politicians are full of it and pay attention to which party stands for what most become conservative. 
      November 15, 2019 11:36 AM MST

"If you're not a liberal when young, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative when older, you have no brain."

- Winston Churchill (perhaps falsely attributed) and others

Furthermore, children don't vote. And climate change is not a partisan issue anyway. With you being so sure that you have all the answers and facts, why should anyone bother to read, watch, or listen to the news?
    This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at November 15, 2019 11:43 AM MST
      November 15, 2019 11:39 AM MST

if you change what you FELT AS A YOUTH AND BECOME A HARD ASS?  You have NO SOUL.

DO NOT use CHURCHILL's words to mean what you are pulling.  CHURCHILL WOULD NEVER BACK A LYING WORD TRUMP HAS UTTERED.  HOW DARE YOU THINK THAT CHURCHILL WOULD BACK ANYTHING THIS BUM HAS TRIED.  PICTURE WINSTON CHURCHILL PAYING DAVID PECKER A DIME.  FOR STARTERS.  
      November 15, 2019 11:42 AM MST

Climate change is bigger than Trump. Why do you keep obsessing about him? It just makes him bigger than life in your mind and won't make him go away. You're not helping anyone. You're only hurting yourself.
      November 15, 2019 11:48 AM MST

Furthermore children don't vote.  Grow a brain.  These KIDS are kids who are voting age in 20/20.   That is who I am talking about.  Not the freshman high schoolers.  There are 17-year olds and TONS of them that will not only MARCH all over the state they are living in, but will also march in WASHINGTON and guess what?  If they have that energy?  They are gonna go out and vote.  

So, why do you always try and dummy yourself down and act like you cannot see what the person really is saying?  Or are you really not pretending?  I still cannot figure that one out.  I think you want attention.

https://youtu.be/nfs8NYg7yQM This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 15, 2019 11:52 AM MST
      November 15, 2019 11:50 AM MST

20/20 2020. Why do YOU fail to realize that climate change is bigger than Trump and is not a partisan issue? You make everything about Trump and apparently are POed at the whole world. I know, Republicans are all corrupt and evil and Democrats are all knights in shining armor. How did you get to be so naive? NEWSFLASH: Climate change will remain an issue no matter who is elected next year and which party controls Congress.
      November 15, 2019 11:59 AM MST

You fail to realize the DAMAGE he is doing. That is why you FAIL the answer. NOT RESPONDING. People like YOU and WALT do not make any difference ever.  That attitude is what allowed TRUMP in the first place. HE HAS A FOLLOWING THEY BELIEVE HIM HE SAYS THE GREEN NEW DEAL IS ABOUT WINDMILLS CAUSING CANCER.  There are idiots who back this crap and they vote for idiots who try and pander to this nonsense. TRUMP IS PROMOTING the idea that there is no global warming and he will not give one dime towards the effort to thwart anything that BIG MONEY is corrupting. ARE YOU REALLY THIS OUT OF TOUCH?  REALLY?  I'd be ashamed to talk to me.  At least you should have the decency to ask me how to learn the TRUTH instead of trying to pose some silly argument about TRUMP making no difference.  

You sound VERY WRONG STUART. VERY WRONG.
      November 15, 2019 12:03 PM MST

And you sound very angry at the world. Not only that, you refuse to consider reason. Hasn't it occurred to you that climate change was happening before Trump? Electing a Democrat won't make it go away. But what's the point? You have your mind made up and won't listen to anyone else except, perhaps, Rosie.
      November 15, 2019 12:33 PM MST

I don't understand how refusing to go to school "hurts" anybody other than the student.
    It has no bearing whatsoever on politics - or even school funding (which would be noticed by school administrators).

Protesting would have more weight, if they did it during an actual government meeting.
    Or better yet - go to a city council meeting (or legislative meeting) and put forth actual ideas on how to change things.
    Which brings up the question - how many of these students have put forth plans for their schools to reduce pollution?
    How many of their schools are still using literal tons of paper and plastic?  What about all the pollution from school buses, and students driving cars to school-provided parking lots?

How many of them are wearing clothes that contain plastics?
    Or launder their clothing with chemicals that leach into the environment?

It's all well and good to say you're concerned about the environment.
    But as soon as you start blaming others, when you aren't doing any real work, you lose credibility.
      November 15, 2019 11:57 AM MST

I cannot answer this.  I respect you as a friend too much.  You did not just say that first sentence. I AM DONE.  
      November 15, 2019 11:58 AM MST