Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Have you heard about the changes coming to Utube January 1, 2020?

Have you heard about the changes coming to Utube January 1, 2020?

Do you think the new COPPA law taking effect in 2020 will cause the end of Utube's popularity?  

Posted - November 25, 2019

Responses

First of all it is YOUTUBE not UTUBE.

And I have no idea what you are talking about. What is a COPPA Law?   Try explaining that?   You tube is continually changing their rules  

I HAVE TAKEN THE LAST SENTENCE DOWN AS IT SEEMS TO HAVE OFFENDED SPUNKY SENIOR WHO THINKS I AM BEING VERY RUDE TO MORNING PERSON.  

I WAS TOO HARSH IT SEEMS.  

i AM SO SORRY.  i MEAN IT.  I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HER DEFENDING TRUMP AND I TOOK IT OUT ON HER MILDLY.  APPARENTLY SPUNKY WAS OFFENDED.    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 25, 2019 8:31 AM MST
      November 25, 2019 7:29 AM MST

• YouTube was in some.legal hot water over its targeted advertising due to a 90's law about advertising on the internet to children. 

Since YouTube didn't have parents written consent to collect data and serve targeted ads to children under 13 they were violating COPPA law.   Their defense was that YouTube requires member to be 13 in order to have an account.  Which would have protected them. However YouTube was found to be using there children ownership numbers as a selling point for ad space and claiming how much influence they have from there children's content.

So YouTube announced a new policy that of your channel features children's content or features content that isn't targeted to children but appeals to them,  that you will have to move to YouTube kids or risk having your ad revenue removed.  Thing is what they defined as possibly appealing to children was very broad and arbitrary.   So many chicken littles claimed this will.kill YouTube..   However there has been an agreement and this has been settled.

Personally I thought it would make YouTube better by removing the endless stream if mindless and often times creepy children's content,   mindless adult channels that only 10 year olds watch, and all the retarded gaming let's play channels that flood the site and end up on suggestions .   It would have douched all the mindless and retarded content that while profitable,  lowers the quality and the brand.
      November 25, 2019 7:48 AM MST

You say it would have.  Does that mean that it isn't going to happen? 
      November 25, 2019 7:50 AM MST

• Apparently YouTube and the FCC( or whatever in government)  reached a conclusion and  agreement on some middle ground.
      November 25, 2019 7:53 AM MST

Ok.  Tell Morning PERSON.  LOL 
      November 25, 2019 7:54 AM MST

Try the decaf.
      November 25, 2019 7:52 AM MST

Oh no. (I am not drinking coffee) 
      November 25, 2019 7:53 AM MST

Well then, how about cutting back on whatever has you jumping down Morning Person's throat.  Not nice.
      November 25, 2019 8:00 AM MST

I guess I am sick to death of HE'S MY PRESIDENT.  You're right.    This has nothing to do with that.  

But in my defense?  UTUBE? is in no danger at all of course.    

November 25, 2019 8:08 AM MST

Then just say that.  You do a lot of research on line.  All you had to do was look up COPPA instead of blasting the poster.  
      November 25, 2019 8:14 AM MST

If you want to see me agree with you?  OK.  I'll just say that.  Are we done now? 
      November 25, 2019 8:16 AM MST

You know, I'm not sure what has a hair up your behind today, but you know me well enough to know that I don't take anyone's crap.  You've been on a tear since last week and getting less and less civil.  Are you trying to get a time out?  
      November 25, 2019 8:18 AM MST

Maybe.  Maybe you need a time out from me.  

You can give me crap anytime and I will answer you just like I am now.   If you are going to read other people and my answers to them, read WHY I am answering them that way. I think it is best if you see how I treat you.  If I am snotty to YOU?  Then you have a case. I treat people like they treat me.  And I am oftentimes very nice to people who are rude to me.  So, maybe you should e be a mod.  You can have the pleasure of throwing me off for good maybe.  You can take over and make this ANSWER NICE. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 25, 2019 8:28 AM MST
      November 25, 2019 8:27 AM MST

I don't like bullying and you have gone after someone who is relatively new to the site, so I'm standing up for that person.  You can dish out your snark to me, but you may as well know that it has no effect on me.  You've been on a tear for some time now.  Too bad the font size doesn't go larger than 48.  
      November 25, 2019 9:51 AM MST

• All the crap that was in jeopardy of being removed or demonized is the type of content YouTube would be better without anyway.   

Oh no! No more  Cosplay,  lets play, and surprise egg openings.
      November 25, 2019 7:50 AM MST

Ok I understand that, but why are you saying it like it is not going to happen?  Is it?  Morning Person said it is going to happen.  
      November 25, 2019 7:52 AM MST

I have already seen some odd changes. I hope they don't screw it up so that I can't get music anymore. That is my main source. This post was edited by Element 99 at November 25, 2019 3:00 PM MST
      November 25, 2019 9:59 AM MST

Mike Bloomberg is running. AN HONEST BILLIONAIRE. I am sure he will fix all of the nation's problems, I'm sure.
      November 25, 2019 10:06 AM MST

I doubt it will affect YouTube's profits.

Variety writes:
    "YouTube, starting this month, is requiring all creators, regardless of location and whether or not they produce content intended for children, to designate whether their videos are made for kids."

I think that's a good thing. Every professional writer is aware that their writing only works if it reaches the minds and hearts of its audience. Writing is always targeted. Therefore it's no problem for a writer to identify when something is written for readers under or over 13 years old.
    There's a distinct shift in how the brain works at about 12 years of age. Kids go from very concrete thinking with little capacity to understand exceptions and variables, to being able to understand complex concepts, ambiguities and moral conundrums. This shift is what is necessary to ensure that adult material doesn't have negative effects. And here I don't just mean sexual or romantic topics; issues of violence, drugs and crime are just as important.

Variety further writes, "The change is the result of YouTube’s $170 million settlement with the FTC and the New York Attorney General for alleged violations of the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). The law prohibits internet companies from collecting data from kids 13 and under — and YouTube was accused of violating that law.

YouTube is putting the onus on creators to comply with COPPA: “If you fail to set your audience accurately, you may face compliance issues with the FTC or other authorities, and we may take action on your YouTube account,” according to YouTube’s help-center document on the topic."

I think this is the correct and necessary way to go. YouTube is highly automated. It takes a human to properly understand content and the writer or creator is the person who knows the work best.

November 25, 2019 5:10 PM MST