Discussion » Questions » Communication » When a Pol says "the American people want" do they speak for you if you are an American? How do they know what YOU want? Did they ever ask YOU directly?

When a Pol says "the American people want" do they speak for you if you are an American? How do they know what YOU want? Did they ever ask YOU directly?

Posted - September 16, 2016

Responses

That's why I don't put much faith in polls.

They ask a certain number of people to answer a poll and assume everyone else agrees with it.

And no I have never been asked to vote on a poll.

September 17, 2016 10:58 AM MDT

Ditto here m'dear.  Anyone can say anything about anything. Doesn't mean it is true. Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom! :)

September 18, 2016 4:17 AM MDT

I'm not American but I know what you mean - we see plenty of similar examples in the UK!

It's an old dodge, well-used by advertisers ("77.77% of cats prefer Puss-Munch" - how do they know and over what do the animals prefer it?). Its relatives include a mythical beast called "the court of public opinion" sometimes seen in the more sensationalist newspapers, usually in a self-righteous editorial.

Most of these statements come from rather crude statistics flawed by small sample size, poor methods, etc. but even if the study itself was exemplary the results can be skewed by wilfully or ignorantly selective reporting.
      October 21, 2016 9:29 AM MDT