Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Why in all violent American films when a car gets hot wired and Jacked does the crim manage to drive the car with the steering lock engauged

Why in all violent American films when a car gets hot wired and Jacked does the crim manage to drive the car with the steering lock engauged

More so you can't just chop through wires and start modern cars that way....
Most all modern cars in England can be drove away in second just by using a laptop and blue tooth....keys it seems and not needed any more.....I wonder why they choose to make cars these days so easy to steal..? 

Posted - November 30, 2019

Responses

I knew a way to start a car using a screw drive under the hood (bonnet). That was when cars didn't have steering wheel locks.
      November 30, 2019 5:23 PM MST

At what time in your life did you need that skill?
    And why?
    ;)
      November 30, 2019 5:46 PM MST

Never...somebody just showed me. I did have a car jacked about 20 years ago, They broke the plastic of the steering column and used a screwdriver to start it by pulling the switch. I got a knock on the door from the police about 0300, telling me they had found my car. They gave me a ride...it was a few blocks away. One of them showed me how to stop and start it. I never did get it fixed.
      November 30, 2019 6:17 PM MST

Never got it fixed! Giggling...
    So you got heaps of practice every time you hot-wired your own car!
    I like that. Tickles my funny bone.
      November 30, 2019 6:33 PM MST

Actually, in this case, I only had to pull back a switch on the steering column. The under the bonnet is another method a mechanic showed me, but I never had to use it.
      November 30, 2019 6:37 PM MST

A peice of wire was all you needed.  More so if a car had a coil and points  and not electronic ignition .My dad had a V8 3.5 Rover SDI and he could get into it with a Lolly stick far quicker than using the key...

My dads friend had a 1960's Bullit Mustang ....I drove it when I was about seventeen and that had two sets of points in its distributor ....I loved that car so much and my dad refused to buy it for me.....:(  
      November 30, 2019 6:20 PM MST

Wow...talking about that stuff gives a stirring in my loins. I had a 1965 Plymouth Satellite with a police special engine. Four barreled carb and dual points...which I had to replace every six months. A friend also had one and we would race down one of our main streets here. Great times.

November 30, 2019 6:43 PM MST

They call it a continuity error.
    Once you start looking, most films are riddled with them.

I spoke about it to a film editor once.
    She rolled her eyes and said she couldn't stand people who are so picky; if one tried to resolve every glitch, films would end up tediously long with finicky details.

Personally, I think that's just an excuse for laziness in attention to detail. (I didn't say that to her.)

In reality, cars are much harder to steal these days and the rate of car thefts has dropped dramatically, but
    writers ignore this because the trope of the chase has become a staple in the plot-crisis of almost every thriller.

Chases take infinite forms from an old Miss Marple toddling after a crippled crim,
    to leaping through wormholes with forms of transport that might never be invented.

This post was edited by inky at November 30, 2019 5:56 PM MST
      November 30, 2019 5:26 PM MST

I would make a great editor, except the filming would take forever. I am quite adept in finding errors in films/TV shows. It drives my wife nuts, although she has found a few herself.
      November 30, 2019 5:32 PM MST

Ari does the same.
    I quite enjoy it.
    We laugh where no laughter or humour was intended.
      November 30, 2019 5:44 PM MST

Eggcellent. Which is your favourite catch? While I was watching a TV series called "The Last Ship", depicting a US Naval vessel during a plague that wiped out much of humanity, they filmed inside the Captain's cabin where he had a collection of coffee mugs on shelves. No weigh. They would have all slipped off with one roll of the ship.
      November 30, 2019 5:49 PM MST

It all so silly if they don't get things right.....it's my bet it was all shot in a studio and not even on a real boaty floaty thingy :(
      November 30, 2019 5:54 PM MST

Of course.
      November 30, 2019 5:56 PM MST

Ha, ha! :D

I think my fave is in the James Bond film, Live and Let Die. There's a scene where a hovercraft and a jet-ski chase through the Bayou. At one point, the vehicles fly up a muddy ramp and sail right over the top of the sheriff and his car. The sheriff exclaims his astonishment - through gap teeth in his local accent - and it cracks me up every time.
      November 30, 2019 6:00 PM MST

In England ,the most modern new  expensive cars can be stolen in around ten seconds....your phone or keyless fob  locks and unlocks your car from a distance .....thieves with the right equipment which can be brought almost anywhere , with it they can unlock your car and start it from a distance and then hop in and drive away with it....

its happened ned to a few friends of mine and the police are well aware of it and it's almost impossible to stop....
    Once gone ,the insurance companies generally pay out within a week or so....

A steering lock needs to be broken if a car thief wants your car....that takes time and makes noise...it also does a lot of visible damage which Plod might see when driving by....
      November 30, 2019 6:07 PM MST

My car doesn't have all of that fancy crap. If they steal it, I don't care...just leave my handicapped tag for me.
      November 30, 2019 6:27 PM MST

I drive a Mercedes sports estate that still has a kind of key...it does forty odd miles to the gallon and is really really nippy....I still miss my Mercedes van type people carrier....that had such bad design features  and was almost irreparable...   
      November 30, 2019 6:45 PM MST

To me it just looks so silly...god knows what ideas it gives to kids...
    I had an old 190 diesel Mercedes and lost the keys....it took two hours to strip the steering lock off and then a bit more to put a new one back  on it....
      November 30, 2019 6:33 PM MST