Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » No matter the race you're in is it better to start off slow and come up fast or start out fast and try to maintain it?

No matter the race you're in is it better to start off slow and come up fast or start out fast and try to maintain it?

Foot races auto races horse races. Same or different strategy? I expect the length of the race and enducrance of the racers matter.

But if YOU were in a race what would be YOUR strategy?

Posted - December 1, 2019

Responses

Maybe better not to race at all. 
      December 1, 2019 10:40 AM MST

LOL. I see what you mean.  
      December 1, 2019 10:46 AM MST

You can't win if you don't play. Thank you for your reply og and Happy Monday to thee.
      December 2, 2019 1:43 AM MST

Be prepared and don't lose focus of the prize.

People who race generally do so in hopes of winning a prize.  For some that prize may be a trophy, or a large check, or perhaps a new car or all expense paid vacation.  For others, that prize may simply be to do better than before (I only ran 2.5k last time.  This time I'm going to run the entire 5k).  Each person who races has a different strategy - start out slow and burst of speed at the end, make sure I stay ahead of X (one of the other competitors), maintain an even pace, ... and so forth.  However, the best strategy is to be prepared and to keep one's focus on the prize.  No one who plans to run a 25k race spends the prior night drinking and partying.  No, they prepare themselves.  They practice, exercise, eat right and get proper rest daily for months in advance of the race, not on or few days before the race.  And while they're racing, they focus their minds on the prize.  That's their goal.  No matter how much pain they may be in, how many competitors pass them (or they pass up), they remain focused of obtaining that prize.  When they take their focus off that prize, the race suddenly become daunting -  There're too many competitors, I can never beat them all.  They are better than I am.  I ache, I can't possibly go on.  What am I even doing here?  What was I thinking?

December 1, 2019 11:28 AM MST

You emphasize PREPARATION and FOCUS.  Makes good sense. Have you ever run in a marathon? Are/were you a runner Shuhak? Thank you for your thoughtful and information-filled response. Sounds like you have personal experience with what it takes to race. :)
      December 1, 2019 11:40 AM MST

Me a runner?  No, no, no!  I just read a lot.
      December 1, 2019 12:02 PM MST

Hahahahaha. Funnee hunnee. Well I never raced but until I turned 50 I used to run. Not a bazillion miles but a couple. I felt good doing it but at one point my doc said my running days were over but I could FAST WALK. Tried it didn't like it. When you run there is a hardship point which once you pass you're "in the zone". It can be euphoric. I imagine it's kinda like skiers which I only tried twice because I probably would have crippled or killed myself on a third attempt. Is there something you get involved that makes you euphoric Shuhak? You know once I started reading a lot about quantum physics I entered a world of wonderment. I'm an avid and ardent appreciator to the extent that I can understand what I read. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 2, 2019 12:47 PM MST
      December 2, 2019 1:49 AM MST

This may sound weird, but I get euphoric when I write stories.  
      December 2, 2019 12:50 PM MST

I hated running, when in school PE.
    My strategy was just to finish by the end of class.

I normally walk fast, as my normal pace.

December 2, 2019 10:36 AM MST