Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Why doesn't the spellchecker correct "Lynyrd Skynyrd" to "Leonard Skinner"?

Why doesn't the spellchecker correct "Lynyrd Skynyrd" to "Leonard Skinner"?

That was the name of the bloke who inspired the legendary rock band's name, but the spellchecker thinks it should be "Lyndon Skyward". Who the heck is Lyndon Skyward?

Posted - September 16, 2016

Responses

• Spellchecker thinks rock 'n roll is the devil's music. 

September 16, 2016 9:55 AM MDT

September 16, 2016 1:59 PM MDT

• you have to teach your spellcheck/dictionary proper nouns. you'll likely find that it doesn't know your name either.

September 16, 2016 2:28 PM MDT

Spellchecker is a devil's invention itself. Lol:)

September 17, 2016 1:36 AM MDT

I didn't know it did that, Lucia. Why have you censored the word "count"? That's not an obscene word. It only becomes an obscene word if you miss the "o" out (accidentally or deliberately). Lol:)

September 17, 2016 1:38 AM MDT

According to spellchecker my screen name is supposed to be Ranker Helge or Tanker Helge. There are no Rolling Stones records with those names on the labels. In case you didn't know, Nanker Phelge was an early pseudonym used by the Rolling Stones on their own compositions. They stopped using the name in 1965.

One more thing. It does recognise Leonard Skinner's name when I spell it correctly. That means it must know he existed. Lol:)

September 17, 2016 1:41 AM MDT

• i told you it wouldn't recognize your name, Mr. Stones. ;-)

i might should have said it won't recognize irregular/uncommon proper pronouns. that would have been precisely what i meant. Lynyrd Skynyrd is an irregular/uncommon proper pronoun; Leonard Skinner is a common proper pronoun.

ps- thanks for the School of Rock history lesson on the Rolling Stones' early pseudonym. this bit is my 'something new i learned' today.

September 17, 2016 3:30 PM MDT

Three members of the Lynrd Skynyrd, AKA the Skynyrd band, died in a tragic plane crash on October 20, 1977 and that appeared to be the end of the band. It has been almost 39 years. Perhaps the persons behind the spell checker (Answermug spell checker? iPhone spell checker? Android spell checker? Some other spell checker?), who may actually be based in India, were not familiar with the Skynyrd band's notoriety so long ago.

Unusually, the plane crash was not 100% fatal as is often the case. Most passengers survived.

The band reunited in 1987 but apparently did not gain fame enough to overcome spell checker flags.

September 17, 2016 3:44 PM MDT

I know all about the plane tragedy, DTT, I have been a fan of the band for most of that time (I first bought one of their albums in 1978, a year after the crash occurred). Since it is well-documented fact that could be found in numerous music reference books long before the Internet existed, I don't think there is any excuse. For one thing, I don't think the people behind spellchecker were children at the time of its invention, so they are probably of a similar age to me, in which case of course they remember Lynyrd Skynyrd, even if only for the song "Freebird".

Another thing, since the Internet came into being it has been possible for us to unearth facts about events that happened decades ago, so that once someone who doesn't remember Lynyrd Skynyrd in their heyday hears a song of theirs and thinks "Wow, who is this? This is absolutely awesome, I must check it out!", off they go to Google it and lo and behold they have all the facts before their eyes as if by magic.

So, what was the point of your answer, DTT? Is there a point in there, or did you just post it because you wanted to answer but couldn't think of anything else to say?

September 17, 2016 6:15 PM MDT

"Lynyrd Skynyrd" may be "irregular" and "uncommon" spelling-wise, but the name is phonetically similar to the more "common" Leonard Skinner, isn't it?

Did you buy any Rolling Stones records when you were a kid, little queen? The first one I bought with the "Nanker Phelge" name on the label was this one:

The above record is in fact the B-side of the "Satisfaction" single, which was a monster hit and therefore a lot of people must have bought it. As far as I know, "The Spider And The Fly" was the last one to feature the "Nanker Phelge" credit.

September 17, 2016 6:21 PM MDT