Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Military » Did you know that until 2000, those discharged from the UK armed forces on sexuality grounds were also stripped of their medals?

Did you know that until 2000, those discharged from the UK armed forces on sexuality grounds were also stripped of their medals?

Was this also the case in other countries that had bans on gays in the military?

And would it have applied to combat and bravery medals, or just those for long service and good conduct?

I read this story in the press about a man with 18 years service in the Royal Navy - a Falklands War veteran - who was discharged in 1993 after admitting being bisexual and was forced to surrender his medal. The Ministry of Defence has now agreed to have it restored to him.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/11/war-hero-kicked-navy-bisexual-will-get-medals-back-11653363/

Posted - December 11, 2019

Responses

I'm learning about this story from you.  It is horrific.  These human beings are being treated as if they were serial killers or sex traffic molesting evil-doers.  They loved the same sex.  

We just love to conquer and divide when we are human beings refusing to evolve and operate on a higher level.  These cretins refuse to compromise with love.  It will end the planet some day.  
      December 11, 2019 12:06 PM MST

I've been "damned to hell" by countless others, countless times, simply for being me.
      December 11, 2019 8:11 PM MST

Why would  anyone want or need a medal ?
      December 11, 2019 2:46 PM MST