Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Where did all the earth come from on our planet that enabled all plant life to grow and later all animal and human life to spring from .?

Where did all the earth come from on our planet that enabled all plant life to grow and later all animal and human life to spring from .?

If our planet was formed from molton rock, where did all the plant life ,vegetation come from first to begin its life as part of a food chain to proved sustenance for all other vegetarians and   Car'niverious animals/ life forms to feed on ? 

Posted - December 17, 2019

Responses

I would imagine the quantrillions of tiny creatures inhabiting puddles of water living and dying would build up some kind of muck over millions of years that eventually created some form of soil for primitive plant life begin to take root.
      December 18, 2019 1:08 AM MST

It just shows how tiny things like me can a out to much bigger things when left alone to decompose myself...:)
      December 18, 2019 2:10 AM MST

There are only theories about how the initial life-forms first began. In other words...nobody really knows. Some say God did it. Some say alien life from comets. Check out this Wiki article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment
      December 18, 2019 7:31 AM MST

I meant the earth the trees and grass grow in....nothing really grow in rocks, there is no nutrients in rock per se
      December 18, 2019 8:05 AM MST

There are lots of nutrients in rocks. All kinds of minerals. Remember, soil is a mixture of clays, sand, and other stuff.
      December 18, 2019 10:52 AM MST

yes I know.....but where did it all come from...where did all the sand in the worlds desserts come from to...?
      December 18, 2019 3:23 PM MST

I'll try one more time. Tectonic activity...without which the earth would be a flat round ball covered with water.
      December 18, 2019 4:22 PM MST

Exactly papa....Without mountain ranges to make the clouds drop their water ,all human and animal life and even vegetation would be so much different...
      December 18, 2019 5:56 PM MST

Life is thought to have begun in the sea, as microbes able to thrive in an environment that would be now extremely toxic. Eventually, photosynthesising algae developed, breaking the atmosphere's abundant carbon-dioxide to form its own carbon-based protein, and releasing oxygen.

Once life (at first still microbial or algae)  could live on dry land, it would take its part in chemically-weathering the rocks - limited at the time mainly to igneous rock and their weathering derivatives: sand, sandstone and clay. (Sand for example, is grains of quartz, common to all igneous rocks even if the deposits of sand we see now have been transported by wind, sea or rivers far from their source.)

When these early plants died they would have decomposed into that weathering detritus to form humus - and this process still works today, which is partly why for example, freshly-exposed rock faces in new road cuttings become vegetated so rapidly.
      December 28, 2019 2:54 PM MST